Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: False Cliches

Default Re: False Cliches

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    Of course money makes things easier & more accessible but there are core parts of the human condition that, if absent, don't translate to bonafide happiness for the majority. Of course there are outliers.

Money solves a lot of problems that compound and cause people to be UNHAPPY but it's no subsitute for the foundation of someone's soul, for instance.
    Well I'll say this:

Some people can be happy with no money, a lot of people would be happy with a lot of momey

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    lol you must have made this argument in about a dozen different threads over the years and you're no more wrong now than you were then. and you captured the reason perfectly in your own post. before you spent a penny is exactly when you'd be running on adrenaline, feeling ecstatic, loving every second... but then you would begin to spend. and spend. and spend. until you have most everything you need and plenty of what you need. you would eventually, perhaps not even over too long of a period if you went on a real spree, lose your enthusiasm for buying things or even giving money away... sure the security would be nice to save for a rainy day or a crisis. but security is merely a prerequisite to happiness and not the same thing.

the idiom "money doesn't buy happiness" refers to lasting fulfillment. money does not offer lasting fulfillment. and the intense rush of acquiring a million dollars is as fleeting as the money itself.

good thread tho hateraid. i can't think of any offhand tbh

Use the money to travel instead of buying bullshit things. That would make me happy.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    money can't buy happiness

get real, yes it can are you fcking kidding me?...If a million $ fell in my lap right now I would be happy as fck, and that is before I've even spent a penny.

From what I have observed, a more accurate amendment to this saying would be "money can't change happiness."

In my experience people tend to have their natural dispositions pretty well entrenched. Obviously if you're in a lot of debt money can help relieve your stress, but otherwise the people who whistle while they work tend to do so whether they're pushing a broom for $10/hr or typing on a computer from the 25th floor of a highrise, and people who naturally tend to gripe and complain will also do so in either circumstance. Most people fluctuate between the two, and again, do so regardless of their circumstance.

So in general, no, I don't think a buttload of money is going to instantly make someone "happier" for the long term. People tend to make themselves happy or not on their own, and the degree to which they do seems to be kind of an innate aspect of their nature.

Money can definitely buy you happiness.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Use the money to travel instead of buying bullshit things. That would make me happy.
    my point isn't to say money can't be used to make people happy. my point is that giving a bunch of money to an unhappy person will not make them happy... though it may offer a temporary relief/distraction.

ah.. akrazotile more or less said the same thing above. though i don't agree with "entrenched dispositions". people can be surprisingly malleable under the right circumstances, even in adulthood.
    Last edited by RidonKs; 11-15-2014 at 12:58 AM.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    my point isn't to say money can't be used to make people happy. my point is that giving a bunch of money to an unhappy person will not make them happy... though it may offer a temporary relief/distraction.

ah.. akrazotile more or less said the same thing above. though i don't agree with "entrenched dispositions". people can be surprisingly malleable under the right circumstances, even in adulthood.
    That's just not true, not always anyway

There are a lot of people in bad situations due to lack of money... Unhappy because they are in poverty. Giving them 'a bunch of money' would be absolutely life changing to them, it would mean everything.

Why do you think people are flooding in US at the border? Risking their lives, and their kids lives just for a LITTLE money.

Part of the reason youre under the illusion that money can't bring happiness is probably because you've never been truely without it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    A change from little money to a lot Wil make you happy. For a while

But just having a lot of money won't make you happy
    People who are born loaded probably take it for granted, but the money is still giving them comfort and security that others don't have.

Kim Kardashian IS HAPPY, just look at her, always smiling, having the time of her life, doing whatever the fck she wants. She might be a moron but she is a happy moron. If she grew up in the ghetto she would likely be less happy, knocked up at age 15, no father in sight.

Right I'm not say money WILL buy happiness... I'm saying it CAN

Rich people can be depressed, poor people can be happy

Happiness increases on average with money though, this his been shown in several different studies. Not temporary happiness either, talking while life. Financial stress is very real.

Ok pt, we get it.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Ok pt, we get it.
    Some clearly are not getting it ace lol

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    From what I have observed, a more accurate amendment to this saying would be "money can't change happiness."

In my experience people tend to have their natural dispositions pretty well entrenched. Obviously if you're in a lot of debt money can help relieve your stress, but otherwise the people who whistle while they work tend to do so whether they're pushing a broom for $10/hr or typing on a computer from the 25th floor of a highrise, and people who naturally tend to gripe and complain will also do so in either circumstance. Most people fluctuate between the two, and again, do so regardless of their circumstance.

So in general, no, I don't think a buttload of money is going to instantly make someone "happier" for the long term. People tend to make themselves happy or not on their own, and the degree to which they do seems to be kind of an innate aspect of their nature.

Happiness is innate and has nothing to do with money. If you think money is going to make you happier, then you are too shallow to control what is inside you.

To me, happiness is going from a sh*tty state to a better one. If I get kidnap and someone saves me, true happiness is when I get out of it alive. If I'm broke as hell and then I get a good job, that's happiness. If I win a million bucks, yes, that's happiness because I am richer, but the money itself and what I do with it isn't happiness. If I've been single for a long time and then I meet the girl of my dreams, attaining the girl puts me in a better state, but the girl in and of herself isn't the root of my happiness.

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    Money can definitely buy you happiness.
    But many times it cannot (see: Williams, Robin).

Money can't buy them creativity to make them fun
    Money can buy people to be creative for you.

Get with it Randy

Would they be creative enough to think to hire those people?
    They got people for that too. I think.

Yeah sounds pretty bitchin'