Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Who started the myth about Kobe not being very athletic?

As you can see in the NBA stars dunking on other stars thread, Kobe had some crazy dunks back in his Frobe days (and even some when he first switched to #24).

Was it because some say he wasn't as athletic as the likes of VC, MJ and Nique?

I challenge that notion. No, I'm not saying Bean was more athletic than, say, Vince, but Kobe's always been in that group of greatest athletes in NBA history, IMO. A group I believe consists of, in no particular order:

MJ
    Vince
    Nique
    Glyde
    Pip
    Dr. J
    Ron Harper (before his first knee injury)
    David Thompson
    Kobe
    Lebron
    Wade

I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few, and I'm mainly thinking of guys I either grew up watching or know about because of NBA history (only saw the last few years of Dr. J's career and non of Thomspon's career). But any list about the greatest athletes in NBA history has to include Jellybean Bryant's son.

Default Re: Who started the myth about Kobe not being very athletic?

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    As you can see in the NBA stars dunking on other stars thread, Kobe had some crazy dunks back in his Frobe days (and even some when he first switched to #24).

Was it because some say he wasn't as athletic as the likes of VC, MJ and Nique?

I challenge that notion. No, I'm not saying Bean was more athletic than, say, Vince, but Kobe's always been in that group of greatest athletes in NBA history, IMO. A group I believe consists of, in no particular order:

MJ
    Vince
    Nique
    Glyde
    Pip
    Dr. J
    Ron Harper (before his first knee injury)
    David Thompson
    Kobe
    Lebron
    Wade

I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few, and I'm mainly thinking of guys I either grew up watching or know about because of NBA history (only saw the last few years of Dr. J's career and non of Thomspon's career). But any list about the greatest athletes in NBA history has to include Jellybean Bryant's son.
    Prime Gus Johnson would likely scare the shit out of half of those guys. Just as good a leaper, very aggressive and just as agile but stronger than all of them save for Lebron.

Also... how are any of them better athletes than say, Wilt Chamberlain? What's your criteria for athletic?

Of course Kobe's an all-time great athlete, anyone who says he isn't is just trolling. He's one of the most athletic wings there has been.

Hyperbole to over exaggerate Kobe's "every man" quality in comparison to LeBron in particular. Kobe was always extremely athletic. He's just a notch below the Jordan, and LeBron class. Which there is no shame, those are transcendent athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Prime Gus Johnson would likely scare the shit out of half of those guys. Just as good a leaper, very aggressive and just as agile but stronger than all of them save for Lebron.

Also... how are any of them better athletes than say, Wilt Chamberlain? What's your criteria for athletic?

Of course Kobe's an all-time great athlete, anyone who says he isn't is just trolling. He's one of the most athletic wings there has been.

I'm mostly thinking about wing players, though Wilt was most definitely one of the most athletic guys in NBA history. And you bringing up Gus Johnson (who was a beast) reminded me of Connie Hawkins.

Prime Gus Johnson
    Kinda OT, but would you say Gus was the first generational wing athlete? Chronologically, who else in league history, is at or near his level in your opinion?

it was started because Kobe is always compared to MJ who is more athletic than him. but compared to the average NBA player Kobe is an elite athlete.

a superstar that isn't very athletic is someone like Carmelo Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Kinda OT, but would you say Gus was the first generational wing athlete? Chronologically, who else in league history, is at or near his level in your opinion?
    I'd say Elgin Baylor (another athletic great, though of course I've never seen him play, only highlights and what I know of NBA history).

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    I'm mostly thinking about wing players, though Wilt was most definitely one of the most athletic guys in NBA history. And you bringing up Gus Johnson (who was a beast) reminded me of Connie Hawkins.
    Connie was long and graceful and had giant hands. Like Kevin Durant but with among the biggest hands in history. Not necessarily athletic in the sense of strength. His leaping ability probably wasn't stupendous but he was 6-8 (probably without shoes) with a condor armspan so he could allegedly free throw line dunk in his youth. I think it was Hubie Brown who said he saw Hawkins do it.

If Hawkins makes the cut I don't know why Baylor couldn't be considered, what he lacked in say, Hawkins length or Vince Carters vertical he still matched them in equal body control while having some of that superior Lebron-like strength that absorbed contact better with his wide body. It's really tough to say I just know Gus Johnson was heralded as a legitimate freak in the 60's, in pure explosive leaping, and freakish strength and agility on top of it he was the total athletic package save for being injury prone.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Hyperbole to over exaggerate Kobe's "every man" quality in comparison to LeBron in particular. Kobe was always extremely athletic. He's just a notch below the Jordan, and LeBron class. Which there is no shame, those are transcendent athletes.
    Thanks for proving my point SWISH.

You get flat out asshurt when ever anyone gives Kobe any props.

You're obsessed.

Great thread OP.

Connie was long and graceful and had giant hands. Like Kevin Durant but with among the biggest hands in history. Not necessarily athletic in the sense of strength. His leaping ability probably wasn't stupendous but he was 6-8 (probably without shoes) with a condor armspan so he could allegedly free throw line dunk in his youth. I think it was Hubie Brown who said he saw Hawkins do it.

If Hawkins makes the cut I don't know why Baylor couldn't be considered, what he lacked in say, Hawkins length or Vince Carters vertical he still matched them in equal body control while having some of that superior Lebron-like strength that absorbed contact better with his wide body. It's really tough to say I just know Gus Johnson was heralded as a legitimate freak in the 60's, in pure explosive leaping, and freakish strength and agility on top of it he was the total athletic package save for being injury prone.

Yeah, Gus, Hawk and Baylor gotta be on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    Thanks for proving my point SWISH.

You get flat out asshurt when ever anyone gives Kobe any props.

You're obsessed.

Great thread OP.
    I just gave Kobe props? TF you talking about? Psycho ... My original username here was "Mamba", I could be considered a Kobe fan. He's one of my three favorite players ever.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    I just gave Kobe props? TF you talking about? Psycho ... My original username here was "Mamba", I could be considered a Kobe fan. He's one of my three favorite players ever.

**** it, I'm over it. Just bringing bullshit from another thread and taking away from this good discussion. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Who is as athletic as him since him? Not too many guys. There have been plenty of agile wings that can leap out the building after him and maybe some during/before his time (though not many) but if you factor in his strength probably not many have quite equaled him after. So I don't know what you'd call him the first of. He's built a lot stronger than most wing players, he is to Charles Barkley what Wilt is to Shaq. A slightly taller longer, leaner, yet still possibly just as strong freak specimen. Gus in this case wasn't as good a player as Barkley though, at least not on the offensive end.

Johnson was so strong and had such long arms and was so useful at grabbing rebounds he was used more as the inside/power forward on the Bullets. Even though according to Nate Thurmond he could handle the ball well with both hands. Actually, Gus Johnson and Nate Thurmond went to the same high school together. Despite the specimen Thurmond was, Gus Johnson was that teams center.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 01-26-2015 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    Just bringing bullshit from another thread and taking away from this good discussion. My bad.

Shouldn't have said what I did to you about your weight bro. I don't know you like that ... you could be Hulk sized ready to whip my ass for all I know.

Let's keep it topic related. SMH if you think I don't like Kobe though. I just dropped crazy money for floor seats on Christmas trying to see Mamba up close one last time.

I usually hit open layups

No pre-injury Penny? Damn...