Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Respond to this thread you were never a fan of Michael Jordan growing up in the 90's?

Quote Originally Posted by LikeABosh
    Magic was my first love in basketball
    You are cool cat now in my book.

Default Re: Respond to this thread you were never a fan of Michael Jordan growing up in the 90's?

All these people here got butthurt by MJ back in the day

NBA Superstar

I was a youngster in the early 90's and as a Detroit native, I hated Michael Jordan due to the whole Bad Boys rivalry thing. I also hated the idea of the Bulls beating the Pistons. Then, when Jordan came back from retirement, I'd had a change of heart. I also think I'd matured a little (no longer irrational second grader). I loved the Jordan comeback. The game against the Pacers, the buzzer beater against Atlanta and of course, the double nickel (not to mention the mid-series jersey change).

Then, by the following season, he and his team had once again become so dominant and media coverage of a winning squad so insufferable, that I once again became pretty numb to all things MJ and Chicago. I never hated him during his comeback, but it was just a little much. Always on NBC, always leading Sportscenter, I just wasn't a mega fan. That said, I appreciated him a bit more than I did the first time around. I watched all his big moments and was okay with them.

I'm also one of the rare folk who loved his Wizards comeback. I was bummed when he was bested, but I was all about those vintage moments. As I think about it, perhaps I just like the underdog a little. I seemed to have best enjoyed Jordan when the odds were at least a little bit against him.

I also didn't become a fan of Jordan shoes until 2000 when I was searching for a pair of high tops to combat ankle issues from the previous season. I settled on a pair of Jordan V's and never looked back.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 02-17-2013 at 01:50 PM.

I loathed him when I was a kid. Especially his popularity. It would make me so mad that all the kids in my school were either Blazers fans (local team) or Bulls fans (aka, little bandwagoners!)

Even back in 2nd grade I knew if you rooted for the team just because they won a lot it meant you were a douche!

I seem to recall groups of us yelling back and forth when we were walking in lines. "BLAZERS!" "BULLS!" "BLAZERS!" etc etc. Apparently in our minds back then whoever had the most people yelling a particular team's name meant that team was the better team.

(I think this is actually how it still works on message boards..)

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

I definitely did not like him at the time. I was a pistons fan and thought he was an asshole. Then, I lived in Chicago during the 2nd threepeat and hated the hype/crowing. I never denied he was a great player or anything, but I certainly didnt root for him.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan76
    And Jordan PUSHED OFF against brian russell

And he stepped on the line when he claimed he jumped from the foul line
    And if he hadn't hit "The Shot" against the Cavs, you're convinced there never would've been a Bulls dynasty.

Anything else? Or did you get it all out of your system?

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

most people who were bball, non bulls fans, in the 90s hated MJ cause he denied a lot of rings for other teams.. then he won so much that the fans started developing stockholm syndrome.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Never liked him. One of the greatest players of all time, but I don't like his style or the "me first" era he helped usher in. Give me a team player like Magic or Bird any day over Jordan.
    What about gasol and nice avi

National High School Star

And why the f*ck is his 63 pt game always talked about when the celtics lost the game?

Should 63 pts matter if your team still loses the game?

And why the f*ck is his 63 pt game always talked about when the celtics lost the game?

Because it's an NBA record for most points in a playoff game? And it was Jordan and his below average supporting cast nearly beating arguably the GOAT team in the Garden.

Not that it really would've mattered, because they probably still would've won the series, but that would've tied the series 1-1.

NBA Superstar

Yes, 63 points should still matter. An incredible individual effort is an incredible effort, regardless of whether Gene Banks and Dave Corzine are able to hold up their end of the bargain.

So almost beating one of the greatest teams ever singlehandedly the same season you come back from injury isn't impressive?

I wasn't an MJ fan. I appreciated that he was great and that I got to see him play live a few times. But that's it.

I was born in 1995. Never got to see Jordan in his heyday, it's a shame.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Yes, 63 points should still matter. An incredible individual effort is an incredible effort, regardless of whether Gene Banks and Dave Corzine are able to hold up their end of the bargain.

That's bullsh&T. Individual accomplishments should not be praised if the team lost the game

The End