Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: 1994 Bulls (w/ Jordan) vs. 1994 Rockets

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    The Rockets won easily against Portland who 2 years earlier took their finals vs the Bulls to game 6.
    You're kidding yourself because you know damn well the teams don't match up well at all. Portland in 1994 was an entirely different team - Drexler, Porter, and Kersey had fallen off big time by then due to injuries.

Local High School Star

I'm not sure who wins. It is a pretty even match up and the Rockets clearly deserve more credit than they usually get.

The Bulls' players, staff and coaches have noted that the Rockets gave them a lot of trouble in the early 90s. I'm not the one who uses regular season records as evidence but to put it out there, Houston was 5-1 vs Chicago from 1991-93 and some of those games had hype too. For instance, when Houston went to the Chicago stadium with a 11 game W streak while Chicago had a really long undefeated streak at home.

But anyway regular season records aren't indicative of much and this year's Heat vs Bulls series is just one of the many examples.

But it goes beyond that. The Rockets had a lot of versatility with Hakeem and versatility at the center position bothered Chicago. The Spurs were also 5-1 vs Chicago during the first three peat but I won't claim that the Spurs stand a chance because they didn't have a leader or a dominant offensive player (Robinson's face up game was easy to shut down).

We have evidence straight from Jordan's mouth.
    On the Rockets vs. Bulls debate

I finally got a chance to talk to Michael Jordan years [later] over at Barkley's house and he thought that the best matchup they would have had during that era was against us because of the way Max used to play him and how our big guys used to dominate their inside.
    ^This is Rudy T talking.

I want to see how we stand. I haven't played against that team in a couple of years," said Michael Jordan, who was trying to hit a curve ball the last time the Bulls played the Rockets.

"The last couple of times, when I was playing against them . . . they were one of the teams we faced in our three championship years that we really feared. They have so much versatility to the game with (Hakeem) Olajuwon. If we had met them in the playoffs, they would have been a tough challenge. Now I'm looking forward to seeing how well we stack up to a champion."
    Pay attention to the bold.

Now that the NBA Finals have turned into a near-rout, the inevitable question is whether any team in the NBA could have been tougher on the Chicago Bulls than Phoenix.

Assistant coach John Bach didn't hesitate when asked the question.

"Oh, we've had our troubles with teams," Bach said. "Look at Houston. They've created a lot of problems for us.

"It's not that we don't have problems. We're mortal."

The Rockets won both meetings with the Bulls this season, by 14 points in Chicago and 11 at The Summit. The Rockets have won five of the six meetings in the last three seasons.

It is interesting to note that the team the Bulls have had the most trouble with in the playoffs, New York, is the team with the best center among opponents Chicago has had to face.

In winning two consecutive championships, the Bulls have faced Kevin Duckworth of Portland and Vlade Divac of the Los Angeles Lakers in the Finals.

Hakeem Olajuwon averaged 23 points and 15 rebounds in the two regular-season meetings against the Bulls this season.
    "It was simply the fact they have always been a great team against us, and Hakeem Olajuwon has always played well against us,'' Jackson said.
    ^From the 1996 match up at Chicago.

After all, the Bulls have lost six out of their last eight games against Houston and the last five at the Summit. And just in case anyone needs reminding, those losses were with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

So what would cause the Bulls' coach to be optimistic in light of not only those numbers, but also the fact that the 9-0 Rockets are the NBA's hottest team and the Bulls are struggling?

The "one-upmanship" said Jackson, hurt the Bulls. "Michael (Jordan) usually got into it," he said, "and it was usually a Michael-(Hakeem) Olajuwon thing. (They came out in) the same draft year, both of them were MVP players and it basically got to a point where it was not the most successful place for him because Vernon Maxwell is a thorn in our side and it got to be one of those kind of games."
    ^From the first few games of the 1994 season when the Rockets had that 15-0 streak.

The Rockets themselves would have loved to have proven everybody wrong.

"There should be no doubt or label of fluke on our championships," said Hakeem Olajuwon. "As for Michael Jordan, a lot of people don't know and never looked up our matchups with Chicago during that time. If you check the records, you'll see that we beat them on a consistent basis when Michael was playing and winning his first three championships.

"(Vernon) Maxwell guarded Michael and gave him problems. In '95, we would have had Mario Elie on him. They didn't have anyone who could contain me. Chicago was never a problem for us. We always looked forward to playing them. A lot of people don't realize that."

The Rockets, in fact, had a 5-1 record vs. Jordan and the Bulls from 1991 through 1993, the span of Chicago's first "three-peat."

After a loss on his home floor at Chicago Stadium in 1993, Jordan said, "We have no answer for the big guy. It's a good thing they won't ever make it to the (NBA) Finals, because I don't think we could beat them."
    ^Straight from Jordan's mouth. Whether he was being facetious with the comment, we won't know but we know the Bulls can't handle the Dream.

Personally, I think it could go either way. One of my biggest regrets is not getting to see the Bulls vs Rockets match up in 1993. The Rockets were robbed that year. That would have been a nice match up.

Contrary to the 1997 match up which I feel the Bulls would have won without much trouble because the Rockets were way too slow and methodical of a team. Their lack of athleticism and PG would also get exposed by the Bulls pressure defense. I used to think the 1997 Rockets along with the 1998 Lakers could have beat the Bulls but I don't find that to be the case now.

The 1993 Rockets had athleticism and could very well play a running game; young Horry, Thorpe, Maxwell were all underrated athletes who had game. The Dream was on a mission that year. I've downloaded a few games with their Seattle series that year; he was having an insane amount of impact.

The Bulls were great at adjusting to teams though. That

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
    I'm not sure who wins. It is a pretty even match up and the Rockets clearly deserve more credit than they usually get.
    How is it an even matchup:

Jordan >= Hakeem
    Grant ~= Thorpe
    Bulls role players >= Houston role players
    Pippen >>> ???

Plus Chicago had championship experience, better coaching, a better system, and the GOAT in his prime. Certainly not an "even match up" by any means. They were more talented overall, had coaching and experience working in their favor, and had the best player on the floor.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall

Jordan >= Hakeem
    Grant ~= Thorpe
    Pippen >>> ???

Plus Chicago had championship experience, better coaching, a better system, and the GOAT in his prime. Certainly not an "even match up" by any means. They were more talented overall, had coaching and experience working in their favor, and had the best player on the floor.

Did you even read the guy's post?
    If it would be such a horrible match-up and if the Bulls would have been so much better than the Rockets they wouldn't have had a loosing record vs the Rockets during their first 3-peat..

And since when do you match up a center vs a guard? Basketball is all about match-ups and Rockets was a difficult match-up for the Bulls. If MJ will tell you that, then I take his word over some random poster on ISH..

NBA rookie of the year

I love how Rockets homers cling to a couple of meaningless regular season games spread over 2-3 seasons and overlook the vast difference in talent, coaching, execution, and championship experience, all of which are FAR more relevant when discussing who would win a hypothetical playoff matchup.

Houston has virtually no chance of winning that series. Probabilities below:

Bulls in 4 games: 5-10% chance
    Bulls in 5 games: 15-20% chance
    Bulls in 6 games: 40-50% chance
    Bulls in 7 games: 15-20% chance

Houston in any number of games: < 10% chance

Local High School Star

Jordan >= Hakeem
    Grant ~= Thorpe
    Pippen >>> ???

Lets see.

1994 Suns vs Rockets

KJ > Smith
    Majerle > Maxwell
    Ceballos > Horry
    Barkley > Thorpe
    Hakeem > Oliver Miller

AC Greeen and Danny Ainge also give the edge to the Suns bench.

Suns have the edge in experience which was evident when the Rockets blew the first two games at home with double digit leads in each game and were called choke city by their own paper.

The fact is the game goes beyond match ups and who had the more experience. Seems like you have trouble grasping that.

And keep ignoring what the Bulls noted about the Rockets. Next time I discuss the Rockets vs Bulls, I'll be sure to mention you and your compelling argument as to why the Bulls would "easily" come out on top.

Local High School Star

I love how Rockets homers cling to a couple of meaningless regular season games spread over 2-3 seasons and overlook the vast difference in talent, coaching, execution, and championship experience, all of which are FAR more relevant when discussing who would win a hypothetical playoff matchup.

I don't remember the Bulls ever noting the Spurs as a tough match up despite the Spurs going 5-1 against them during the first three peat as well.

Wonder why.

None of the factors you listed are as important as what the Bulls players and coaches said about the match up. You don't think they're considering what you're telling us?

NBA rookie of the year

2-3 seasons? Hakeem had a winning record vs MJ over their whole careers and even though it's only a one win difference it still is some proof that the Rockets was a difficult matchup for MJ and the Bulls. And yes, no one should stare blind on same regular season wins but it's still a fact that the Rockets was a difficult matchup. And it's pretty funny that you think the difference is so huge when the Rockets beat alot of the teams and players Jordan faced during his championshipruns..

