Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Default Top 25 all time? Who did I mess up on? (Don't care about the actual ranking 1 to 25)

This list is not in order... I don't give a **** about the exact order nor do I have any interest in discussing that... I just want to know who you think I listed in the top 25 all time that shouldn't be there and who SHOULD be in their place...

Russell
    Wilt
    Jordan
    Erving
    Robertson
    Bird
    Magic Johnson
    O'Neal
    Iverson
    Duncan
    Bryant
    James
    Nash
    Stockton
    Olajuwon
    Moses Malone
    Barkley
    Jabbar
    Garnett
    West
    Curry
    Durant
    Wade
    Nowitzki
    Pippen

Possible names on the outside looking in... Kidd, Karl Malone, Payton, Westbrook, McGrady, Ewing, Robinson, Isiah Thomas, Chris Paul, Ray Allen, Pierce, etc...

Default Re: Top 25 all time? Who did I mess up on? (Don't care about the actual ranking 1 to 25)

Stockton. He finished only 1 time in top 5 in an MVP race. He doesn't belong there. His peak/prime wasn't never as good.
    Also, I could argue that Pippen can (or even should) be left out.

There's no David Robinson in the list. But KG's there. Leave out Stockton and include David Robinson. I'm thinking of Pippen replacement.

Wait, Stockton is there and not Karl Malone!?..

I keep editing the post but you got so many things wrong.

Stockton? Has no place.
    You can't include Garnett and then exclude David Robinson. It's no brainer.
    Pippen isn't as good as Zeke on individual level and thinking that Zeke led his team to 2 titles, and would've threepeated before anybody since Russell if there wasn't a phantom call.
    Last edited by Odinn; 01-16-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Default Re: Top 25 all time? Who did I mess up on? (Don't care about the actual ranking 1 to 25)

Pippen was on the bubble but I looked at the other names and I'd rather have him be the first piece I add to build a team over the rest of them.

Stockton absolutely is in the top 25 simply because of his longevity. Longevity matters a HELL of a lot when we're talking about all time ranking, in my opinion...

Maybe I put Karl Malone in Pippen's spot, given that info... maybe so. Probably so.

Longevity is the thing that separates players from being a truly all time great to being a footnote. Look at McGrady.

If McGrady had a sustained, healthy, 20 year career... he would be looked at much differently than he is now. In 10-15 years time most people that watch the NBA won't know who Tracy McGrady is other than being on ESPN commentating...

I agree with you on Pippen though... I was just having a hard time coming up with a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25

Nash
    Stockton
    Wade

Before my time but I'm pretty sure Baylor is top 25.

Stockton is overrated af for obvious reasons. And definitely has no argument over Malone.

Didn't notice Nash too, come on man

Stockton absolutely is in the top 25 simply because of his longevity. Longevity matters a HELL of a lot when we're talking about all time ranking, in my opinion...
    No, he's not. If you actually think this your criterias are flawed and you can not do something other than some stat reading.

Durant is not a top 25 player.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankaii
    Before my time but I'm pretty sure Baylor is top 25.

Stockton is overrated af for obvious reasons. And definitely has no argument over Malone.
    Yeah. Baylor is a great call. Also Havlicek can be named in top 25, thinking those era.

Karl Malone
    Elgin Baylor
    Havlicek

Are 3 players that should had been mentioned on the outside look at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    No, he's not. If you actually think this your criterias are flawed and you can not do something other than some stat reading.
    Longevity matters. It is quite possibly the most important thing when considering the all time rankings.

Longevity/staying healthy and being lucky enough to be playing with prime Shaq are the two biggest things that separate Tracy McGrady from... Kobe Bryant.

Friendliest Poster :) E_Stamkos's Avatar

I think Elgin Baylor deserves honorable mention.

Maybe Hondo...

Longevity matters. It is quite possibly the most important thing when considering the all time rankings.

Longevity/staying healthy and playing with prime Shaq is biggest thing that separates Tracy McGrady from... Kobe Bryant.
    Longevity matters if your peak/prime is there to back it up. Your arguments and criterias are flawed.

Mate, if you go someone to say John Stockton was better than Karl Malone, there's nothing you can do to be taken seriously.

Longevity/staying healthy and being lucky enough to be playing with prime Shaq are the two biggest things that separate Tracy McGrady from... Kobe Bryant.
    So what did Stockton actually accomplish with his longevity? A bunch of numbers? He played with a fringe top 5 player practically his entire career and did what exactly?

In his prime, he lost in the first round of the playoffs five times. Four times being the higher seed, you're telling me the 2nd best player on those underperforming teams is a top 25 player of all time? He lost in the 1st round of the playoffs more years than he was the best PG in the league. You can't just rank legacies with regular season stats. His name will always hold weight because of the record books, but he was a fringe superstar at best. And peak > longevity for sure, no argument whatsoever.
    Last edited by MrFonzworth; 01-16-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFonzworth
    So what did Stockton actually accomplish with his longevity? A bunch of numbers? He played with a fringe top 5 player practically his entire career and did what exactly?

In his prime, he lost in the first round of the playoffs five times. Four times being the higher seed, you're telling me the 2nd best player on those underperforming teams is a top 25 player of all time? He lost in the 1st round of the playoffs more years than he was the best PG in the league. You can't just rank legacies with regular season stats. His name will always hold weight because of the record books, but he was not a fringe superstar at best. And peak > longevity for sure, no argument whatsoever.
    This

17 seasons with Malone and didn't amount to shit

offensively an average scorer who couldn't defend for shit

I'm a huge Stockton guy. If I'm starting a franchise, knowing about his consistency and longevity, and not the makeup of the rest of the team, the only PG I'd take over Stockton is Magic, and even that isn't definitive.

Stock will give you 20 years of keeping his name out of the papers, loyalty, leadership, and 15 years of elite PG play. But If I want to win ONE series, no way I'm taking him over the likes of Isiah, Oscar, Nash, Paul, Payton, etc.