Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Top 25 all time? Who did I mess up on? (Don't care about the actual ranking 1 to 25)

Quote Originally Posted by MrFonzworth
    I'm a huge Stockton guy. If I'm starting a franchise, knowing about his consistency and longevity, and not the makeup of the rest of the team, the only PG I'd take over Stockton is Magic, and even that isn't definitive.

Stock will give you 20 years of keeping his name out of the papers, loyalty, leadership, and 15 years of elite PG play. But If I want to win ONE series, no way I'm taking him over the likes of Isiah, Oscar, Nash, Paul, Payton, etc.
    I don't see him dragging a team to the NBA Finals like Kidd did even though Kidd didn't face the best competition in the conference but given his players and the competition it was a pretty hard task.
    Or I don't see him dragging a team without its main scorer to 54 wins like Nash did in '06. Remember why Nash actually deserved that MVP award?..
    He gets ranked ahead of these guys based on reputation. Not actual level of play.

Default Re: Top 25 all time? Who did I mess up on? (Don't care about the actual ranking 1 to 25)

Somewhat in order

Jordan
    Kareem
    LeBron
    Wilt
    Russell
    Shaq
    Duncan
    Magic
    Bird
    Hakeem
    Kobe
    Oscar
    West
    Moses
    Dr. J
    Malone
    KG
    Dirk
    Barkley
    Robinson
    Pettit
    Baylor
    Wade
    Curry
    Durant

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Somewhat in order

KG
    Dirk
    Barkley
    Robinson
    I'd like to see KG's claim over all those 3 because he's like the one with the least chance for that #1 spot among those 4. I'm not dissing or something, actually trying to have a conversation. :)

Much better list than OP, BTW.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    I'd like to see KG's claim over all those 3 because he's like the one with the least chance for that #1 spot among those 4. I'm not dissing or something, actually trying to have a conversation. :)

"Much better"... 4 names different...

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn

Thanks bro

To be honest with you, it's really the top 10-15 of that list that are in more concrete order, the rest are in relative order, more so in tiers than anything else. So if someone wanted to arrange those 4 players in any order, I wouldn't disagree. If we're talking strictly basketball ability & skill, not accolades, I probably would still rank KG first of the 4 because I think he was the most complete player. He'd give you 20-25 points a night, was a monster on the glass, could set teammates up and lead playmaking duties if needed, and of course played phenomenally on the defensive end.

But you could easily choose the others for solid reasons. Dirk for his elite scoring, outside shooting & gravity on offense, and the ability to consistently carry modestly talented teams to 60 wins & deep playoff runs. Barkley for his amazing offensive prowess, relentless effort on the glass, and being able to take his game to an even higher level in the playoffs. Robinson for his absurd athleticism and being an elite two way player, he could score 25+ a game while being a monster on defense

Jordan Stopper

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Somewhat in order

Jordan
    Kareem
    LeBron
    Wilt
    Russell
    Shaq
    Duncan
    Magic
    Bird
    Hakeem
    Kobe
    Oscar
    West
    Moses
    Dr. J
    Malone
    KG
    Dirk
    Barkley
    Robinson
    Pettit
    Baylor
    Wade
    Curry

Durant

Robertson, Iverson, Nash, Stockton, Garnett, Durant, Wade, Nowitzki, Bryant and Pippen over DRob is insulting.

GP being snubbed for Stock and Nash is also really bad.

You appear to undervalue defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    "Much better"... 4 names different...
    Did you try to having a conversation with yourself? You're pretty idiotic.
    Also, more than half of those names are pretty set and stone. 4 is a big number.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFonzworth
    So what did Stockton actually accomplish with his longevity? A bunch of numbers? He played with a fringe top 5 player practically his entire career and did what exactly?

In his prime, he lost in the first round of the playoffs five times. Four times being the higher seed, you're telling me the 2nd best player on those underperforming teams is a top 25 player of all time? He lost in the 1st round of the playoffs more years than he was the best PG in the league. You can't just rank legacies with regular season stats. His name will always hold weight because of the record books, but he was a fringe superstar at best. And peak > longevity for sure, no argument whatsoever.
    John Stockton was a great player, and one of the savviest, most cerebral players I've ever seen. Had a bottomless bag of tricks, textbook ball control, excellent shooting mechanics, and impeccable command of the offense. Quite possibly the best off-hand passer of all-time.

That said, he never truly played above his standard levels, say explode for 30 plus and carry his team through rough stretches in the playoffs. His strength, consistency, was also his greatest weakness. He did not take over games when nobody else was making shots, when the offense was in the toilet, etc. Those are the marks of the very greatest players of all time.

Your list is 2000s heavy:

1960s (4)
    1970s (2)
    1980s (5)
    1990s (6)
    2000s (9)
    2010s (3)

(It adds up to 30 cause 5 players had primes in multiple decades: bron, barkley, shaq, jordan, kobe)

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    He did not take over games when nobody else was making shots, when the offense was in the toilet, etc. Those are the marks of the very greatest players of all time.

And yet this is something that the very GOAT of the entire sport wasn't known for.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Come on man Zeke is top 16 at the very least

Local High School Star

I'd probably remove Iverson, Nash, Curry, and Pippen

I'd add definitely add Robinson, Baylor, Karl Malone, and Isiah

Serious playground baller Nowoco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    Durant is not a top 25 player.
    I agree.

He's a top 10 player.

I think the top 15 is pretty easy. Not a defined order but 'roughly' how I see it:

Jordan
    Kareem
    Russell
    Shaq
    Lebron
    Wilt
    Magic
    Bird
    Duncan
    Hakeem
    Kobe
    Oscar
    Moses
    West
    Dr.J

16-25 gets a little tricky. For me (again a rough order):

Barkley
    K.Malone
    Admiral
    Garnett
    Dirk
    Wade
    Curry
    Durant
    Baylor
    Petit

Honorable mention 10 : Isiah, CP3, Kidd, Ewing, Pippen, Payton, Stockton, Drexler, Iverson, Nash