Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: The Greatest Rebounder

Rodman

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by HiphopRelated
    Rodman
    Any argument for Rodman goes out the window in the post-season. And how many rebounding titles did Rodman win? Chamberlain won ELEVEN.

Not airballing my layups anymore Obama=ROY's Avatar

Dennis Rodman is the greatest rebounder.

Decent college freshman

One can only imagine if Chamberlain or Russell morphed themselves into offensive liabilities and intentionally blew defensive assignments as to not venture too far away from the basket and pass up a rebound. He did indeed have a strong instinct as to where the ball would end up in addition to a quick 1st, 2nd, & 3rd jump, but he was not head and shoulders above others of his era as to me he was a better 1-1 defensive player with the Pistons than he was rebounder. As great as he was with the Bad Boys, Chicago Rodman is very overrated.

Decent college freshman

Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Any argument for Rodman goes out the window in the post-season. And how many rebounding titles did Rodman win? Chamberlain won ELEVEN.
    Buddy it's clearly an argument and Wilt isn't the clear cut GOAT rebounding, you can be happy with your choice and we'll be happy choosing Rodman.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    As much as I respect your opinions...I just don't think this debate is even close. Yes, Russell had a game seven with 40 rebounds...but it was not against Wilt. In the four game seven's between the two, Wilt won three of them and tied in the other. Not only that, but in the clinching game five win in the 66-67 ECF's Chamberlain outrebounded Russell, 36-21.

Once again, I can find a TON of games in which Chamberlain just annihilated Russell on the glass, and only a very few in which Russell enjoyed much of an edge.

In their 40 rebound games each other, here is how it went...

Russell 40, Wilt 25
    Wilt 43, Russell 29
    Wilt 55, Russell 19
    Wilt 43, Russell 26
    Wilt 40, Russell 17
    Wilt 42, Russell 25
    Wilt 41, Russell 29 (playoffs)
    Wilt 42, Russell 18

And, Chamberlain held an incredible 23-4 edge in 35+ rebound games.
    Russell's goal wasn't to outrebound Wilt, it was to beat him.

Wilt thought if he got more rebounds then Russ and scored twice as much they'd win, Russell knew if he could contain Wilt late in games, he'd win.

It's been pointed out that Wilt conceded Russell was the better rebounder.

I told you I think Wilt has the stronger argument but I'm with Russell on this one by a nose.

The fact that Wilt outrebounded Russell head-to-head suggests that Wilt was trying specifically to do that. My evidence would be the fact that Russ still had the higher postseason average when all games were factored in. Obviously Russell dominated other players on the glass more because he had an edge there as oppose to against Wilt where he was giving up so much. Why didn't Wilt dominate the other players as much as Russell did. If he could get the best of Russ by such a wide margin, why not post even bigger numbers against everyone else?

I only have one Bulls game on VHS and watching Rodman rebound is truly one of the most amazing things in the world to me. I consider him my number 2 most amazing player strictly because of his rebounding. Pure intelligence.

i seen some of the ealiers Sixers games on NBA TV and Moses Malone is the most powerful and nastiest rebounder that i have ever seen.

1. Wilt

2. Russell

3. Rodman

4. Moses Malone

5. Nate Thurmond

Magic Johnson

When you factor in the various styles of play, eras, and teammates, it's next to impossible to define the greatest rebounder of all-time. Obviously you have a couple of guys who warrant mention.

Russell, Chamberlain, Rodman come to mind.

Dennis Rodman

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Russell's goal wasn't to outrebound Wilt, it was to beat him.

Wilt thought if he got more rebounds then Russ and scored twice as much they'd win, Russell knew if he could contain Wilt late in games, he'd win.

It's been pointed out that Wilt conceded Russell was the better rebounder.

I told you I think Wilt has the stronger argument but I'm with Russell on this one by a nose.

The fact that Wilt outrebounded Russell head-to-head suggests that Wilt was trying specifically to do that. My evidence would be the fact that Russ still had the higher postseason average when all games were factored in. Obviously Russell dominated other players on the glass more because he had an edge there as oppose to against Wilt where he was giving up so much. Why didn't Wilt dominate the other players as much as Russell did. If he could get the best of Russ by such a wide margin, why not post even bigger numbers against everyone else?
    Part of that was because Russell's teams usually got to play deeper into the playoffs. A good example was the 61-62 Finals. Russell was able to feast on the Laker front court that season. You mentioned Russell's brilliant game seven of that series, a 30-40 game. Well, I have always maintained that had Chamberlain's band of clowns in 61-62 been able to score THREE more points in that game seven against the Celtics, that we would have seen Finals' records in scoring and rebounding that would probably never have been matched. Why? In six regular season games against the Lakers, he averaged 51.5 ppg, including THREE games of 60+. And, in one of them, he had a monstrous 78-43 game.

Having said that, however, Wilt just plain outrebounded everybody. In the 66-67 Finals, he outrebounded Thurmond by a 28.5 - 26.7 margin...and this was following his series against Russell, whom he outrebounded by a 32.0 - 23.0 margin.

I mentioned Wilt's clinching game five performance in the '72 Finals... 47 minutes, 29 rebounds, in a game that had a TOTAL of 106 (LA had 67, while the Knicks had 39.) Not only that, but he was playing with one fractured wrist, and the other badly sprained. And, he was 35 at the time.

Don't get me wrong...Russell was, IMHO, the most skilled rebounder ever. Even Wilt admitted as much. Still, Chamberlain's incredible athleticism enabled him to dominate virtually every opposing center he faced. I just believe that Wilt was by FAR the greatest rebounder in NBA history, and that Russell is a distant second. After that, and well below, comes Rodman, Thurmond, Lucas (at his peak), and M. Malone.

NBA lottery pick

First of all, none of you idiots have seen Wilt play and are just making up nonsense that you have speculated from studying the overrated stats of Wilt and Russel.

D-Rod.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    First of all, none of you idiots have seen Wilt play and are just making up nonsense that you have speculated from studying the overrated stats of Wilt and Russel.

D-Rod.
    Well, even if I had not seen Wilt play...which of course, I did...how much speculation needs to be done? ELEVEN rebounding titles. Virtually EVERY major rebounding record. AND, he DOMINATED virtually EVERY center he faced. Oh, BTW, he ELEVATED his play in the post-season, too.

Rodman, as a glorified role player, won seven titles, in an era of the worst rebounding centers in NBA history, and then, in the POST-SEASON, he dropped down to an average rebounder, at best.