Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Dante exum.. Where will he be drafted?

This kid is getting a lot of press in Australia due to his recent Adidas contract
    So I did some research

A lot of people are saying top 5 with a chance at top 3 or maybe even number 1
    I watched some video and he seems to have rare talent
    Very tall and still growing.. Great handles.. High bb iq, good athlete.. Hops.. Good passer.. Long...
    Anyone seen a lot of him?
    What do u think?

I rule the local playground

Default Re: Dante exum.. Where will he be drafted?

To the NBA.

If the lakers don't make it into the top 3 in the lotto he won't fall past them

The next Kokbe Bryant.

He will go 4th after Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins. Maybe 5th if some team really likes Randle.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Top 2

He's a top 5 pick for sure, but I can see him not panning out and sometime below getting a steal in Marcus Smart

Top 5.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    He will go 4th after Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins. Maybe 5th if some team really likes Randle.

Pretty much this unless something weird happens.

When the season started I really thought that spot was going to be a toss up between him, Smart, and the PG Harrison (Andrew I believe). But man did those other two play themselves out of the spot. I'm really torn on Smart. He'll either be really solid, or a total bust. It all depends how he can play without the ball, because I just don't see you building a title contender with him having the ball all the time, and we just haven't seen much of him not doing that, although there was a bit more this year.

None of them can shoot, and it feels like Exum's PG pedigree is held in higher regard, in large part it seems because it hasn't had the opportunity to be picked apart quite as much. But it also seems pretty clear that he's the best athlete of the bunch by a fair enough margin.

I am curious about Smart's athleticism. If he were a football player they'd say he plays faster and bigger than he measures. He seems to measure out far more average than I can believe just based on some of the bursts I've seen him show on the court.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Pretty much this unless something weird happens.

When the season started I really thought that spot was going to be a toss up between him, Smart, and the PG Harrison (Andrew I believe). But man did those other two play themselves out of the spot. I'm really torn on Smart. He'll either be really solid, or a total bust. It all depends how he can play without the ball, because I just don't see you building a title contender with him having the ball all the time, and we just haven't seen much of him not doing that, although there was a bit more this year.

None of them can shoot, and it feels like Exum's PG pedigree is held in higher regard, in large part it seems because it hasn't had the opportunity to be picked apart quite as much. But it also seems pretty clear that he's the best athlete of the bunch by a fair enough margin.

I am curious about Smart's athleticism. If he were a football player they'd say he plays faster and bigger than he measures. He seems to measure out far more average than I can believe just based on some of the bursts I've seen him show on the court.
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I think Smart was a really good college player but I just can't see how his game is gonna translate into the NBA. He's not tall, he can't shoot and he's not particularly fast. He's not even an exceptional passer. He is strong but everyone in the NBA is strong. He most certainly works hard and is a good defender. I hope I'm wrong but to me he's just a backup in the NBA.

As far as Exum is concerned, he's got a ton of hype because he's the player who everyone knows the least about so it's still easy to buy the hype. Remember before Wiggns had played a game and he was the next Lebron? Well after having seen him and Parker and everyone else for at least a season, people have cooled on everyone in this draft except Exum, whose stock has risen. I'm not saying he's gonna be good or bad, but he sure as he'll can't shoot and he's not even played against DI level competition so it makes it tough to gauge how good he is. I think Exum looks like he could be a nice player but he could also be a bust. Anyone who claims they know his game well can't possibly know it as well as any of the DI players who we got to see play against other DI players for at least a season. I'm interested to see how he does in workouts if he even works out for anyone.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I think Smart was a really good college player but I just can't see how his game is gonna translate into the NBA. He's not tall, he can't shoot and he's not particularly fast. He's not even an exceptional passer. He is strong but everyone in the NBA is strong. He most certainly works hard and is a good defender. I hope I'm wrong but to me he's just a backup in the NBA.

As far as Exum is concerned, he's got a ton of hype because he's the player who everyone knows the least about so it's still easy to buy the hype. Remember before Wiggns had played a game and he was the next Lebron? Well after having seen him and Parker and everyone else for at least a season, people have cooled on everyone in this draft except Exum, whose stock has risen. I'm not saying he's gonna be good or bad, but he sure as he'll can't shoot and he's not even played against DI level competition so it makes it tough to gauge how good he is. I think Exum looks like he could be a nice player but he could also be a bust. Anyone who claims they know his game well can't possibly know it as well as any of the DI players who we got to see play against other DI players for at least a season. I'm interested to see how he does in workouts if he even works out for anyone.

He is pretty much an unknown
    But from what has been seen his does has a very large skillset

He is dam quick... Has a crazy first step that no one seems to be able to stay in front.. Has massive strides... Is very tall and long for a guard.. High iq.. Athletic.. Great passer.. Good handles...
    He has a lot to work with...
    He does need work on his shot and his finishing around the rim but so do most players going into the nba.. If he can improve on that.. As most players do.. He will be dam good
    Word is Boston is considering him seriously and might give them what they need to make a move and move rondo...
    I'm just happy to see another Aussie about to break in... With a lot of talent

Quote Originally Posted by toxicxr6

He is dam quick... Has a crazy first step that no one seems to be able to stay in front.. Has massive strides... Is very tall and long for a guard.. High iq.. Athletic.. Great passer.. Good handles...
    He does need work on his shot and his finishing around the rim but so do most players going into the nba.. If he can improve on that.. As most players do.. He will be dam good
    Word is Boston is considering him seriously and might give them what they need to make a move and move rondo...

Yeah, he has all that stuff... playing against Australian competition and one single exhibition game against the names mentioned in this topic

Not buying any of the hype until he plays against DI competition or DI-equivalent competition. He's just a guy with a lot of physical tools at this point.

He could very well end up being the best player of this draft.

The kid's got some incredible physical tools. 6'6" combo with good vision, lightning quick first step, athleticism, work ethic, competitive drive, high IQ, good instincts, primitive but working post game...his biggest weaknesses are the things that are the easiest to improve - his jumper and his finishing ability inside.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toxicxr6

I think it would be great for another Aussie to play in the league but saying all these great things about his skill set when it's being displayed against seriously inferior competition isn't saying much. Every year there are plenty of DI guys who look great against DI guys and then get to the league and shit the bed. I mean look at Beasley and Derrick Williams and lots of guys. Exum hasn't played against talent like that so sure he looks quick in front of garbage but lots of kids do. I've seen all his highlights and I wouldn't call him a great passer. He's a tall kid who dribbles pretty well and can pass some but that doesn't make him a PG. He's thin and could get pushed around easliy and without a jumpshot that will make it very difficult for him to score. Again, he could be totally awesome or he could be a bum there's just not enough info out there to form a solid opinion. One things for sure, he'll be drafted very early because he's the most hyped guy now. He's the only guy who's stock keeps on rising and it's because he's the only guy who's game hasn't been exposed yet because no one got to see him play for a full season against the best talent his age. I hope he's good, but I can't really tell if he will be.

He's basically High School Kobe, but in Australia. Ceiling is pretty damn high for him because of his physical tools and other skills that have already been mentioned. A consistent jump shot and better passing will make him a star in a few years. If he ever becomes an elite defender to go along with that, he's gonna be a franchise centerpiece. I wouldn't be surprised if teams passed on him though, not much footage or evidence compared to Wiggins, Parker, and the like. His value will show if he decides to workout at the combine with all the other prospects.