Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default Re: Raps Get DeMar DeRozan @ #9

Quote Originally Posted by TMAC-RAPTORS
    No way a rookie at #9 starts. He will probally be a sixth man. Got a question, IF Delfino comes back, he will probably start at the 2 but who's gonna start at the 3 considering that Parker is leaving for Europe and Marion might not re sign. Graham? Oh gosh
    Colangelo did say a couple days ago that Marion had indeed expressed an interest in returning next year. If they pay him, he will stay.

Just watched a Derozen interview. It could be all talk but he said that.
    - He loves the city of Toronto and it's a beautiful city.
    - He's happy with the selection by the Raptors.
    - That Bosh is one of his favorite players.
    - That he believes his athleticism, jumper, defense, offense is all gonna help the raps, and that Jay Triano told him he's one of the best kept secrets in this NBA draft.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
    I don't know about starting right away, but definitely once he gets a bit more NBA ready, maybe mid-season, he should be given a shot at a starter role. If not, maybe he could be like Ben Gordon was back in his rookie season in giving us that spark as the 6th man off the bench and playing major 4th quarter minutes.
    Yeah, DeMar would have to have one hell of a training camp to get the starting job next season. Hopefully he progresses enough as the season goes on that eventually he earns the start. Don't know how, but have a feeling we will pick up another experienced two guard from somewhere, who will start.

I usually hit open layups TheGame's Avatar

Demar DeRozan was on the top of my list after Harden and Evans were already selected. He brings everything we need slasher/defender/wing player. He isn't the greatest in a half court system but excels in a fast pace game which we are trying to become. He's also got a great mid-range game shooting over 50%, his 3P% is terrible at 17% but we have a center that plays out on the wing anyways. I'm loving this pick but he needs to work his @ss off in the training camp.

Another candidate I wouldn't have mind was T-Will (Terrence Williams) he's already got an NBA ready body and would of been a safer pick.

I usually hit open layups TheGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
    Just watched a Derozen interview. It could be all talk but he said that.
    - He loves the city of Toronto and it's a beautiful city.
    - He's happy with the selection by the Raptors.
    - That Bosh is one of his favorite players.
    - That he believes his athleticism, jumper, defense, offense is all gonna help the raps, and that Jay Triano told him he's one of the best kept secrets in this NBA draft.
    Yeah that's what I've been reading so far too.
    "I didn't know it was this beautiful," DeRozan said. "When I got to the city, I didn't know. It reminded me a little of a mini New York. It's real nice."
    "I think it is very valid, especially with my athleticism," DeRozan said. "It is great to come to a beautiful city like Toronto."
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/...nba-draft.html
    http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...o-look-at.aspx

Also you guys can follow him on his twitter for the next few days. He's already decided to stay with his college number 10.
    http://twitter.com/demar_derozan

Banned

if he stayed another year at USC he wouldve been top 3 in the 2010 draft

he works hard and has unlimited potential

always a great combination

Serious playground baller DJMason's Avatar

Alright I feel I should qualify my start the kid comments that I made a 2am UK time. What I meant was that with the amount of potential that this kid has I'd like to start him over Delfino (not necissarily right away) so that we can develop him s much as possible in his first year to entice Bosh to stay based on hopefully a number of flashes of greatness that he will show over the course of the year. Is he actually qualified to be an NBA starter? Of course not, but neither is Delfino. If we're going to have a crappy year next year which we will if Delfino is our starting 2 then I'd rather give Bosh SOMETHING to look forward to and I'd hope that this kid's development would be it.

That said an upgrade at the 2 would be wonderful, I'd just rather start DeRozan over Delfino if for no other reason than to speed up his development.

Saw a basketball once YaoMing4MVP's Avatar

Did you guys hear his comments right afterwards?

"I'm gonna get healthcare for my entire family, as much as they need." Man, talk about getting out of the hood of Compton LA :-). I am happy for him, but it's just funny because he can start thinking about a lot more than just healthcare with his potential earnings. I can picture how poor his family was before he maded to the NBA.

I would have preferred Stephen Curry because he's got the Ray Allen Jumper and average 25 PPG in his finaly NCAA year. Still, not a bad pick.

We got some major issues coming up. Bosh is as good as gone and AP's stay is up in the air. We won't have a franchise player at the end of this season and may not have one for a very long time. There's a lot on BC's plate.

Be prepared for a couple years of rebuilding, that's all I can say.

Saw a basketball once

oh man great pick for the raptors.
    for one, when bosh leaves, the raps will still have two potential superstars.
    and if the rapts do a sign and trade with bosh , they can most likely get someone in return that will help right away.
    great great pick, im psych. about this season now lol.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

When NBA.com asked him with their pocket cam "Now that you are in the NBA, what is the first thing you are going to do?"

First thing he said was "Oh man, I've gotta hit the gym right away and get prepared for the long season ahead"

Such a great attitude with so much potential.

I am so damn psyched about this pick.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by YaoMing4MVP

We won't have a franchise player at the end of this season
    dont forget we got bargs xD

Saw a basketball once YaoMing4MVP's Avatar

The kid's only 19 and I agree with the notion that a #9 pick rookie usually doesn't start. The reason is that the Raptors doesn't suck to the point where a #9 rookie gets to start. If he was drafted by the wizzards or clippers, then for sure he'll start. He's development won't be as fast as if he were on a worse team.

We don't have a first round pick next season am I correct?

Saw a basketball once

dam,, i wont get to see this kid play next season....
    anybody know if i can watch raptors games online? preferably free xD

Local High School Star

It was finally the right pick by the Raps. Filled a need with an atheletic guy who has a very high ceiling. Love this pick.

Everyone keeps talking about Bosh being traded or walking. i think if the Raps get into the playoffs next year and maybe win a series...he stays. He's not gone till we all see him walking out the door. All this talk happened last time he signed his extension. I think he's taking the just wait and see approach. If they have moved far enough in the right direction he stays. If not worst case scenario is he gets signed and traded.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carrib
    oh man great pick for the raptors.
    for one, when bosh leaves, the raps will still have two potential superstars.
    and if the rapts do a sign and trade with bosh , they can most likely get someone in return that will help right away.
    great great pick, im psych. about this season now lol.

Who would those be?