Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    National High School Star beastee's Avatar

Default Jazz quietly had a great draft

Jazz really impressed tonight. No fanfare, but they got a sure fire Starting guard in Exum (possible all-star), a great SG/SF in Hood at an absolute steal at 23 (great insurance if Heyward leaves) and a late first round talent in Jarnell Stokes at 35.

Very bright future with the development of Burke and their Bigs. This team is 2-3 years away from being a legit threat. They get my vote for Draft winner.

Default Re: Jazz quietly had a great draft

I love the fit with Exum on that team. Exum turns the ball over a lot and being able to have an actual PG in Trey to handle majority of the ball handling is exciting.

Hood was picked at great value as well, he could potentially start.

Quite pleased with it. Needed another shooter so I'm really happy with the Hood pick.

Snyder will have a ton of lineups he could play between the 1-3. Burke/Exum at the 1, Burke/Burks/Exum/Hayward at the 2 and Hayward/Hood at the 3. That's not including then keeping a Rush or Williams type for some more depth. Hopefully it's the end of Jefferson too. If Snyder can get Favors and Kanter firing up front, they could be a very good team in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Quite pleased with it. Needed another shooter so I'm really happy with the Hood pick.

Snyder will have a ton of lineups he could play between the 1-3. Burke/Exum at the 1, Burke/Burks/Exum/Hayward at the 2 and Hayward/Hood at the 3. That's not including then keeping a Rush or Williams type for some more depth. Hopefully it's the end of Jefferson too. If Snyder can get Favors and Kanter firing up front, they could be a very good team in a few years.
    What's your opinion on Trey Burke?

I liked him from what I saw last season, but I keep reading from other people who don't know the Jazz as well as you might that they didn't like him.

Agree for sure. Need to tank hard next year and get one more piece.

I also really think they shouldn't have offered Hayward, let the dude walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavves

I liked him from what I saw last season, but I keep reading from other people who don't know the Jazz as well as you might that they didn't like him.
    I haven't seen/heard anything to suggest they don't like him. I honestly think the Jazz didn't think Orlando would skip on Exum and they did the smart thing and simply took the best player there, even though all the talk was on them picking Vonleh. Burke knew it was a possibility the Jazz would draft another guard (Marcus Smart was high up on their board) and didn't seem too concerned about it leading up to the draft.

They're both adaptable enough that they could play either position, so I don't expect too many issues going forward. They've still got Raul Neto over in Spain for another year, so if they need more PG help going forward they can bring him over too.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    Agree for sure. Need to tank hard next year and get one more piece.

I also really think they shouldn't have offered Hayward, let the dude walk.
    They've only given him the QO, so if he gets an insane deal they can still decide not to match.

Local High School Star joshwake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wavves

Burke is decent. He may develop to the point where he makes an all-star game or two, but that is probably his ceiling. The Jazz don't need much from him though other than running plays and hitting open shots, and the occasional game winner, he is not afraid to take big shots. I am excited to see the kind of passing their backcourt is capable of now. Exum needs to work on his court vision and control, but Hayward, Burke, and Exum can all bring the ball up the floor and all of them can create their own shot and pass well.

Jazz need some depth, more shooting, and leadership, but they have cap space. I am ready for another bad year but I think if they grab some good FAs and pick up another nice player in the draft next year, this is a serious playoff contending team about 3-4 years from now.
    Last edited by joshwake; 06-27-2014 at 01:03 AM.

I hope the Exum pick doesn't hurt Burks development.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I hope the Exum pick doesn't hurt Burks development.
    Well it ain't gonna help that's for sure

Decent college freshman

Jazz crushed it. Exum is an elite prospect and the 3 man G rotation of Exum,Burke and Burks is incredibly intriguing. Any 2 of them can play together.
    I love Rodney Hood for them too. Could Hayward walk?

STokes got traded to Memphis for a future 2nd though.

Quote Originally Posted by beastee
    Jazz really impressed tonight. No fanfare, but they got a sure fire Starting guard in Exum (possible all-star), a great SG/SF in Hood at an absolute steal at 23 (great insurance if Heyward leaves) and a late first round talent in Jarnell Stokes at 35.

Very bright future with the development of Burke and their Bigs. This team is 2-3 years away from being a legit threat. They get my vote for Draft winner.
    Stokes was for Memphis. He's a hometown guy they wanted all along and he wanted to go here too. He was a huge steal at 35. The Jazz did draft really well though.

NBA All-star

don't know anything about this Quin Snyder guy

But I wonder if they hired him too early before they knew Exum would fall to them at 5.

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    don't know anything about this Quin Snyder guy

But I wonder if they hired him too early before they knew Exum would fall to them at 5.
    He's a developmental coach. It worked out perfectly.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by beastee

Some of those pieces wont be there in 2-3 years and the others will still barely be in their mid-20s.

Look at the ages of title winning teams. Unless the Jazz bring in some significant veteran talent, theyll be in 2-3 years where the Hawks were this year. A team with decent talent but not enough veteran depth to do anything.