Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Lebron is not getting double-teamed

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    I can't for the life of me, figure out why Kerr doesn't double Lebron.

Lebron is dictating the pace of the game so well that it's disrupting the entire Warriors offense. They're used to a faster pace transition game and they've shown how good they can be when they can dictate the pace of the game with the 19 point come back.

If they double Lebron and make the other players beat them, they're bound to push the pace of the game just because no one else can make the plays Lebron can, or dictate the pace of the game like he does. They're also bound to make more mistakes which the Warriors are known to capitalize on.

It's REALLY frustrating.
    Then there's theres the other side to the coin where jr smith hits 6 or 7 threes in a row like in the hawks series And GS gets blown out

Very good NBA starter

Maybe because his team his full of shooters?

Btw i thought you were banned

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

He's not getting trapped is what you mean.

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    you're like a jehova's witness at the door. dont you get it i dont want your brochures. just gtfo off my porch
    signed

ISH

Great point and I completely agree. This Warriors team can be so deadly, but I feel like Kerr is being too cautious right now simply because they've played such good defense against the Cavs. The only problem is, their offense is suffering because of it.
    It's a double edged sword when you don't double Bron because you let him dictate the pace of the game (slow it down) and that affects GS offense also. At least when you double, you get the ball out of his hands and his teammates might commit turnovers or force bad shots. Or you might force turnovers when Bron is trying to pass out of the double. The point is, you can't just sit there with your thumb up your ass and let an all time great like Bron operate out of the post with no help. That's pure stupidity.

If Kerr doesn't double Bron in game 4, I will LOL and think about the good ole' days of Del Negro refusing to double Zo/Gasol.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    you're like a jehova's witness at the door. dont you get it i dont want your brochures. just gtfo off my porch

You cant double team lebron he is too good of a passer.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Then there's theres the other side to the coin where jr smith hits 6 or 7 threes in a row like in the hawks series And GS gets blown out
    That's always a danger, but even if JR makes his 3's, the game will be played at a much faster pace which is good for the Warriors. They can run with the best of them, and a faster paced game will tire out the Cavs faster and they are not nearly as deep.

What I think might happen is that the Warriors will switch back and forth depending on who's on the court. If Lee is on, they'll use Iggy and single coverage on Lebron. If Green's on the court, they'll try to double. This way they get to play to the strengths of their personnel.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

I can't for the life of me, figure out why Kerr doesn't double Lebron.

Lebron is dictating the pace of the game so well that it's disrupting the entire Warriors offense. They're used to a faster pace transition game and they've shown how good they can be when they can dictate the pace of the game with the 19 point come back.

If they double Lebron and make the other players beat them, they're bound to push the pace of the game just because no one else can make the plays Lebron can, or dictate the pace of the game like he does. They're also bound to make more mistakes which the Warriors are known to capitalize on.

It's REALLY frustrating.
    Kerr is naturally opposed to double-teaming a guy like Lebron, because Kerr knows first-hand that the double-teams on MJ is what gave him (Kerr) a meaningful career.. He knows how much double-teaming can backfire.

But Kerr was wrong on this one, and I was too - I initially thought Kerr should play Lebron straight-up, with no double-teaming... But I was forgetting one of my own rules about how high shooting volume can control the pace and flow of the game - and that's what Lebron is doing to perfection.. It's the same with MJ - you could never win a series against MJ by NOT double-teaming him, and no team ever TRIED to beat him by not doubling.

But the reality is that GSW are not as good as the Spurs, who could maintain their scoring at ANY pace or game flow.. Whereas GSW can't score at the bogged-down pace and game flow that Lebron is setting.

