Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Rate Steve Kerr and Tyronn Lue's coaching in the Finals

Sorry if there's already an identical thread... Interested in thoughtful discussion.

Default Re: Rate Steve Kerr and Tyronn Lue's coaching in the Finals

I don't know how much Lue actually coached... but Kerr was beyond horrible.

It's a tough debate because a lot of it is based in conjecture but I think Lue did a much better job of course with his mid-series adjustments and Kerr fell flat in that area, much to my surprise. It took him a long time seemingly to figure out what was and wasn't working.

I wonder, is that the least combined head coaching experience in a Finals matchup ever? 2.5 combined seasons...

Local High School Star

Kerr seems to believe in "flow"; that is the team's on-court chemistry and creativity is sufficient. Which he seems to think means he doesn't have to do anything. Coaching 101 is X's and O's - running plays and making adjustments. In the face of physical chippy defense, esp on Curry, Kerr didn't seem to call one play that would call for screens to free him up. I found that difficult to believe. A few plays for Thompson and Curry as good as they are could have meant the difference of 5-10 points. Though both players are excellent; the increased physicality of the playoffs makes the screens matter. (a strong screen also takes the wind out of the defender and makes him more cautious, a step slower on future posessions)

The Warriors "flow" (which seems to be player initiated) meant half-hearted lazy screens - which the Cavs saw coming and simply switched effortlessly (Cavs big man guarded Curry); Tristan Thompson was fast enough to prevent that being an easy bucket for Curry. A proper play with a less-expected screen could have freed him up. That Kerr didn't do something basic like that was remarkable; but his team won 73 games without him actively managing the team, so perhaps he thought it wasn't needed.

The second component is adjustment. No adjustment to Cavs pick and roll. No adjustment when getting outrebounded. I wish I wrote this closer to the finals because more examples were fresh in my mind.

He would leave a team on the floor where Thompson and James were dominating the boards; and have someone like Varajeo or Speights in there- neither of whom could grab the ball. He played Iguodala, think it was Game 6, where Iguodala couldn't even jump. It was simply frustrating as an NBA fan who want to see both teams play their best be coached like that. I'd give Kerr a 1 out of 10.
    Last edited by bdonovan; 07-17-2016 at 12:29 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

i like Lue because he never wavered. Even when they were getting their asses kicked he didnt look scared. Had them play physical at home in game 3 to set a new tone, lost narrowly in game 4, recieved a lot of luck going forward from there, but he never show any ch[COLOR="Black"]i[/COLOR]nk in his armor, poker face throughout. Not even over celebratory in winning either.. just an assasin both ways.

Steve kerr seems like a cocky douche to me in interviews.. sarcastic, and just kinda annoying. he's overrated.

Best Coaches in history:

1. Red Auerbach

2a. Greg Popovich

2b. Tyronn Lue

541 . Steve Kerr

Both were terrible.

Kerr should've taken Curry out and left Barbosa in there more. He's a little too reliant on his system and doesn't know what to do when it fails.

Lue just didn't do anything.

The only difference is Lue had Lebron/Kyrie, and Kerr had a choking Curry/Klay.

NBA rookie of the year

Steve Kerr's coaching was so bad that I wish he would've died from his health complications.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by bdonovan
    Kerr seems to believe in "flow"; that is the team's on-court chemistry and creativity is sufficient. Which he seems to think means he doesn't have to do anything. Coaching 101 is X's and O's - running plays and making adjustments. In the face of physical chippy defense, esp on Curry, Kerr didn't seem to call one play that would call for screens to free him up. I found that difficult to believe. A few plays for Thompson and Curry as good as they are could have meant the difference of 5-10 points. Though both players are excellent; the increased physicality of the playoffs makes the screens matter. (a strong screen also takes the wind out of the defender and makes him more cautious, a step slower on future posessions)

The Warriors "flow" (which seems to be player initiated) meant half-hearted lazy screens - which the Cavs saw coming and simply switched effortlessly (Cavs big man guarded Curry); Tristan Thompson was fast enough to prevent that being an easy bucket for Curry. A proper play with a less-expected screen could have freed him up. That Kerr didn't do something basic like that was remarkable; but his team won 73 games without him actively managing the team, so perhaps he thought it wasn't needed.

The second component is adjustment. No adjustment to Cavs pick and roll. No adjustment when getting outrebounded. I wish I wrote this closer to the finals because more examples were fresh in my mind.

He would leave a team on the floor where Thompson and James were dominating the boards; and have someone like Varajeo or Speights in there- neither of whom could grab the ball. He played Iguodala, think it was Game 6, where Iguodala couldn't even jump. It was simply frustrating as an NBA fan who want to see both teams play their best be coached like that. I'd give Kerr a 1 out of 10.
    this. Kerr was awful. him playing Ezeli and Varajeo in the second half of game 7 was just painful.

Kerr is a glorified cheerleader. Lue is the real thing.

Did they anything

Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    It's a tough debate because a lot of it is based in conjecture but I think Lue did a much better job of course with his mid-series adjustments and Kerr fell flat in that area, much to my surprise. It took him a long time seemingly to figure out what was and wasn't working.

I wonder, is that the least combined head coaching experience in a Finals matchup ever? 2.5 combined seasons...
    2015 was 2 rookie coaches Kerr vs Blatt

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq
    2015 was 2 rookie coaches Kerr vs Blatt
    Jesus lol how did I forget that?

Yeah it really took me by surprise how behind the curve on correcting mistakes Kerr was, and figuring out ways to get the team out of offensive ruts. Rotations were obviously questionable as he went with the strength in numbers approach to a fault right up until the end of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    Jesus lol how did I forget that?

Yeah it really took me by surprise how behind the curve on correcting mistakes Kerr was, and figuring out ways to get the team out of offensive ruts. Rotations were obviously questionable as he went with the strength in numbers approach to a fault right up until the end of the series.
    Agreed, not sure if it was ignorance or arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Kerr is a glorified cheerleader. Lue is the real thing.
    i don't know if Lue is the real thing but kerr is very OVERRATED