Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Default Re: What would Larry Bird and Magic average in this Era?

Quote Originally Posted by Living Being
    This ain't 1980 playboy. It's 2013.

Serious playground baller 1Time4YourMind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation
    Pace.

Rondo was the only player to get over 9.7 and he INTENTIONALLY gives up shots to pad his assists. Shit, CP3, D-WIll, etc couldn't get 10. Not even close...
    even tho i dont think bird/magics stats should be that low you have a point. today's game is more half-court oriented than the 80s was, the possessions per game are down, and most of all you have a lot of athletic forwards that can give bird or magic a much harder time than the 80s. everyone was either a druggie or just cared about scoring. i swear one of the reasons why the fastbreak was so successful early on before teams started to catch up was bc everyone was too coked out to hustle down the floor everytime magic pushed the ball. u cant say that today.

Gotta lol at this "pace" BS. People don't think Bird would, I don't know, just shoot more?!?! Dude was a scorer. One of the greatest scorers EVER. Quit talking out of your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Gotta lol at this "pace" BS. People don't think Bird would, I don't know, just shoot more?!?! Dude was a scorer. One of the greatest scorers EVER. Quit talking out of your asses.
    LeBron got 27 on 17.8 FGA

Bird, in the weaker defensive era, got 21.3 on 17.8 FGA, and 19.4 ppg on 17 FGA.

Let it sink in.

Let. It. Sink. In.

Entity of Existence Living Being's Avatar

This ain't 1980 playboy. It's 2013.
    Chris Paul averaged 23/11 in 2009 at a slower league pace and 21/11.6 in 2008 at about the same league pace.

Nash averaged 19/11 during years with slower league pace than 2013.

Magic averaged 12.6 ast/g in 1991 at league pace 5.9% higher than 2013 (and the Lakers team pace was only 2% higher than 2013 average). Lakers PPG was 99.6 compared to 2013 average of 98.1.

Paul and Nash >>>> Magic f*cking Johnson?

LeBron got 27 on 17.8 FGA

Bird, in the weaker defensive era, got 21.3 on 17.8 FGA, and 19.4 ppg on 17 FGA.

Let it sink in.

Let. It. Sink. In.
    Bird also "got" 30 on 21 shots. Sit your ass down, kiddo.

False.

NEXT

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Magic: 17 ppg, 7 rpg, 10 apg, 45% FG
    Bird: 19 ppg, 6 rpg, 6 apg, 48% FG

The game has evolved, the tempo of the game has changed and guys are much bigger / more athletic nowadays. Since they're basketball prodigies they will still find a way and make the necessary adjustments, but you're an idiot if you expect them to dominate like they did, it's like expecting Carl Lewis to outrun Usain Bolt.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Larry Bird in the Half Court Situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBnwSeMiVaU

Quote Originally Posted by Human Error
    Magic: 17 ppg, 7 rpg, 10 apg, 45% FG
    Bird: 19 ppg, 6 rpg, 6 apg, 48% FG

The game has evolved, the tempo of the game has changed and guys are much bigger / more athletic nowadays. Since they're basketball prodigies they will still find a way and make the necessary adjustments, but you're an idiot if you expect them to dominate like they did, it's like expecting Carl Lewis to outrun Usain Bolt.
    Basketball isn't track and field, you moron.

Please explain why Jordan, who played in the 80's, had SEVEN 40pt games (not including his 51pt game) at 39 and 40 years old. I'll wait.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Basketball isn't track and field, you moron.

Please explain why Jordan, who played in the 80's, had SEVEN 40pt games (not including his 51pt game) at 39 and 40 years old. I'll wait.
    Oh my god you freaking idiot, MJ only shot 41.5% from the field and 18.9% from beyond the arc that season. Of course he still averaged 22.9 ppg and his sheer greatness was able to give you occasional classic games but you're a stupid cotdamn moron if you thought he dominated like he used to. I believe a prime MJ would fare better than Bird or Magic in this era but his numbers would still have taken a hit regardless, the teams don't average 120+ points a game anymore.

If you do not like the track and field comparison(you have a point but basketball, among all major professional sports, still requires the most physical tools and athleticism), what about Jack Nicklaus vs Tiger Woods? John McEnroe vs Rafael Nadal? Hulk Hogan vs Brock Lesnar? Games evolve you idiot and it's not the other way around.
    Last edited by Human Error; 06-29-2013 at 09:20 PM.

He had 29 on 22 shots and 30 on 22 shots... but that's not what impresses me about Bird. Are posters aware that he lead the league minutes per game twice ? I don't see him slowing down any less with slower pace and a league that benefits his scoring skills.

Ditto for Magic, who would cause mis-matches with his size and could get his points in the paint.

Bird would be a Top 3-5 scorer today, IMO. Magic would be around the 17-23pig range, depending what his role is. I don't see him cranking over 25+ (he wasn't really that type of player), but low 20's as a top scoring option seems right.

Quote Originally Posted by Human Error
    Oh my god you freaking idiot, MJ only shot 41.5% from the field and 18.9% from beyond the arc that season. Of course he still averaged 22.9 ppg and his sheer greatness was able to give you occasional classic games but you're a stupid cotdamn moron if you thought he dominated like he used to. I believe a prime MJ would fare better than Bird or Magic in this era but his numbers would still have taken a hit regardless, the teams don't average 120+ points a game anymore.
    I never said, "he dominated like he used to". Learn to read.

If this guy, because of his "sheer greatness", was able to put up multiple 40 point games at 39 and 40 years old, just think what he would have done in his 20's. The guy would dominate the landscape of the NBA today; maybe even more-so with the lax perimeter rules. Educate yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    He had 29 on 22 shots and 30 on 22 shots... but that's not what impresses me about Bird. Are posters aware that he lead the league minutes per game twice ? I don't see him slowing down any less with slower pace and a league that benefits his scoring skills.

Ditto for Magic, who would cause mis-matches with his size and could get his points in the paint.

Bird would be a Top 3-5 scorer today, IMO. Magic would be around the 17-23pig range, depending what his role is. I don't see him cranking over 25+ (he wasn't really that type of player), but low 20's as a top scoring option seems right.
    Yeah, that was just off the top of my head. Good points, btw.

Yeah, that was just off the top of my head. Good points, btw.
    I knew that was the 87-88 season you were referring to, as well.

Bird had a damn good case of winning MVP 4 times in 5 years.