Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: What would Larry Bird and Magic average in this Era?

Bird: 30/10/5 on 55% shooting, 50% 3pt
    Magic: 21/7/13 on 52% shooting, 4 spg

Lets face it, the league is getting weaker nowadays, those all-time greats will shit on most players like cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Because he would just take more shots?

It's not like he doesn't have the skill with isos, moving without the ball, or post up. I don't think it's that big of an issue if Bird wanted to score. If other players did it in a slower pace league who played with him like Wilkins and Jordan, I don't see why Bird cannot. Bird could average 26-30 ppg if he want to.

The less FGAs would affect the role players, but not the superstars because they are your number 1 option.

Magic would probably average the similar numbers. I don't know if he'll keep his FG%, but he will still have crazy efficiency.
    Bird wasnt an iso type player. He scored off screens, picks and steals.

And fir the life of me, how or why would he take more shots? Did he not have the green light to shoot at willl

Magic 19 Pts 6 Reb 11 Ast 1.5 Stl
    Bird 23 Pts 9 Reb 5.7 Ast 1.6 Stl 0.8 BS, 50/40/90

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls

And fir the life of me, how or why would he take more shots? Did he not have the green light to shoot at willl
    He could without a doubt score iso in the post. The guy did drop 60 in a game and he did average 30 in a season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rto2_oYVs0I

I really don't see Bird having a problem scoring 26-28 a night on a team with no scorers, he was an elite shooter, moved well off the ball, and had a terrific post game. It's not like he depended on screens and picks to score all the time.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls

Are post ups and the team clearing out are not isos? Is facing someone up and taking someone off the dribble are not isos? He was much more than scored off screens and steals. He did almost everything despite his lack of athleticism. And he definitely took players one on one. They couldn't stop him. He didn't depend on screens to score.

And the reason why he would take more shots is because he could be their best offensive player. I don't know why is this difficult to grasp that he could average 19-22 FGA and score 26-30 ppg. He did it on a stacked team, having the most FGA above Mchale and Parish, and those players are better scorers than most all-stars today. And Bird is a better scorer than Melo who won the scoring title this year, who had 22.2 FGAs.

It depends on how stacked Bird team is, but I can see him having 18-22 FGAs, which will result to him averaging about 26-30 ppg.
    Last edited by Micku; 06-28-2013 at 03:38 AM.

Good High School Starter

Idk why y'all are making it so hard, what he's saying makes perfect sense. Is it not common sense that in a league where the pace is much faster you're going to take more shots? Vice versa

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
    Idk why y'all are making it so hard, what he's saying makes perfect sense. Is it not common sense that in a league where the pace is much faster you're going to take more shots? Vice versa
    Because it won't apply to superstars that much. Take Karl Malone for example.

In 1987-88, the Utah Jazz pace was 101.5, sixth fastest pace in the league. The team as a whole took 7092 FGA. Karl Malone average 20.1 FGA and average 27.7 ppg.

In 1996-97 (almost a decade later), the Utah Jazz pace was 90.0, 17th place out of 29 teams. The team as a whole took 6217 FGA. Karl Malone average 19.2 FGA and average 27.4 ppg.

Virtually the same despite the transition to fast and slow pace.

To compare, Miami Heat 2013 pace is 90.7. And the team as a whole took 6348. So they are slightly faster.

And this isn't the only example. You have Michael Jordan, Hakeem, Dominique Wilkins, Reggie Miller, Joe Dumars, Barkley and etc. Pace won't affect superstars all that much. They will get their shots, especially someone of the caliber as Larry Bird. It'll affect the role players.
    Last edited by Micku; 06-28-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Luchini from the sky TheAnchorman's Avatar

Bird's stats would dip slightly. I'm probably going for a 24/11/6 with 48-50% FG. Today's league has better defense, and a huge number of athletic SFs and swingmen that would give Bird a much harder time than during the mid 80s where it was mostly offense. Imagine you are in 84-87, and you were Larry Bird, and you had an Alex English, Dominique or Dantley guarding your ass usually. The only people that really gave him trouble were Michael Cooper and Dennis Rodman.

Today you'd have Lebron, Paul George, Kawhi, Tony Allen, Iguodala, Ibaka, Battier, Shumpert... 3s or 4s that are athletic, physical guys who can take you out of your rhythm. I feel that Bird would be smart enough to reinvent himself as more of a stretch 4 who can rebound with the best of them, hence why I bumped up his rebounding stats.

With Magic it depends on the pace of his team. If he was the 1st option he would probably average 23/7/11, but if he was running a D'Antoni offense that somehow became successful it would probably go up to 1987 numbers or even higher. Otherwise if he was "2nd" banana it would probably be more conservative 18/7/12, 50%. Still beastly as ****.

The only problem with Magic is he'd be even more exposed on defense, considering the amazing number of point guards in the league today that can exploit him on a daily basis.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

My point is exactly that. Iverson was considered a chucker. Bird wasnt. Iverson taking 25 shots in the early 00s was equivalent to taking probably 28 in the 80s. And mind you that was Birds max.

If Bird took roughly 20 shots in a league that avg about 7100 shots per team, how is he gonna get the same 20 in a league where the avg team takes about 6500?

The same way Kevin Love got 20 a game in 2012. He would...shoot the ball about 20 times. What about that is hard for you to imagine?

I cant even believe you are serious right now.

I don't see why Magic would only average about 6 rebounds in this league when he averaged a lot more in the 80s, is 6'7/6'8, and may play SF/PF more often in this era. 8 seems more realistic to me. As a PG he'd probably average 18-11-8, but would crack 20 ppg on his peak scoring year. As a SF/PF he'd average over 20 points, 9/10 rebounds and 6 assists.

Bird would be an awesome scorer right now. Not only does shooting translate to any era, but he could do the Durant rip-through move or the Wade pump fake and would get a ton of free throws, which he would convert at a high rate.

Very good NBA starter

some of you saying these top 10 all time players can't break 20ppg?

put the crack pipe down.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by DCL

put the crack pipe down.
    On a board where people say top 10-20 all time players would be lucky to even get off the bench, for the life of me I don't understand why that would surprise anyone.

Anyone not playing in the here and now would be a marginal player at best and a complete scrub at worst. That's how most of the people here think.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DCL

put the crack pipe down.
    Yeah, I mean Dirk is averaging 26/10 in the playoffs. Let's say for argument's sake that Bird is "only" as good as Nowitzki in terms of scoring/rebounding ( we all know Bird is clearly the better player, but I'll run with this...), and now you add his superior passing into the mix and you'll get something like 26/10/7 maybe? So what's the worst case for Bird in today's league? Prime Dirk with better passing? Sounds like a tie with Lebron for the best player in the league...

Impossible to predict exactly the numbers, but they would form 2 of the top 3 players in the league.

Discount 10% from their original stats because of the pace, then discount another 10% because of the quality of the defense and you have their stats.

Bird - 23/8/6
    Magic - 19/6/9