During their back-to-back the Rockets faced the Jazz twice and won, they faced the Suns twice and won, they faced the Knicks and won, they faced Orlando and won (they won vs back from retirement Jordan and the Bulls, minus a decent PF). All of those teams were teams who caused problems for the Bulls.

Local High School Star

2-3 seasons? Hakeem had a winning record vs MJ over their whole careers. And it's pretty fun that you think the difference is so huge when the Rockets beat alot of the teams and players Jordan faced during his championshipruns..

During their back-to-back the Rockets faced the Jazz twice and won, they faced the Suns twice and won, they faced the Knicks and won, they faced Orlando and won (they won vs back from retirement Jordan and the Bulls, minus a decent PF). All of those teams were teams who caused problems for the Bulls.
    Apparently his own opinion is worth a lot more than everybody elses.

The funny thing is I'd bet there was something that caused the Bulls to consider them a tough match up and it all came from those "meaningless" regular season games.

If I'd look hard enough, I could find teams that they struggled against in the season but still didn't acknowledge as tough of a team as Houston.

Off the top of my head, they went 0-2 vs Utah in 1998 and the 1-5 record against San Antonio is also a clear example.

3-time NBA All-Star

Not sure why this matters since the Bulls beat those teams. At best they would've been there toughest matchup. It doesn't mean they would've beaten them.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Not sure why this matters since the Bulls beat those teams. At best they would've been there toughest matchup.
    It matters because the Rockets beat those teams and players as well and it wasn't like the Bulls abused those teams, they had tough series against those teams.

3-time NBA All-Star

The only discussion should really be only between 94 and 95. The Rockets in the Bulls championship years never really came close to even making the Finals except in 1997, and that team was way too old, past their prime, and injury prone to have a great chance against the Bulls.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    The only discussion should really be only between 94 and 95. The Rockets in the Bulls championship years never really came close to even making the Finals except in 1997, and that team was way too old, past their prime, and injury prone to have a great chance against the Bulls.

I agree in general though. I've seen a few games of that 1997 Rockets team and I find them to be overrated. They were too reliant on feeding the post and then waiting for the double team so there would be a lot of standing around which would stagnate the offense. No athleticism whatsoever.

A guy like Matt Maloney would flat-out get harassed by someone like Pippen and that would be fastbreak galore for the Bulls team. Mario Elie was kind of a weak ball handler as well so the Bulls press would have their way. Their defense was quite poor as well.

In 1996 and 1998, they were too injured and would get mopped off the floor in a hypothetical match up.

In 1991 and 1992, they have the same advantage and match up problems but they'd lose because that team had no leader or identity. Hakeem was having problems with the management and they didn't quite have the offense with Hakeem as the focal point.

But everything came together for them in 1993 and they'd certainly cause the Bulls problems that year. I have no doubt that team gets to the finals if they weren't robbed against Seattle.

It matters because the Rockets beat those teams and players as well and it wasn't like the Bulls abused those teams, they had tough series against those teams.
    MJ wasn't doing as much for his teams like Hakeem was, imo. He wasn't the Bulls' best passer or rebounder for the bulk of his career...and.. in his prime had to anchor a defense, pull down double-digit rebounds a night, grab a couple stls a game, block 3+ shots and lead his team in scoring year in and out; I'd of like to see MJ keep up these scoring (team) titles...

But of course.. fulfilling ALL those functions year in and out would be DETRIMENTAL to his scoring title success and possibly Chicago's chances of winning titles because he was INCAPABLE of doing so...whereas, Olajuwon was FORCED to do inorder for his team(s) to be successful.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    MJ wasn't doing as much for his teams like Hakeem was, imo. He wasn't the Bulls' best passer or rebounder for the bulk of his career...and.. in his prime had to anchor a defense, pull down double-digit rebounds a night, grab a couple stls a game, block 3+ shots and lead his team in scoring year in and out; I'd of like to see MJ keep up these scoring (team) titles...

But of course.. fulfilling ALL those functions year in and out would be DETRIMENTAL to his scoring title success and possibly Chicago's chances of winning titles because he was INCAPABLE of doing so...whereas, Olajuwon was FORCED to do inorder for his team(s) to be successful.
    Yes, Olajuwon was just THAT amazing! GOAT!