Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: Karl Malone on Dan Patrick Show "Charles is the 3d Best PF, Duncan is a Center...

Quote Originally Posted by wakencdukest
    Karl Malone's crazy. I'd put Duncan at 1, Barkley at 2, and Malone 3 at best. he might even be tied with Garnett for third.
    Again, people were calling Malone the GOAT power foward before Duncan. Malone would have a vested interest in disqualifying Duncan in order to proclaim himself the GOAT power forward. Why in the world is this a surprise? It's utterly baffling to me that no one else can understand this. It's purely self-interest.

Good High School Starter

Default Re: Karl Malone on Dan Patrick Show "Charles is the 3d Best PF, Duncan is a Center...

Duncan can play either the PF or C position extremely well

GM Survey 2002

Who is the NBA's best power forward?
    Tim Duncan - 80.8%
    *Kevin Garnett - 11.5%
    *Dirk Nowitzki - 7.7%

GM Survey 2007

Who is the best power forward in the NBA?

1. Tim Duncan, San Antonio 48.1%
    2. Kevin Garnett, Boston 25.9%
    3. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas 18.5%
    Who is the best center in the NBA?
    1. Tim Duncan, San Antonio 48.1%
    2. Yao Ming, Houston Rockets 33.3%
    3. Dwight Howard, Orlando 7.4%
    Shaquille O'Neal, Miami 7.4%
    5. Amare Stoudemire, Phoenix 3.7%

However,Duncan in his prime was first and foremost a PF.He had good handles,solid first step and mid-range game for a big man.Tim could score in a variety of ways.He was a very versatile player.

Tim Duncan 2001 Playoffs: 40pts, Gm 2 vs. LA Lakers

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    Again, people were calling Malone the GOAT power foward before Duncan. Malone would have a vested interest in disqualifying Duncan in order to proclaim himself the GOAT power forward. Why in the world is this a surprise? It's utterly baffling to me that no one else can understand this. It's purely self-interest.
    And People Where Calling Barkley the 2nd Best Player in the Game after Michael in 1992 but Few Remember This. But So?

In My Way Off Seeing It:

Duncan is the 2nd Best CF after Hakeem.
    Barkley is the Best Peek and Prime Powerfoward Ever
    Malone is after Kareem...The Player That Had The Best Longevity and The Best PF if You Take Into Count Longevity

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Spurs have started other guys at Center besides Robinson over the years. They were just scrubby, big-body guys like Nesterovic, Muhammed, Willis, Oberto, and Elson... so nobody remembers them.

I'd say Duncan has played Center since maybe 2007-2008. That was more out of necessity though, as the league changed, and it became all about spreading the floor and getting the rim (and the FT line). I mean, can you imagine an early 2000's Popovich team playing like they do now? Shooting all these 3's? Pop would probably have had a heart attack.

And I have no problem with Malone over KG. I just feel like KG has both the higher peak and better accolades.

I remember all those guys. They sucked. Duncan said publicly that he wanted to stay at PF.

I'm guessing that the Clippers would have matched, but the Spurs could have pursued Elton Brand. He was a RFA the Summer after Robinson retired. They could also have pursued Karl Malone, even for one season. He was interested in them. But Duncan would have had to move to C and he didn't want to.

Duncan played PF and of that there should be no doubt. In 07/08 Oberto wa still the starting C. But Duncan moved there the next year. McDyess was never playing C.

If we're sticking to positional designations, on the GOAT list:

Duncan>KG>Pettit>Barkley>Malone>McHale

but separating 4's and 5's is more of an art than a science. Bigs are bigs IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii

Petit? OOOOH. I don't know about all that. You have Dirk #7, I'd assume? That's a bit low.

[QUOTE=Round Mound][B]True but Duncan Fans Wan`t To Force the Powerfoward Issue So He Can Rank N
    Last edited by Whoah10115; 01-26-2013 at 01:14 AM.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

KG over Barkley, McHale and Malone?

Funny....

Garnett is way ahead of McHale.
    I dont know about that.. McHale was nasty dude.. He had like 15 moves on the block.. He practically invented the up and under move..

