Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    I rule the local playground keepinitreal's Avatar

Default Michael Jordan 86-90 vs 95-98?

Do you guys think Michael Jordan was better between 1986-1990 or 1995-1998?

I didn't get to see much of MJ back in the 1980s (too young), but I would guess (just from a couple of games, stats, and highlights) that he was better at that point in time.

What's interesting to me is that people will mostly just use his championships from 1996-1998 (and 1991-1993) as "evidence" to show how great he is, and not even mention his greatness from the 80s... while I'm the kind of person who would rather point to the late 80s than late 90s if I was going to talk about how great he was of a player

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Michael Jordan 86-90 vs 95-98?

86-90 and its not even close

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

I would still take 2nd 3peat MJ, despite the gap in numbers. More skilled, more ability to take over on command, more equipped at getting his numbers without alienating teammates, better game manager(knowing when to attack and when to facilitate) and the intangibles one gains through years of experience. If you give 86-90 and 95-98 similar casts, I'd say 95-98 MJ would have a better win %.

95-98 MJ was ridiculously good. He was more skilled than ever while still retaining 85% of his game-athleticism. He'd easily be the best player in the league today.
    Last edited by Indian guy; 02-29-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Great college starter

88-93 = absolute Michael Jordan peak.

I rule the local playground

baby jordan was an athletic freak!

he was certainly better at entertaining and putting on a show, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    I would still take 2nd 3peat MJ, despite the gap in numbers. More skilled, more ability to take over on command, more equipped at getting his numbers without alienating teammates, better game manager(knowing when to attack and when to facilitate) and the intangibles one gains through years of experience. If you give 86-90 and 95-98 similar casts, I'd say 95-98 MJ would have a better win %.

95-98 MJ was still ridiculously good. He'd easily be the best player in the league today.
    This ...

Even though I take '90, '91, '92, '93 Jordan over '95, '96, '97, '98 Jordan due to aggressiveness, peak physicality combined with pretty much the same skill set. Plus he was a champion while still being MEAN. '95 - '98 MJ had will power, but was a lot more mellow.

But '95 - '98 is definitely better than '86 - '90, IMO.

For the reasons you stated precisely. And as you said '95 - '98 MJ would still be best in the league.

Skilled, mental tenacity, gets his w/o alienating teammates, but physically could still do anything athletically he wanted even though he was between 75% to 80% the athlete he was at his PEAK physically.

Meaning he could still get to the basket at will ...

Great college starter

When trying to split up Michael Jordan's....their are advantages and disadvantages on both sides. Comparing one or the other is like splitting hairs overall.

edit
    Last edited by SwooshReturns; 02-28-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    When trying to split up Michael Jordan's....their are advantages and disadvantages on both sides. Comparing one or the other is like splitting hairs overall.
    Nah ... '90 - '93 MJ is clearly PEAK and ultimately best version of MJ.

He combines all the best elements of '85 - '89 Jordan, with all the best elements of '95 - '98 Jordan ... while having NONE of the weaknesses both share.

'90 - '93 Jordan is the best player of all-time.

I've seen players as good or better than Jordan of '85 - '89, and I've seen as good or better players than Jordan of '95 - '98 (albeit not many)

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by SwooshReturns
    Nah ... '90 - '93 MJ is clearly PEAK and ultimately best version of MJ.

He combines all the best elements of '85 - '89 Jordan, with all the best elements of '95 - '98 Jordan ... while having NONE of the weaknesses both share.

'90 - '93 Jordan is the best player of all-time.

I've seen players as good or better than Jordan of '85 - '89, and I've seen as good or better players than Jordan of '95 - '98 (albeit not many)

Remember i'm that guy who posted 88-93 = absolute peak michael jordan earlier

Remember i'm that guy who posted 88-93 = absolute peak michael jordan earlier
    I'm just saying it's not even CLOSE to splitting hairs. It's just a testement to how great MJ is when three different versions of himself could all be considered the greatest player of all-time ... but one of them is heads and shoulders above ALL.

Kobe (2006 - 2010)
    LeBron James (2009 - Now)
    Shaq (2000 - 2002)

Are players I argue are as good or clearly better than '95 - '98 MJ.

There are quite a few players I'd rank up there w/ MJ of '85 - '89.

D. Wade (2006 - Now) is better than that version for example.

But MJ from '90 - '93 can't EVEN be touched.

Amazing considering he left at his peak for two seasons. We could've added two more years to that stretch.

After the '95 playoffs, his hops, athleticism, insane speed and quickness was all but gone (yet still was better than damn near EVERYONE else) ...

Seriously, watch MJ attack the basket in the '95 series v.s. Orlando. Getting by Penny and Nick Anderson off the dribble at will, dunking on Shaq and Horace Grant.

This is not even remotely close. You're basically asking Prime MJ years or declining MJ years

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by SwooshReturns
    I'm just saying it's not even CLOSE to splitting hairs. It's just a testement to how great MJ is when three different versions of himself could all be considered the greatest player of all-time ... but one of them is heads and shoulders above ALL.

Kobe (2006 - 2010)
    LeBron James (2009 - Now)
    Shaq (2000 - 2002)

Are players I argue are as good or clearly better than '95 - '98 MJ.

There are quite a few players I'd rank up there w/ MJ of '85 - '89.

D. Wade (2006 - Now) is better than that version for example.

But MJ from '90 - '93 can't EVEN be touched.

Amazing considering he left at his peak for two seasons. We could've added two more years to that stretch.

After the '95 playoffs, his hops, athleticism, insane speed and quickness was all but gone (yet still was better than damn near EVERYONE else) ...

Seriously, watch MJ attack the basket in the '95 series v.s. Orlando. Getting by Penny and Nick Anderson off the dribble at will, dunking on Shaq and Horace Grant.

I thought he was talking 86-90 vs. 95-98???

By the way, i'm 35 and living near the Chicagoland area all my life watching Bulls games. Your not telling me anything.
    Last edited by bwink23; 02-28-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    This is not even remotely close. You're basically asking Prime MJ years or declining MJ years
    Not really, he's gauging ascension MJ v.s. declining MJ ... and the answer is easily declining MJ. Better player overall, hands down. The guy in the MIDDLE of that span however, is absolutely UNTOUCHABLE.

Peak MJ was like the best of Kobe, Wade, and LeBron rolled up into one.

The skill set, footwork, mid range / long range (not quite the range) of prime Kobe.

The attacking, quickness, off the dribble moves, and aggressiveness of prime Dwyane Wade.

The statistical dominance, durability, finisher at the rim, and full court impact as well "cool likeable generational factor" of prime LeBron James.

Combined w/ superior defensive capabilities than all of them, as well as being MORE CLUTCH than any of them could hope to be. (hi, LeBron stans ... this DOES exist)

MJ from '90 - '93 is a basketball player equivalent to a PERFECT STORM.

I thought he was talking 86-90 vs. 95-98???
    He is ... and the answer is obviously '95 - '98 MJ.

By the way, i'm 35 and living near the Chicagoland area all my life watching Bulls games. Your not telling me anything.
    I know I'm not teaching you anything ... I just like talking great players, Jordan in particular.