Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park TrueBlue89's Avatar

Default Is Draymond Green the most unique player in NBA history?

I'm trying to think of another player like him and keep coming up short. Elite defender from the PF position who can guard 1-5 yet can kill defenders on the other end with his playmaking, shooting & dribble penetration. Not only is he shooting almost 40% from 3 this season but he's breaking defenders off the dribble with crossovers and leading the Warriors in assists. It's ridiculous.

Hard to believe a once in a generation player like him was a 2nd rounder.

Default Re: Is Draymond Green the most unique player in NBA history?

You're overrating his offensive capabilities. He has become incredible at running the P&R/P with Curry, and making the right play when Curry gets doubled. I agree he's a unique player, but I think it's mainly because of his defensive versatility and his size. He has an uncanny ability to defend guys much bigger than him.

I didn't think he was going to be this great when he was coming off the bench as a rook for Jackson. I thought he'd be an offensively inept player whos job it was to get T'd up and get his matchup T'd up

Look at him now.

The GOAT is always unique

he is responsible for the nba funniest gif ever

NO WAY!! In my book, guys like Magic, Barkley, Lebron, and KG are more unique than Draymond. Guys like Artest for example could have done the same things Dray does. I think to be the MOST UNIQUE player, u gotta be a superstar level player. Because that UNIQUENESS equals DOMINATING a game. As good as Dray is, he's not a superstar level player. But WITHOUT a DOUBT he's one of the most versatile players in the world. But versatility and GREATNESS are two different things...

He is like a modern day Luke Jackson in some ways. Very underrated player who's impact went far beyond the boxscore.

National High School Star

He is basically what prime Diaw should of been.

Long arms, great strength base, good touch, good handles, great vision. If you asked Draymond to score on his own he'd be an awful player. However, as part of a pick and roll with a dominant pg he's one of the best decision making pf's I've ever seen. He knows how to shoot to open up the drive, the drive to finish with left or right with strength, and how to attack the d just enough to toss up the lob or dish to the corners. It is uncanny how good his decision making is.

NBA lottery pick

Manu is hands down the most unique guy at least in the modern era. We'll see 10 Lebrons before another Manu.

Good High School Starter notatop29pg's Avatar

Anthony Mason was Draymond Green before there was a Draymond Green.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by notatop29pg
    Anthony Mason was Draymond Green before there was a Draymond Green.
    beat me to the punch.

triceps for weeks

Good High School Starter notatop29pg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    beat me to the punch.

triceps for weeks
    Maybe less 3pt range but better handles + rebounding and possibly even passing (v close though).

Would be a super matchup head to head in a decider!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Top 3 PF.

Best passing PF in the game, arguably. Just as good, if not a better passer than Blake.

He's extremely unique yea, but I wouldn't call him the MOST unique ever, not really.
    I can name plenty of more-unique players, even some more-unique role-players.

I think you're exaggerating his defensive versatility a little bit... He's definitely an elite defensive player, versatile af on D and one of the best ever at guarding many different types of players and such, BUT there have been players (not many though) who were better at the whole guarding 1-5 thing, throughout history.

And I don't think I would ever refer to Draymond's offensive capabilities as "killing defenders"... Plus, you're overrating his dribbling skills there.
    Most of his assists come from fastbreak plays and "in-between" plays after p&r's with Curry and such, it's not like he's bringing the ball up the court then crossing nikkas up and making plays or something.

With that said, I've mentioned many times before that, imo, his named will be mentioned alongside Bobby Jones, Dennis Rodman, Manu Ginobili, Michael Cooper... as one of the GOAT role-players. Dude's that good, and still young.

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    He is basically what prime Diaw should of been.

Long arms, great strength base, good touch, good handles, great vision. If you asked Draymond to score on his own he'd be an awful player. However, as part of a pick and roll with a dominant pg he's one of the best decision making pf's I've ever seen. He knows how to shoot to open up the drive, the drive to finish with left or right with strength, and how to attack the d just enough to toss up the lob or dish to the corners. It is uncanny how good his decision making is.
    Hmm... Draymond can do his thing in the post but he ain't really ****ing with Diaw there. Plus, Boris has better soft-touch around the rim.
    Prime Diaw was a bit better, more efficient scorer, without shooting as many 3's.
    Green is - clearly - already better than Diaw as ever been on the defensive end.
    Both very good passers in their own "way", with lots of vision, even capable of handling the rock.
    Dray has the edge on rebounding and hustles more though, probably a better work-ethic.

LeBron could be such a better version of Draymond Green if LeBron had the mentality to actually try on the defensive end.

But no, I wouldn't say Green is the most unique player in NBA history. That'd probably be Magic Johnson, with LeBron James in second.
    Last edited by buddha; 11-16-2015 at 09:17 PM.