Default Great Grantland Article about Post game

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/we...u-its-rebirth/

[QUOTE] Smart post passing is a necessity now that defenses can bait post-up threats with all kinds of tricky help coverages. Fifteen years ago, Charles Barkley could back his man down and know the defense really had only two options: leave him in single coverage or send a hard double-team.

When the league scrapped the old illegal-defense rules, it freed coaches to get funky. Players can hover in open spaces; pretend they are going to help; swipe at the ball, and then recover back out to shooters; and emerge unannounced from almost anywhere.

Post-up scorers have to see two and three rotations ahead to create the most productive shots. If they go into a scoring move, they have to keep their head up, ready to improvise a pass if the defense sends help from an unexpected place. Post scorers who can

College superstar

Default Re: Great Grantland Article about Post game

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/we...u-its-rebirth/

Future of post play: Great post passers, posting up to prevent teams from going small
    I didn't read the article yet, I will. I just wanted to throw in that the first player I thought of after reading your take is Okafor.

For such a young player, he's a very composed post player that's very willing to pass out of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    I didn't read the article yet, I will. I just wanted to throw in that the first player I thought of after reading your take is Okafor.

For such a young player, he's a very composed post player that's very willing to pass out of the post.
    I agree. He uses the "magnetism" that his post up's create to create opportunities for his teammates

Banned

#1: Teams are gonna push Okafor to stretch his game. A midrange jumpshot will corrlate to him improving his free throws.

#2: Whenever Golden State puts Draymond Green in the post he is immediately looking to pass, that's why I scream to my TV to overplay the passing lanes. Having the ball frozen on side of the floor allows room for shooters to maneuver off of off-ball screens in hope to get open.

If Okafor can really develop an elite sense to pass the ball he'll be so useful for three point shooting teams, he would probably average more assist per game that people would think with how much attention he could provide just from the presence of him posting up. I really couldn't think that Okafor could anchor a winning NBA offense in this era, but after typing this I came to the conclusion that it really is possible.

College superstar

The problem is that there are VERY few players that require a double in the post anymore. The back to the basket game is all but gone.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    The problem is that there are VERY few players that require a double in the post anymore. The back to the basket game is all but gone.
    I think a lot of players "require" a double... it's just the "new" double team is not the same as the "old" double team that we associated with the phrase.

Now, as the article stated, you have players constantly jabbing in and out, in and out, different sides, angles.. never staying for long.

While the "old" double team was straight up two people guarding you.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

grantland should be renamed obvious land. worst part about it is they dress up their shit all pretentiously like they are doing ground breaking shit

pretend they are going to help; swipe at the ball, and then recover back out to shooters; and emerge unannounced from almost anywhere.
    Right They definitely couldn't do that back in the day Won't ever see plenty of tht when watching plays from back then