Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Bill Maher: "This Country is dumber than a bucket of $hit"

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    What do you mean? I was born in Canada so doesnt that make me an international student? Most colleges say so.
    I was born in Scotland...doesnt make me an international student.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    uh, news flash. The govt already "socialized" everything. The power grid, power plants, agricultural subsidies, transportation systems, police, military, education, etc.

As far as healthcare, this idea that private enterprise will use competition to keep the price low and make the system more efficient is a boldface lie. We have had a private enterprise insurance system for decades and where has it left us? Paying nearly twice as much as the next most expensive system for the 37th ranked health service in the world. Private enterprise has failed in healthcare (other than generating massive profits for the actual companies). We spend 10x as much as Cuba per person and have worse average healthcare.

We may have the best doctors, but we have the worst healthcare system (and I know Drs. who agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly).

You assume everyone should have healthcare... like it's an inherent right for ALL humans to live and prosper.

Why should the government pay for Welfare (free Children), free Education, free Healthcare, etc.???

What ever happened to, "survival of the fit, only the strong survive" ???

Nowadays, it's "survival of the fit... and everyone survives because the fit pays for the weak to live".

I know my opinions aren't popular, trust me, I've had arguments with many of my good friends about it. For example, if a poor person gets a terminal illness like Cancer, and can't afford to pay for the medical bills, then that person should just die.

Why should someone else pay (through government taxes) hundreds of thousands of their own hard earned money to pay for someone else to survive, who will most likely never contribute to society, and will almost certainly cost more than they will ever produce?

I realize it's somewhat of a disgusting stance on the situation, but it's also the way that the world has worked before humans started changing the rules; the weak and sick die, the strong and healthy live. This is the reality of life on the planet, except for with humans.

This is the reason so many dumb and fat people thrive in America. Want to have some kids? No problem, government will pay for it. Can't afford education? (or aren't even from this Country).. no worries, Government will pay for it. Can't afford to keep yourself healthy (even though you eat Cheeseburgers everyday).. no problem, Government will pay for it.

I don't know about you, but I keep myself healthy. I pay my medical bills. I payed for my own education... and I haven't had any children (yet) because I understand the huge financial burden. It's called being responsible and self-reliant. I already pay half of my paycheck to taxes so other people can feed off government services... and it's bullshyt.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    What do you mean? I was born in Canada so doesnt that make me an international student? Most colleges say so.
    are you here on a student visa? unless you left canada to come to the US for school, you arent an international student.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokee
    Maher was always left, even when he had Politically Incorrect. He got the show canceled and fired for saying terrorists were brave, right? I know it was something like that where the right wing patriotic 9/11 jerkoffs were attacking him for the comment

If anything these days he's had a lot to say criticizing the left.
    He was a huge Clinton guy when he was in office but that's the only "liberal democrat" thing I remember him being for. He had an episode with cops on there and said they have the hardest job in the world and that people need to stop *****ing about the few cops that mistreat people. He was best friends with Ann Coulter and him and Bill O'Reilly use to hang out on occasion.

uh, news flash. The govt already "socialized" everything. The power grid, power plants, agricultural subsidies, transportation systems, police, military, education, etc.

As far as healthcare, this idea that private enterprise will use competition to keep the price low and make the system more efficient is a boldface lie. We have had a private enterprise insurance system for decades and where has it left us? Paying nearly twice as much as the next most expensive system for the 37th ranked health service in the world. Private enterprise has failed in healthcare (other than generating massive profits for the actual companies). We spend 10x as much as Cuba per person and have worse average healthcare.

We may have the best doctors, but we have the worst healthcare system (and I know Drs. who agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly).
    dude...50% of healthcare is by the government
    2/3 of all healthcare is government healthcare.

This isn't a true private enterprise.

Lasik eye surgery stopped being covered by insurance companies and guess what prices went down and quality went up.
    Same thing with cosmetic surgery and contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason

if you are talking about social darwinism, it has never been a reality, simply a rubric used to promote political viewpoints (over a century ago I might add). Humans are inherently social beings, and being members of a society requires altruistic aspects (there are even evolutionary reasons for altruism). Take a step back from the US and ask yourself why we are the only ecnomically-powerful/industrialized nation that does not have universal healthcare of some sort? As I pointed out before, we spend more per person on a below average healthcare system than anywhere else. and for what?

is education a universal right? Police protection? Fire department response? roads and raillines? Hydroelectric dams? The power grid? military defense? food access? You fail to answer my prior post. the government has (and has had) "socialized" almost everything you use on a daily basis. Why is that ok and not healthcare?

The US trucking industry couldnt operate without the publicly funded road system, etc. The very foundations of the modern life you enjoy depend on government "socialization". Typical strawman argument.

Nowadays, it's "survival of the fit... and everyone survives because the fit pays for the weak to live".
    there is no reason to have a society at all if the most base beliefs of any animal will still be the rule...

we are supposed to evolve so we live longer and more healthy lives

what needs to be looked is where the balance comes in... where is the balance... we dont need to live like savages, but we also dont need to continue the welfare state..

to a degree government is here to protect the citizens and provide a degree of stability without compromising our freedom...

on one hand you cant just have law of the jungle...

but

on the other hand, no one gets taken care for free in the real world... when the government controls you, they own you....

the constitution has a pretty good balance IMO... I'd like to stick to that, but politicians have already twisted alot of what was intended... people need to educate themselves then return to the argument .

this sh*t you watch on television and read in the papers everyday is a show

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker

Lasik eye surgery stopped being covered by insurance companies and guess what prices went down and quality went up.
    2 things, your #s are inflated.

and what about lasic? It stopped being covered by what? and the prices went down? exactly. Nothing to do with govt funded healthcare. The bloated tick in the room is the insurance industry. I can go to the doc right now and get a significant discount (10-15%) if I pay it completely out of pocket rather than involve insurance. So, clearly, there is a major inefficiency in the current insurance industry that needs to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity
    He was a huge Clinton guy when he was in office but that's the only "liberal democrat" thing I remember him being for. He had an episode with cops on there and said they have the hardest job in the world and that people need to stop *****ing about the few cops that mistreat people. He was best friends with Ann Coulter and him and Bill O'Reilly use to hang out on occasion.
    just because you support cops doesnt mean you arent a liberal. Sheesh, you live in a two-dimensional world. hes always been progressive.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    You assume everyone should have healthcare... like it's an inherent right for ALL humans to live and prosper.

