Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Honestly, the Warriors problem has been offense, not defense

Warriors need transition points to get their offense going and to find their offensive flow.
    Lebron's isolation slows down the pace a lot. It forces gsw to play halfcourt offense the whole game.
    Lebron takes the whole shot clock and then shoots a small hook shot preventing warriors getting a long rebound and going quickly.
    The way cavs are playing offensively helps a lot to slow down warriors' offense.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6

Nah. David Lee was replaced for a reason. He's a sieve on defense and isn't the offensive player he used to be. He's too slow and cumbersome, and cannot stretch the defense from 3 like Draymond can.
    Problem is that Green isn't stretching anything. He's getting wide open looks and missing. He missed something like 13 threes in a row going into last night's game when he finally hit one late.

GS's offense looked a lot better with Lee in, even though it was for a short stretch. I hope he gets more rotation time, even if he is a liability on defense. GS needs an offensive spark...this is ridiculous.

College superstar

Yeah he's a vet but does he have any experience in high pressure playoff situations? Nope, so his veteran experience is null.

Just because he was an all star two seasons ago does not mean he's still an all star. Because if he was he would have made an impact during this season and helped the team, but he didn't because he's not a good fit for the team and he is terrible at defense.

On offense he has a jumpshot and he can rebound, however he is not a back to the basket type player and he cannot shoot the three. He's not quick enough to get past TT, LeBron, or even Mozgov. Would you rather have Lee settle for midrange shots, or have Curry, Thompson, Iggy, and Barnes taking 3's? You can't have Lee at center because he's not good on defense. If you have Bogut out there with Lee, that leaves only 3 shooters to stretch the floor, and given that Bogut has no jumpshot whatsoever and is slow and cumbersome as well, the Cavs can smother the other 3 jumpshooters and force them to pass it down low or take contested shots and hope that Bogut and Lee could get an OREB.

Then if you swing things down to the other end, Lee can rebound but he literally would be so bad on defense that it would negate his ability to rebound. I can almost guarantee that he would either give up an easy basket, foul, or get blown by which would cause a rotation, which would leave a shooter open for a 3.

I know you think he can help the Warriors on paper, but given their team structure and his playstyle, he would hurt them more than he would help them. The Warriors are just too small of a team without Bogut for their "biig" men to have any impact. The Warriors will win the series by the jumpshot and trying to stop LeBron, both of which haven't worked out too well so far.
    I don't know if you've been watching this series or not, but Green has been absolutely horrible on offense in every sense. His shot isn't falling, even when he's wide open. Because of this he has no confidence in himself offensively and has been passing up wide open 3's to drive it in and get blocked. I want to say he's been finishing something like 1/4 of his drives/layups because he's been forcing it in instead of taking perfectly good shots the Cavs have been giving him.

In terms of defense, Draymond's biggest strength this series has been his ability to play at C which he can still do with Lee on the floor. In terms of the Warriors' bigmen, Green included, Lee is by far the biggest offensive weapon. Bogut doesn't even look to score anymore, Ezeli has been solid but clumsy at times, and Green has no confidence in himself.

Lee has to play big minutes for the Warriors to have any chance. The Warriors looked better with him on the floor last night because he moves the ball more effectively than Green has all series, is a much better finisher at the rim, and he's actually able to compete with TT on the boards.

It looks to me that the Warriors aren't looking to double Lebron to try to change the pace of the game. If this is the case, then let Iggy guard Lebron on iso plays like he has all series long. It's been effective enough, but allowed Lebron to pick apart the defense with his passing because he doesn't feel much pressure with single coverage. The one good thing about this with Lee on the floor is that he won't be switched onto Lebron, because I agree, he can't guard Lebron.

Either one of two things needs to happen. Lee needs to play starter minutes, or Lebron needs to be doubled to force the ball out of his hands and allow his teammates to make mistakes which they are fully capable of.

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    I don't know if you've been watching this series or not, but Green has been absolutely horrible on offense in every sense. His shot isn't falling, even when he's wide open. Because of this he has no confidence in himself offensively and has been passing up wide open 3's to drive it in and get blocked. I want to say he's been finishing something like 1/4 of his drives/layups because he's been forcing it in instead of taking perfectly good shots the Cavs have been giving him.

In terms of defense, Draymond's biggest strength this series has been his ability to play at C which he can still do with Lee on the floor. In terms of the Warriors' bigmen, Green included, Lee is by far the biggest offensive weapon. Bogut doesn't even look to score anymore, Ezeli has been solid but clumsy at times, and Green has no confidence in himself.