I would probably give McHale the edge between him and KG..

KG is a hall of famer.... But I would take prime Mchale simply due to his ability to go to work down on the block..

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    And People Where Calling Barkley the 2nd Best Player in the Game after Michael in 1992 but Few Remember This. But So?
    I'm not one of the "many who don't remember," as I was watching basketball during that time, and I've also posted articles on this very board on how Barkley was regarded during that time. So you can save your spiel with me because I lived and watched it, and thus don't need people telling me what I already know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    I dont know about that.. McHale was nasty dude.. He had like 15 moves on the block.. He practically invented the up and under move..

I would probably give McHale the edge between him and KG..

KG is a hall of famer.... But I would take prime Mchale simply due to his ability to go to work down on the block..

I couldn't agree. McHale is an all-time defender, but KG has him there. Just as he does in rebounding, passing, playmaking, making others better.

McHale has been called the best post player ever. And he's up there. He's also got that crazy FG% and he has more titles and appearances. But KG did more.

Pettit gets forgotten in these discussions.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Best Regular season PF of his era. I'll grant him that much. Playoffs, I'll take Barkley. Finals, I'll take Duncan.

[COLOR="White"]Pre-Season, I'll take Stromile Swift. Off-season, you take Pau Gasol. :troll:[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas
    Best Regular season PF of his era. I'll grant him that much. Playoffs, I'll take Barkley. Finals, I'll take Duncan.

[COLOR="White"]Pre-Season, I'll take Stromile Swift. Off-season, you take Pau Gasol. :troll:[/COLOR]

I have a hard time with him. I often rank Dirk #5 but I'm not sure. That may be because I've seen him so much and he was in an era with the true elite. While he was playing, Webber was genuinely a monster (and better than he was) and one of the best I've seen. But he lasted and only got better over the years, eventually winning that title.

Petit played 11 years, right? He was an all-star every year and, if I remember correctly, he was 1st Team All-NBA his first 10 years, and 2nd Team his last year. Two MVP's and a title. He's got huge numbers too.

He and Dirk would fight for #5, tho I might lean towards Pettit, this minute...but McHale would be at #7.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas

I don't know, I still might take Barkley in the regular season up until his body broke down on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Petit? OOOOH. I don't know about all that. You have Dirk #7, I'd assume? That's a bit low.

Dirk is a positionless guy to me based on his skillset. If I had to call him a PF, he'd be top 20 all-time and probably right behind KG (who is also relatively positionless in skillset, but his dominant traits resemble traditional bigs more than Dirk's).

I do believe this. Duncan should be ranked at PF tho. The problem is not that but that a lot of people argue that he isn't a natural C. I don't understand that. I hear talk of his ball-handling, how athletic and quick and agile he was. Robinson had more of all those physical qualities and could handle the ball just as well!

If anything, from watching the Twin Tower Spurs (given I didn't get to see more than a handful of games of them a year outside of the playoffs, since I'm from the NYC area and online streams weren't big yet) Duncan was more of a traditional center (yes he could hit the bank shot, but he was a back-to-the-basket guy largely from my recollection...the Admiral faced up a lot).

Garnett is way ahead of McHale.

Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    KG over Barkley, McHale and Malone?

Funny....
    I have KG right after the West/Robertson/Moses/LeBron/Dr. J tier on my GOAT list. His impact on defense/rebounding was nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    Pettit gets forgotten in these discussions.
    The standard era-based factors that dominate this site aside, it's really hard pegging guys from the 50s especially to one of PG, SG, SF, PF, C. Though there's always been some fudging of positions, Pettit actually made an All-NBA team at center (I believe it was during the championship season). From what I've read while dumping box scores/articles, there were three variants on positional designations back then:

1. (prevalent) g/g/c/f/f
    2. (relatively common from the NBL through the mid-60s) lg/rg/c/lf/rf (left and right guards/forwards)
    3. (rare) offensive guard, defensive guard, offensive forward, defensive forward, center

so as I've said, it's more of an art than a science IMO. If I had to say so though, from the books/articles/tape/stats I've taken in, Pettit would likely be considered a PF in today's game (based on skillset/playstyle).