Here's the thing - MJ still beat you despite the double-teams, and Lebron might too.. But I think Lebron's chances of winning against double teams is less than MJ's, for several reasons... Firstly, MJ circumvented a lot of double-teaming by playing off-ball.. Lebron can't resort to off-ball play... Secondly, Lebron doesn't have his #2 right now (Kyrie), whereas MJ had Pippen.. Thirdly, MJ was a slimmer, quicker, true guard, who could navigate double teams better - whenever he was doubled, he would QUICKLY put himself in a position to make a play out of that double team.. MJ's navigation of double-teams looked effortless and beautiful, whereas I think Lebron is slower to decide and clunkier out of double teams.
    Last edited by 3ball; 06-11-2015 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Kerr is naturally opposed to double-teaming a guy like Lebron, because Kerr knows first-hand that the double-teams on MJ is what gave him (Kerr) a meaningful career.. He knows how much double-teaming can backfire.

But Kerr was wrong on this one, and I was too - I initially thought Kerr should play Lebron straight-up, with no double-teaming... But I was forgetting one of my own rules about how high shooting volume can control the pace and flow of the game - and that's what Lebron is doing to perfection.. It's the same with MJ - you could never win a series against MJ by NOT double-teaming him, and no team ever TRIED to beat him by not doubling.

But the reality is that GSW are not as good as the Spurs, who could maintain their scoring at ANY pace or game flow.. Whereas GSW can't score at the bogged-down pace and game flow that Lebron is setting.

Here's the thing - MJ still beat you despite the double-teams, and Lebron might too.. But I think Lebron's chances of winning against double teams is less than MJ's, for several reasons... Firstly, MJ circumvented a lot of double-teaming by playing off-ball.. Lebron can't resort to off-ball play... Secondly, Lebron doesn't have his #2 right now (Kyrie), whereas MJ had Pippen.. Thirdly, MJ was a slimmer, quicker, true guard, who could navigate double teams better - whenever he was doubled, he would QUICKLY put himself in a position to make a play out of that double team.. MJ's navigation of double-teams looked effortless and beautiful, whereas I think Lebron is slower to decide and clunkier out of double teams.
    The big difference between the two right now is that Bron is operating mostly out of the post, within 10 feet and they still aren't doubling. I am fine with letting Bron settle for jumpers all day, just like SAS did. But this version of Bron is smarter and better and he's not settling for jumpers. His main activity is within 10 feet, with his back to the basket and he's getting way too many easy looks.

OP got double-teamed last night and he certainly could not handle it

I always thought that Jordan was GOAT, but after reading these threads I now see LeBron > Jordan. Thanks OP

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Kerr needs to adjust.
    He may not be able to. It's easy to say to say what they should do, double Lebron and start getting Klay/Steph easier looks closer to the basket that will put some pressure on the Cleveland D. But their roster is not built to do either of those. To start asking them to do things they haven't done yet may be a recipe for disaster.

When have they really made any adjustments in these playoffs? Even against Memphis their problem (Tony Allen) resolved itself by getting an injury. It's not like they figured anything out. So to hear them say that they've been here before, well no you really haven't.

Even still, if they get red hot from 3 one of these games they can win. But Cleveland has controlled every game essentially. I see no reason why it won't continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrush25
    He may not be able to. It's easy to say to say what they should do, double Lebron and start getting Klay/Steph easier looks closer to the basket that will put some pressure on the Cleveland D. But their roster is not built to do either of those. To start asking them to do things they haven't done yet may be a recipe for disaster.

When have they really made any adjustments in these playoffs? Even against Memphis their problem (Tony Allen) resolved itself by getting an injury. It's not like they figured anything out. So to hear them say that they've been here before, well no you really haven't.

Even still, if they get red hot from 3 one of these games they can win. But Cleveland has controlled every game essentially. I see no reason why it won't continue.
    You don't need great defenders to double effectively. Besides, they have a lot of long, wing defenders who can double quickly. That is one of their strengths, their length at the wing positions. Iggy, Livingston, Klay, Barnes, etc. And you add in Green.

The point is, you have to adjust in the playoffs. If one team is killing you with a certain aspect of the game, you have to adjust and see how that plays out. If you adjust and they continue to kill you, you have to find another way to get it done. But you can't just let Bron operate within 10 feet of the basket alone.
    Last edited by ClipperRevival; 06-11-2015 at 02:14 PM.