Lee has to play big minutes for the Warriors to have any chance. The Warriors looked better with him on the floor last night because he moves the ball more effectively than Green has all series, is a much better finisher at the rim, and he's actually able to compete with TT on the boards.

It looks to me that the Warriors aren't looking to double Lebron to try to change the pace of the game. If this is the case, then let Iggy guard Lebron on iso plays like he has all series long. It's been effective enough, but allowed Lebron to pick apart the defense with his passing because he doesn't feel much pressure with single coverage. The one good thing about this with Lee on the floor is that he won't be switched onto Lebron, because I agree, he can't guard Lebron.

Either one of two things needs to happen. Lee needs to play starter minutes, or Lebron needs to be doubled to force the ball out of his hands and allow his teammates to make mistakes which they are fully capable of.
    We'll see if Lee has the impact you say he could have. I honestly do not believe he will make as much of an impact as you say he can. He is not a player that can turn the tide of a series in my eyes. If Lee and Green both play at the same time the Warriors will be very undersized and I don't think Lee's rebounding will be as great of a factor.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

It's like the team refuses to attack the basket (and on the few occasions they did, they scored). they need easy buckets. Seeing the ball going into the hoop is a good start. We'll probably see Lee get a lot more minutes and play inside out at times. The dubs are making this too hard on themselves.

College superstar

We'll see if Lee has the impact you say he could have. I honestly do not believe he will make as much of an impact as you say he can. He is not a player that can turn the tide of a series in my eyes. If Lee and Green both play at the same time the Warriors will be very undersized and I don't think Lee's rebounding will be as great of a factor.
    Yeah, we will see and I really hope I'm right. TT is good, but he's not this good. The only reason he's been so effective this series is because Green is shitting himself.

They have to attack the rim more with how effective the Cavs have been in guarding Curry tight and taking away the perimeter. You have to get the Cavs' d to start collapsing, especially during the stretches when Mozgov goes out.

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    It's like the team refuses to attack the basket (and on the few occasions they did, they scored). they need easy buckets. Seeing the ball going into the hoop is a good start. We'll probably see Lee get a lot more minutes and play inside out at times. The dubs are making this too hard on themselves.
    Pretty much agree.

It's just really difficult for a young team to play in a different fashion when they're being tested for the first time.
    Last edited by Goldrush25; 06-10-2015 at 03:04 PM.

This is why I never felt the Warriors were this great and unbeatable team. Let's be honest, if the Clippers don't do them the favor of knocking SA out, the Spurs would've beaten GS and most likely be up 3-0 or at least 2-1 right now on this depleated Cavs team.

GS is not ready for prime time, which is understandable considering their overall youth.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

You can only hide Lee's terrible defense for so long. Eventually the Cavs will start using pick and rolls to get Lee to switch on a quicker player, and then he'll either foul or give up an easy basket.

Lee would have lost his starting job to Green anyway because of the Warriors playstyle. His ability to rebound is not so great that his offensive and defensive shortcomings would change the tide of the series. He's not that good.

Lee was a defensive liablity , but coachs worked around it.
    his board work is still top notch , but I think you are right Cav's will adjust'

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    They have to attack the rim more with how effective the Cavs have been in guarding Curry tight and taking away the perimeter. You have to get the Cavs' d to start collapsing, especially during the stretches when Mozgov goes out.

cavs won't collapse. The'll stay glued to the perimeter even if it means giving up easier looks around the basket. The key for the cavs is to absolutely deny GSW from getting hot behind the arc.

Problem with Lee is he picked up 5 fouls in 13 min. He's gonna get abused on defense

What was that about Jax posting tweets on not winning with 3 ball? Oh, sorry - wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    You're an idiot...how finesse and non physical were the Grizzlies? Stick to what you're good at...pulling disappearing acts and sucking off Bron.
    you're the idiot. Memphis took 2 games off GSW. only reason Dubs won the series was because Grizz starters were injured.

but those 2 games the Grizz took off GSW, Dubs were made too look so foolish. unlike Cavs' win that have been all very close, Grizz wins were blowouts.

The Warriors defense is a big part of the problem also. The Cavs are shitting on them on the offensive glass, and they allow LeBron to eat 15 to 20 seconds into every shot clock while casually strolling across the court. They are getting nothing in transition by doing this. I think they had 4 fast break points this past game? There's no sense of urgency or pressure on D, which leads to a lethargic offense.