Why should the government pay for Welfare (free Children), free Education, free Healthcare, etc.???

I know my opinions aren't popular, trust me, I've had arguments with many of my good friends about it. For example, if a poor person gets a terminal illness like Cancer, and can't afford to pay for the medical bills, then that person should just die.

Why should someone else pay (through government taxes) hundreds of thousands of their own hard earned money to pay for someone else to survive, who will most likely never contribute to society, and will almost certainly cost more than they will ever produce?

I realize it's somewhat of a disgusting stance on the situation, but it's also the way that the world has worked before humans started changing the rules; the weak and sick die, the strong and healthy live. This is the reality of life on the planet, except for with humans.

This is the reason so many dumb and fat people thrive in America. Want to have some kids? No problem, government will pay for it. Can't afford education? (or aren't even from this Country).. no worries, Government will pay for it. Can't afford to keep yourself healthy (even though you eat Cheeseburgers everyday).. no problem, Government will pay for it.

I don't know about you, but I keep myself healthy. I pay my medical bills. I payed for my own education... and I haven't had any children (yet) because I understand the huge financial burden. It's called being responsible and self-reliant. I already pay half of my paycheck to taxes so other people can feed off government services... and it's bullshyt.

I'd understand your perspective if life were completely fair, but its far from fair and even. There are people who sit on their ass all day in an office with A/C that make 100x's more than people who work in the hot sun all day laboring, living day to day trying to feed a family barely making it. How hard you work doesn't always equal success and ease of life, more than what you were born into, what field of work you chose(this is so one sided its not even funny in some comparisons), and random luck. Not saying hard work doesn't get you places, but there are a lot of people who have had life much easier than others that reap all of the benefits, while the hard working person is struggling and ends up screwed unable to afford healthcare, amongst other necessities. I just don't get how people can justify the wealth gap in America when its so disproportional, and people are struggling to the degree they are. ITs not lazyness, and half the rich people in this country are a lot more lazy day to day because they can be.

I used to think life was so fair and equal, depending on how hard you worked. When i grew up and got into the 'real world', the biggest thing i realized is nothing is fair and just, more than it is what it is. For example what career field you decide to go into will dictate how much you struggle financially a LOT more than how hard you work at the field, or how much better than everyone else you might be at it. The worst lawyer will still make a hell of a lot more than the best teacher.

2 things, your #s are inflated.

and what about lasic? It stopped being covered by what? and the prices went down? exactly. Nothing to do with govt funded healthcare. The bloated tick in the room is the insurance industry. I can go to the doc right now and get a significant discount (10-15%) if I pay it completely out of pocket rather than involve insurance. So, clearly, there is a major inefficiency in the current insurance industry that needs to be addressed.
    I agree with that.

just because you support cops doesnt mean you arent a liberal. Sheesh, you live in a two-dimensional world. hes always been progressive.
    That was just one example. I'm all for being progressive cause that's what the forefathers would of wanted. It's a shame that the progressive movement has been perverted by retards. Also I live in a realistic world where I try to see things for what they really are. Even if I was 2 dimensional it's still better than looking at the world through a keyhole

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity

He's definitely not best friends with Anne Coulter. He did have a week long debate event with her somewhere, but even right after that he was talking about how much of a nut she was. I think he tries to be friends enough with people on the right to get them on his show. He was going out of his way to be nice to Megan Mccain even tho she came across as a 12 yr old lil girl trying to talk politics when she came on his show. He's also had other Republicans of whom he's pretty nice to, and tries to help them out a little bit since his audience and general guests are so left.

With Bill O Reilly i can't remember much between them. Maybe you're right about that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker

privatized does not always mean better. have you shopped for healthcare of late? Have you been hit with the telemarketing from supposed healthcare providers trying to sell you on what they call 'healthcare', but all it really is are coupons on specific medical expenses? There is just so much dishonesty when its about profit.

Besides, even if there were national healthcare, i bet there will be more specialized doctors and options of top private doctors you'll have if you feel the government recommended doctors are less than adequate. It bothers me when people say this since i think a lot of you will still use the national healthcare doctors because its cheaper for 99% of your medical needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokee
    He's definitely not best friends with Anne Coulter. He did have a week long debate event with her somewhere, but even right after that he was talking about how much of a nut she was. I think he tries to be friends enough with people on the right to get them on his show. He was going out of his way to be nice to Megan Mccain even tho she came across as a 12 yr old lil girl trying to talk politics when she came on his show. He's also had other Republicans of whom he's pretty nice to, and tries to help them out a little bit since his audience and general guests are so left.

With Bill O Reilly i can't remember much between them. Maybe you're right about that.
    Not any more you're right. I've heard him say they really don't talk at all anymore and that she is in fact a nut job(which she is). They use to be cool though

As anybody who ever watched Bill Maher knows, Maher never denied his friendship with Coulter and has openly defended their relationship on air in the past.
    Link