Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: Shaun Livingston is gonna get paid...

Can the heat get him?

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Hes the best player in the league on offense when Ray Allen is guarding him.

But then again, that is 95% of the league in that case.

Arent you supposed to be a heat fan? You owe last seasons title to Ray Allens clutch 3. I wouldnt count him out of doing something similar this year either with Mr LeDisappearing act on your squad..

I don't mean to be a naysayer or a hater, because I'm a huge fan of Shaun (and have been since he entered the league), but the major difference between his stats this season and season's past is simply playing time.

He's a low turnover, 12, 5 and 5 guy in 36 minutes and has been his whole career. He either a) couldn't get on the floor or b) didn't get the opportunity from his team in years gone by, hence his low minutes and poor numbers. What the Nets have given him is an opportunity - I'm not sure he's really improved all that much.

Fact is, not too many teams are going to pay good money for a guy who's not an elite* defender and can't shoot 3's. He's like Tony Allen only without the lockdown defense or George Hill if George Hill's range was 13 feet.

He also has way too many games where he plays 22 minutes and has 2 points and 3 boards. He balances them out with "big" nights of 20 and 8 but he's hit and miss. Some games he looks like a spectator - chills in the corner with no one guarding him, being ignored by the other 9 players.

He's a backup PG or a spot starter, IMHO. 13-25 minutes a night. Mistake free basketball. Occasional big game. To be honest, I'm not sure the Nets are much better off with Shaun than they would have been if they'd just kept CJ Watson, who's making $2 mil with Indiana as a backup this year.

* Shaun's good but he's not All-NBA level

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    You have been saying that since the first game of the season and Shaun has I think missed only one game so far. Why are you wishing him bad fortunes?
    I'm not wishing him bad fortune, i'm just stating the truth. I don't need to be right but look at his history, this is a guy who always was hurt prior to the injury (ankle, knee, etc.) and then had a catastrophic injury. Saying that I think he'll never get hurt again isn't be wishing him well, it's me being delusional. If I'm wrong and he's never hurt again, great. But as a GM i'm not taking that bet for too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    Arent you supposed to be a heat fan? You owe last seasons title to Ray Allens clutch 3. I wouldnt count him out of doing something similar this year either with Mr LeDisappearing act on your squad..
    Very relevant to the claim "Ray Allen is a horrible defender" which PlowKing is correct about.

Krust Kingz

At his age and injury history I dont think too many teams see him as a starter. I do wish him the best though and hope he finally gets a multi-year deal finally. If only he had range.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I'm not wishing him bad fortune, i'm just stating the truth. I don't need to be right but look at his history, this is a guy who always was hurt prior to the injury (ankle, knee, etc.) and then had a catastrophic injury. Saying that I think he'll never get hurt again isn't be wishing him well, it's me being delusional. If I'm wrong and he's never hurt again, great. But as a GM i'm not taking that bet for too much money.
    I agree, kind of like how saying Amare will get hurt is also just stating the truth.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Next to Joe, Shaun has been our most consistent player. He's our best driver to the hope, best wing defender, and he's been better at initiating the offense than Deron has all season.

Since becoming a permanent starter, Shaun has blossomed and is very much a reason for our recent success. I hope he stays a Net, but he's worked hard and earned his payday. I hope to see him succeed.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 32MJ32
    I don't mean to be a naysayer or a hater, because I'm a huge fan of Shaun (and have been since he entered the league), but the major difference between his stats this season and season's past is simply playing time.

He's a low turnover, 12, 5 and 5 guy in 36 minutes and has been his whole career. He either a) couldn't get on the floor or b) didn't get the opportunity from his team in years gone by, hence his low minutes and poor numbers. What the Nets have given him is an opportunity - I'm not sure he's really improved all that much.

Fact is, not too many teams are going to pay good money for a guy who's not an elite* defender and can't shoot 3's. He's like Tony Allen only without the lockdown defense or George Hill if George Hill's range was 13 feet.

He also has way too many games where he plays 22 minutes and has 2 points and 3 boards. He balances them out with "big" nights of 20 and 8 but he's hit and miss. Some games he looks like a spectator - chills in the corner with no one guarding him, being ignored by the other 9 players.

He's a backup PG or a spot starter, IMHO. 13-25 minutes a night. Mistake free basketball. Occasional big game. To be honest, I'm not sure the Nets are much better off with Shaun than they would have been if they'd just kept CJ Watson, who's making $2 mil with Indiana as a backup this year.

* Shaun's good but he's not All-NBA level
    Maybe if Tony Allen and George Hill were a long 6'7 instead of 6'3, and had elite passing playmaking skills and an effective post/midrange game. Thats a terrible comparison

Local High School Star

Also Livingston works well the Nets small ball line up with Pierce at the 4 because he can shot the 3 to compensate for Livingston inability there.
    Livingston can get his shot off very easily over smaller defenders because he's always one of the taller guards at there at all time, and knows where to be on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by clipps
    Bobcats need to get him back.

fixed

a PG who can't shoot the 3 ball & has a PER of 14 with 54%TS

I think he gets 2-3 mil a year at best, teams that would throw multi-year deals with anything more than 3 mil a year would be stupid. He is not worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenbeat
    Blatche is probably gone (he'll opt out), but IIRC AK got a two year deal.
    Kirilenko was a one year deal as was Andray Blatche. Blatche took the minimum for the 2nd straight year similar to how JR did with the Knicks and hopes to get paid how jr did

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    Kirilenko was a one year deal as was Andray Blatche. Blatche took the minimum for the 2nd straight year similar to how JR did with the Knicks and hopes to get paid how jr did
    and quite possibly will go into full douchebag mode once he has a several year deal just like JR did. It's a dream of mine that Blatche gets a 4 year $32-$36 type deal with the Nets. It will be non stop entertainment, good and bad.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    and quite possibly will go into full douchebag mode once he has a several year deal just like JR did. It's a dream of mine that Blatche gets a 4 year $32-$36 type deal with the Nets. It will be non stop entertainment, good and bad.
    Blatche is not like JR though, and you and the rest of the global population is aware of that. Blatche has been an angel in the two years that he has been with us on a minimum contract. JR was still stupid while being on a minimum last season. That should tell you everything you need to know about him.
    I can't believe you think he will turn into JR 2.0 just because of a contract. He's shown no signs of the sort in the past two years but apparently it is a "dream" of yours. Why do you like dreaming about the demise of the Nets? I know we took over New York but don't hate us for it, hate Dolan.