Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HeartHustleHope

Default When was the last time 10 white guys were all on court together?

I've just been watching some old Larry Bird tapes again (man he was sick) and it's got me thinking about white NBA players and the whole idea that basketball is a 'black mans game'.

Anyway, when was the last time there were 10 white players on court in an NBA game?

I know that back in the 80's the Celtics often had 5 white players on the floor. Why doesn't it happen nowadays? Will it happen again?

What do you guys think?

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Default Re: When was the last time 10 white guys were all on court together?

Most White guys play a "Fundamentally Sound" game, which is a nice way of saying "boring as hell". Sure, you have your occasional anamolies like J-will, but of course the league reigned him in from that And-1 style, for whatever reason.

It's like the league doesn't want white guys with too much flavor for whatever reason. Probably because the black fans would accuse them of "acting black", so they play it safe with the usual stereotypes of "the black man dunks, the white man shoots" to keep everybody happy.

If we do see 10 white guys on the court together, thet BETTER be playing like Chevy Chase in that Fletch movie to hold anyone's interest.

Last year when Utah and the Lakers bench were playing.

The Holy Trinity

Olympic volleyball.

I actually thought about race when watching the Kings, as they were one of the few modern elite teams with a lot of non-black players.

Bibby, Christie, Peja, and Vlade

The Mavs with Dirk, Nash, KVH, Raef, and Bradley.

I think that was the last time you could see a mostly white competition was when they played each other.

Slightly unrelated - when that Chinese league team played an exhibition game against the Magic in preseason last year, for one stretch they had more black players on the court than Orlando.

   

interesting topic. repped.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    Most White guys play a "Fundamentally Sound" game, which is a nice way of saying "boring as hell". Sure, you have your occasional anamolies like J-will, but of course the league reigned him in from that And-1 style, for whatever reason.

It's like the league doesn't want white guys with too much flavor for whatever reason. Probably because the black fans would accuse them of "acting black", so they play it safe with the usual stereotypes of "the black man dunks, the white man shoots" to keep everybody happy.

If we do see 10 white guys on the court together, thet BETTER be playing like Chevy Chase in that Fletch movie to hold anyone's interest.
    to correct the number of misconceptions and faulty assumptions in this post i would have to write a thesis- no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 32stat
    Slightly unrelated - when that Chinese league team played an exhibition game against the Magic in preseason last year, for one stretch they had more black players on the court than Orlando.
    wow, for some reason i didn't realise that the chinese paid so many foreigners to play. surprises me, since chinese is not an easy language to learn.

The Mavs with Dirk, Nash, KVH, Raef, and Bradley.
    of course they would never have been on the floor at the same time. four out of those five had overlap at the big man positions.

i'm guessing you'd have to go back to the 60's to find 10 white players on the floor at the same time.

A couple years ago when the Jazz had their scrimmage.

I'm guessing during the last Jazz/Pacers game.

Banned

Last years Lakers Jazz comes to mind

One stretch Jazz had out AK47, Okur, Korver, Harpring all at the same time. Lakers had out Walton, Vujacic, Farmar (Half black/half Jewish), Radmonovic, Gasol (5 WHITIES AT ONCE) against that lineup. Battle of the whities.
    Last edited by lilmarcgasol; 11-30-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    I actually thought about race when watching the Kings, as they were one of the few modern elite teams with a lot of non-black players.

Bibby, Christie
    Actually I believe both Bibby and Doug are half black.

Obama would like to see all guys on court are black.

   

Quote Originally Posted by shawbryant
    Obama would like to see all guys on court are black.
    no, half-white, half-black... just like he is.

The 1955 Finals, Paul Arizin and his Philadelphia Warriors -vs- Dolph Schayes and the Rochester Royals.

Decent college freshman

I'm sure after Boston won the title, and everyone crowded onto the court, you could at least find ten white guys.