Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: 2014-2015 Observation Deck

good luck to InspiredLebowski's boilermakers, I never thought they would make it to the conference semis, hopefully they take out Wisconsin.

The Illini are shit.

-Smak

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-200-letterman

Usually the saying goes, _(fill in the blank)_was a great player or great coach but a better person , none could be greater than Dean Smith.Just incredible.

Mully looking to be next coach at st Johns,should add some pep to that program and maybe he can channel some lou carnaseca magic soon.

Shaka Smart to Texas.

That's potentially very scary. Texas is a sleeping giant with their bottomless pit of money, Longhorn Network, and the current upswing of talent coming through that state. Look at the talent in Texas recently:

-Emmanuel Mudiay (rsci 2), Myles Turner (rsci 6), Justin Jackson (rsci 9), Justice Winslow (rsci 13)
    -Julius Randle (rsci 2), Andrew Harrison (rsci 5), Aaron Harrison (rsci 6), Keith Frazer (rsci 27)
    -Isaiah Austin (rsci 3), Marcus Smart (rsci 9), Rasheed Sulaimon (rsci 12), Cameron Ridley (rsci 14), and Danuel House (rsci 29).

In only the last 3 recruiting classes, Texas has had 13 top 30 players, 8 of which were top 10 in their class. Rick Barnes only managed to land 2 (Ridley and Turner).

Additionally how Texas is a football school should actually help. I know Carolina basketball helps with the football recruiting and it takes some of the pressure off giving Shaka time to build. Also Austin is a great city, both to lure college kids and raise a family (he has a 4 year old daughter and he's openly spoken about growing up without a father and the impact it had).

It's sobering because Shaka was at the top of my list after Roy retired in the near future. He reminds me a lot of a young Dean Smith. He's been outspoken about non-basketball issues, he has a good deal of personal academic achievement, I believe his wife is a socially active, Harvard and Northwestern graduate, political writer, and he's even butt heads with Coach K already. I'm a curious how HAVOC translates with NBA talent, but his style is fun to watch and his success on the court speaks for itself.

I don't see how Shaka leaves Texas if he builds something. Texas could match any offer any college could feasibly throw at him. Heck, they could triple the offer without sweating. And if he fails? Well no one wants a guy who couldn't cut it with the big boys.

That's disappointing, although I do hope he does well. He's easy to cheer for. Here is a nice article which has stuck with me comparing Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens from a few years ago.
    http://grantland.com/features/shaka-...ns-butler-vcu/

What's your short list for UNC coaches after Roy? I always thought Buzz Williams went to VT to prove that he could recruit and coach in ACC country before jumping to UNC.

All key players for North Carolina are returning for 2015-16 season and I can't wait.Mite already make plans for Houston final four trip as long as they stay healthy.