Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Lebron: Rates Dirk's Fadeaway As Second Most Unstoppable Shot In League History...

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    Not only that but...

http://www.amazon.com/Wilt-Larger-Ro.../dp/1572436727

In the twilight of his career, a 35 year old Wilt led the Lakers to victory over the Bucks and a 25 year old Jabbar during the 1972 playoffs. Even more astounding, was wilt blocked 20 shots in two consecutive games in that series, and 11 of those blocked shots were on Kareem. Who the heck ever did that to Jabbar. Makes you wonder what Wilt would have done in his prime. As great as Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, and Magic Johnson were, none of them had the impact or dominance of Wilt Chamberlain. The rules of the game were altered upon Wilts arrival into the league. Modern day fans talk of Shaq being the greatest center of all-time. Does anyone out there think Shaq could have blocked 11 Kareem shots in two games? Shaq wouldn't have been able to leap high enough to block a skyhook. That statistic alone, should be enough to convince anyone of Wilts athleticism.
    Wilt blocked some 15 skyhooks in that series alone. This from a 35 year old, in the twilight of his career, at over 300 lbs, and on a surgically repaired knee.

Banned

Default Re: Lebron: Rates Dirk's Fadeaway As Second Most Unstoppable Shot In League History...

makin excuses already Lebron?

Local High School Star nashwade's Avatar

sorry but I dont play basketball: why is a fade-away shot unguardable? The release would be lower than a regular jumper which means it is easier to block

Dirk is 7 feet tall, and has a high release. The smaller players that are quick enough are too small, and the players that are big enough are generally to slow and unused to defending that far out from the basket. That one-legged nonsense also helps him put space between himself and the the defender.

Quote Originally Posted by nashwade
    sorry but I dont play basketball: why is a fade-away shot unguardable? The release would be lower than a regular jumper which means it is easier to block
    because you have to reach over the body of the shooter to block a fadeaway. and when you do, it increases the likelyhood of failing fundamental defense on a shooter: FOULING

Quote Originally Posted by adri41
    Dirk is 7 feet tall, and has a high release. The smaller players that are quick enough are too small, and the players that are big enough are generally to slow and unused to defending that far out from the basket. That one-legged nonsense also helps him put space between himself and the the defender.
    the one legged nonsense throws off the defender's timing. they have no clue on how to react when they see the one legged fadeaway. they generally have never seen it before so they wont have any experience guarding it. its so fundamentally unsound to shoot off one foot because you can lose your balance when rising up for the jumpshot so easily. so as a defender, your first instinct is to let the shooter shoot a one legged fadeaway.

I think Russell Westbrook has the most unstoppable shot in NBA history. You'll NEVER get him to stop shooting.

I love that shot so much. Most players you'd be thinking "idiot"...but with Dirk it's "well that's going in".

Local High School Star nashwade's Avatar

nash probably learnt it in Dallas.. or vice versa

I don't think it's a big deal. it is just as unguardable as Kobe's or Wade's step back fadeaway. But props to Dirk for sinking it so consistently

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Most unblockable.

I think Rasheed Wallace's fade away jumper is up there. No one could stop that in his prime. It pissed me off he didn't use it every single time he got into the post.

Dirk's is very hard to stop. But he also abuses it which is great.
    Word. The thing with Sheed is that he still missed a bunch of those. Dirk has been pretty effective with his insane jumpshots...

National High School Star vinsane01's Avatar

First thing that came to mind was kareem's skyhook and then jordan's fadeway. How about robert parish's awkward looking high arching jumper?

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Without goal-tending rule in place I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Not only that but...

http://www.amazon.com/Wilt-Larger-Ro.../dp/1572436727

Wilt blocked some 15 skyhooks in that series alone. This from a 35 year old, in the twilight of his career, at over 300 lbs, and on a surgically repaired knee.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by nashwade
    nash probably learnt it in Dallas.. or vice versa

I don't think it's a big deal. it is just as unguardable as Kobe's or Wade's step back fadeaway. But props to Dirk for sinking it so consistently
    If a guy is quick enough and athletic enough both of Kobe and Wade's fadeway shots can be contested and or blocked. Dirk being 7 feet tall and releasing the ball SOOO high up and him putting a leg out as another barrier it's ridiculously hard to block that shot or even properly contest it without wacking or bumping him. Best way to guard that shot is to crowd Dirk and have a guy with fast hands that can try to strip him as he goes up for the shot.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

How is this making an excuse? He's telling the truth, its hard to stop that without fouling Dirk