Default Serious: What adjustments were made in the latter part of the finals

I've just rewatched the second halves of the first 4 games and the last 3 games of the 2016 finals, over the past 2 days.
    And I'm not exactly sure what precise adjustment (s) changed the series.

I'm not interested in the tired narrative that simpleton media members give e.g. "the Cavs just wanted it more, Skip. I felt that the Cavs over the last 3 games just showed the hunger skip. Them are bad boys who can pull up from 30".

I'm more curious about the tactical side of the game and I can't seem to pinpoint one specific change. The Cavs played better and their top players (LeBron especially) were more aggressive as their backs were to the wall and they had nothing to lose after going down 3-1.

From the other side of coin, I don't understand why Curry and Thompson struggled as much as they did. The only thing that stuck out was that the Cavs seemed to hedge on screens and seemed to stick to Curry on jumpshots. It was almost handchecking-like as their perimeter defenders were hip to hip on the Warriors shooters on curls.

What do you think the main tactical adjustments were in the series?

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Default Re: Serious: What adjustments were made in the latter part of the finals

Cavs were intentionally doing pick and rolls w/ whoever Curry was guarding and going at him. This ended with Curry working hard on the defensive side, and getting in foul trouble. Also, LeBron and Kyrie really came alive and both took more shots. LeBron's jumper came alive. Also, Cavs were playing more like the Thunder where they were switching basically everything. I think they did this in games 1 and 2 as well, but that kind of defense can get exhausting for the offense over a 7 game span.

Default Re: Serious: What adjustments were made in the latter part of the finals

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    Cavs were intentionally doing pick and rolls w/ whoever Curry was guarding and going at him. This ended with Curry working hard on the defensive side, and getting in foul trouble. Also, LeBron and Kyrie really came alive and both took more shots. LeBron's jumper came alive. Also, Cavs were playing more like the Thunder where they were switching basically everything. I think they did this in games 1 and 2 as well, but that kind of defense can get exhausting for the offense over a 7 game span.
    I noticed them running pnr on Curry in games 6 and 7 especially and you're right, it did get a curry in foul trouble. Even on Kyrie's huge 3 in game 7, they seemed to intentionally target acurry on the defensive end.

They were running Lebron at the 4 with the 2nd unit, scratched the Frye idea and instead put Jefferson at the 3

90% of 4q they used that ^^^ lineup, but swaped Love out, moved lbj to the 4 and RJ to the 3

Kyrie, JR, Shump, RJ, Bron sometimes

Dellevadova was getting roasted, never used him after gm 4, used Mo and Shump

I have to rewatch it to remember again

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy
    They were running Lebron at the 4 with the 2nd unit, scratched the Frye idea and instead put Jefferson at the 3

90% of 4q they used that ^^^ lineup, but swaped Love out, moved lbj to the 4 and RJ to the 3

Dellevadova was getting roasted, never used him after gm 4, used Mo and shump
    Nice breakdown!

their game plan on Curry took its toll on the little boy.

i was right all along. i posted it before. the way to stop Curry was to target him on the defensive end and make him work. run hard screens against him and keep on bumping him.

maybe by game 1 and game 2, it won't be felt. but in a game 7 series, it will take its toll.

and i was right.

Mugshot from SlyCooper Nilocon165's Avatar

Lebron adjusted to god mode

Curry adjusted to choking bitch mode

I don't think we really got to go any deeper than that