Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
NZStreetBaller
Good college starter

Default What is this "you never saw jordan play" BS?

we live in a time where we have access to almost every single video in the palm of our hands. If you wanted to watch jordans entire career every single game, its definately possible. Old guys who sat around in the 90s waiting for jordan to come on the air (pun intended) and never missed a game seem to think they have more credibility when talking about him

Note:this goes for any player back in the day.
NZStreetBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
bison
Team Handsome

Default Re: What is this "you never saw jordan play" BS?

Nope. It's one of those ''you had to be there'' things. Having video access doesn't make up for actually living in the moment and watch your teams compete against Jordan LIVE. I don't know why people look down on intangibles when ranking players. When I rank players I also consider the culture they brought to the sport and the media hype they generated. Jordan was a juggernaut in that respect. And you can't gauge those things if you're not actually in that moment, taking it in as it perspires in present time. It's why I can't stand when people talk down on Bill Russell or Wilt. It's a shallow way to look at the game to just say "oh we have Youtube now so we can all be basketball experts"
bison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
NZStreetBaller
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison
Nope. It's one of those ''you had to be there'' things. Having video access doesn't make up for actually living in the moment and watch your teams compete against Jordan LIVE. I don't know why people look down on intangibles when ranking players. When I rank players I also consider the culture they brought to the sport and the media hype they generated. Jordan was a juggernaut in that respect. And you can't gauge those things if you're not actually in that moment, taking it in as it perspires in present time. It's why I can't stand when people talk down on Bill Russell or Wilt. It's a shallow way to look at the game to just say "oh we have Youtube now so we can all be basketball experts"

So nobody born before the 1950s can have an educated top 10 list because they didnt feel the hype ?
NZStreetBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Asukal
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZStreetBaller
we live in a time where we have access to almost every single video in the palm of our hands. If you wanted to watch jordans entire career every single game, its definately possible. Old guys who sat around in the 90s waiting for jordan to come on the air (pun intended) and never missed a game seem to think they have more credibility when talking about him

Note:this goes for any player back in the day.

Looking at highlights or watching games that you know the outcome of isn't as impressive as watching him play in TV not knowing what he would do next.
Asukal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
bison
Team Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZStreetBaller
So nobody born before the 1950s can have an educated top 10 list because they didnt feel the hype ?

Anyone can be educated on a top 10 list but part of that education (in addition to stuff like stats, video footage, etc of course) involves acknowledging testimony from players, coaches, reporters and fans who were there in the 50s, 60s, 70s etc. what would a top 10 list look like if we only consulted ISH trolls who think wilt is overrated cause "he played against midgets"? you can't be accurate about history based on assumptions.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
34-24 Footwork
GOAT Broken Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asukal
Looking at highlights or watching games that you know the outcome of isn't as impressive as watching him play in TV not knowing what he would do next.

So much this......

Knowing the outcome kills it for me.
34-24 Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
bison
Team Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asukal

^this, basically.

something different about watching the story unfold, rather than fast foward 20 years later when everything that can be written and said about jordan has been written and said.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
DeRozan m8
RENT FREE

Live Jordan was something special.

The world when Jordan was basically Jesus was amazing...no internet either and his reach and influence was nothing short of amazing.

He basically had the world in the palm of is hand.

The bron kids wouldn't understand because even with the net, Bron doesn't have anything close to that influence.
My mum wouldn't even know who Lebron was.
DeRozan m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #9
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Nobody could or would watch as many archives full games now to make up for someone watching entire seasons live. I remember Jordan games from 20 years ago better than I remember YouTube clips I watched this weekend. You just donít watch the same way. You donít pay the same attention.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #10
HenryGarfunkle
Banned

I watched Jordan live. I still remember vividly the day his father was murdered

If anything, Jordan is overrated by people who never saw him play. They think of Jordan as some unstoppable super-hero, when merely he was just a great scorer that played on the best roster under the best coach of the 90's and faced mediocre finals talent (the Jazz were his stiffest competition)

Don't get me wrong, MJ was great, but more than great he was just flatout lucky
HenryGarfunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #11
100grandman
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison
It's a shallow way to look at the game to just say "oh we have Youtube now so we can all be basketball experts"

Friggin hilarious, and true.

100grandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #12
HenryGarfunkle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhi m8
Live Jordan was something special.

The world when Jordan was basically Jesus was amazing...no internet either and his reach and influence was nothing short of amazing.

He basically had the world in the palm of is hand.

The bron kids wouldn't understand because even with the net, Bron doesn't have anything close to that influence.
My mum wouldn't even know who Lebron was.
Shut the hell up. you never watched Jordan iive

Stop trying to pretend you're apart of our culture
HenryGarfunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #13
Smoke117
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryGarfunkle

If anything, Jordan is overrated by people who never saw him play. They think of Jordan as some unstoppable super-hero, when merely he was just a great scorer that played on the best roster under the best coach of the 90's and faced mediocre finals talent (the Jazz were his stiffest competition)

Were you even born when the Bulls won their last championship, Simon?
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #14
LAmbruh
My city. His kingdom.

Because it's a simple cop-out for Jordan fans (or any 70's-90's fans) that struggle to keep up with a basketball debate

For those of us who grew up in the 80's-90's, watching Jordan play was a rarity unless you had WGN local network. There was no league pass unless you owned one of those illegal black boxes (yall remember)

NBC and TBS only aired national NBA games a few times a month, there wasn't 8-10 games per week like nowadays. Infact, Bulls games are substantially aired more today on Hardwood Classics than they ever were in the 80's-90's

So you're 6-14 year old kid in the 90's who hears so much about "Be like Mike", the shoes, the commercials, the Space Jam's but really only had the option to view his games once in a blue moon and come playoff time. It was like X-mas morning for many to see him play

You can understand why the nostalgia is embedded so strong, there was no other "superstar" outside MJ, especially in the 90's. Drextler stans, Malone stans, Hakeem stans, etc - non existant. People were sensationalized with nothing but Jordan. He was THE FIRST and THE ONLY Nike sponsored and marketed athlete for years

This is why MJ fans rely on the "didn't see him play" because ironically, they rarely did either and when they did were very young to even evaluate his game. Because of this he is heavily romanticized on the web and throughout forums by ppl in their 30's-40's

Last edited by LAmbruh : 03-20-2018 at 07:27 PM.
LAmbruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #15
fourkicks44
Long Live The Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryGarfunkle

I feel bad about it but this post made me laugh.
fourkicks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: