shhhhhhh

Default Joe McDonnell has passed away

For those of us that have listened to LA sports radio Joe McDonnell aka Big Joe or the Big Nasty has passed away

He was the kind of sports reporter who could piss you off but you knew he was being genuine and truthful even if you didn't want to hear what he had to say

And he was a reporter first, one of the only true reporters doing sports radio in LA

How important/respected was he? Within an hour of his passing all of the major professional LA Sports franchises along with USC and UCLA had issued statements regarding his passing

He was the guy that had the respect of players and FOs alike despite his unapologetic reporting

He was called "Big Joe" because he was that BIG, before his gastric bypass surgery he himself reported he was close to 600 pounds.. the breaking point was when he fell once in his bedroom a few years ago and couldn't get up, he called one of his show producers from ESPN radio (I believe it was David Vesey)
    to come help him, in the end it took the fire department arriving to get him on his feet....lol

Health problems despite losing nearly 400 pounds have kept him off the air the last 3 4 years for the most part

The Dodgers have announced they'll be helping with the costs of his funeral

Default Re: Joe McDonnell has passed away

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    For those of us that have listened to LA sports radio Joe McDonnell aka Big Joe or the Big Nasty has passed away

He was the kind of sports reporter who could piss you off but you knew he was being genuine and truthful even if you didn't want to hear what he had to say

And he was a reporter first, one of the only true reporters doing sports radio in LA

How important/respected was he? Within an hour of his passing all of the major professional LA Sports franchises along with USC and UCLA had issued statements regarding his passing

He was the guy that had the respect of players and FOs alike despite his unapologetic reporting

He was called "Big Joe" because he was that BIG, before his gastric bypass surgery he himself reported he was close to 600 pounds.. the breaking point was when he fell once in his bedroom a few years ago and couldn't get up, he called one of his show producers from ESPN radio (I believe it was David Vesey)
    to come help him, in the end it took the fire department arriving to get him on his feet....lol

Health problems despite losing nearly 400 pounds have kept him off the air the last 3 4 years for the most part

The Dodgers have announced they'll be helping with the costs of his funeral
    Very sad news indeed. I used to listen to him, I think he tried to go back at sports radio about 6 years ago with Vic the Brick but it didn't last. Then I heard him doing some sports news on 1070AM then he was gone again.

Dunking on everybody in the park magictricked's Avatar

Default Re: Joe McDonnell has passed away

Last night ESPN did a tribute to Joe for close to two hours, last guest of the night was Joes wife. Joe and Doug use to do a segement where they and callers to the show would kick people out of LA. In the final minutes of the show last night Joes wife officially kicked Joe out of LA to a better place