Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #31
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 8,105
Default

Career, obviously. Or else Benard King would be hailed a top 35 player ever.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:29 PM   #32
Batchoy
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: in the State of Confusion
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Career, obviously. Or else Benard King would be hailed a top 35 player ever.
Nate "Tiny" Archibald would be ranked way up there too. Led the league in assists and points in a season (34.0 ppg and 11.4 apg). No one else has done that...yet.
Batchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #33
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro
 
Y2Gezee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In hell when Im on ISH
Posts: 4,177
Default

Quote:
The 80's differ to today's basketball as much as the 60's to the 80's. I don't know why, if the 80's stars could dominate every era, the 60's ones couldn't. And no, Elson could only dominate the 40's and early-mid 50's. Then was the era of the "6-7 centers". Wilt's era was quite different, though. The only legit 6-7 center of that era was Wes Unseld, who was also around 300 lbs at his peak.


The 80s don't differ today that much, when talking about the individual player. The best players in the 80s can hang with or in most cases out play the ones of today. As most of them were better 2 way players. Only major difference is that the teams today aren't as good or as deep in part to expansion.


Back on topic, Magic went through greater competition to get his 5 than Jordan to get his 6. Yeah, Mike was one of the greatest defenders ever, but Magic still was a very good defender overall and helped lead some very good defenses. Now take into consideration that Magic ran an offense probably better than anybody in history or (at worst top 3), and could probably make the Hawks today into an well-oiled machine and probably a better leader than Mike, well I think that makes up for some of the defensive and scoring Mike has over Magic.

And for Zombles to say he isn't top 5 is
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #34
basketballer4
Sweaty ti.ts
 
basketballer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Universe.
Posts: 588
Default

Kevin Garnett.
basketballer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #35
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 8,105
Default ...

Quote:
And for Zombles to say he isn't top 5 is wtf

Kareem
Jordan
Wilt
Bird
Bill

All have cases for top five. It's not all out wrong to say Magic is not top five.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #36
Sound and Fury
Verbosity Incarnate
 
Sound and Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 140
Default

Boy, this topic got derailed quickly.

I actually thought Bill Simmons made a great point in the article where he compared Larry Legend to Big Papi - when you become an NBA icon, it's like climbing Mount Everest. You get to the top of the mountain with everyone else, and that's it. You can't climb MORE of Everest than the whole thing.

IMO, there are eight players that sit atop the "Everest" of the NBA and are in the All-Time Greats section. In no particular order:

Wilt, Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Russell, West, Robertson.

You can make a pretty good argument for ANY of these players being "the" greatest of all time, but that's just silly - they're all transcendent talents but their games were different enough that they can't be compared apples-to-apples. How do you compare Jordan - a slashing two guard - to Russell, a defensive anchor in the middle? Answer? You can't. You simply say that they were all incredible talents and leave it at that.

So to the original poster's question, I don't put Jordan "first" but if you want to single him out from the other seven guys, fine - the other seven are all tied for second place.

Last edited by Sound and Fury : 08-08-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Sound and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #37
The Mamba
I rule the local playground
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
The man also had the best team mates. He's up there, but you can't judge a player solely on rings.
He had a good player or two with him, but you can't hold that against him. He was the leader of that team, and he had 11 rings. He was supremely talented. And is hands down, the best defensive big to ever play the game. For the most part, he was the one making those teammates better. Bob Cousy is the only one you can really make a case for as being a great on his own merits.
The Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #38
Sound and Fury
Verbosity Incarnate
 
Sound and Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Kareem
Jordan
Wilt
Bird
Bill

All have cases for top five. It's not all out wrong to say Magic is not top five.
How does Bird "have a case for top 5" when Magic doesn't? There is a reason the two are always linked, and it's not just because they came into the league together after playing in the NCAA championship game. They're basically joined at the hip - both were ultimate team players who could score, shoot, pass, and rebound - whatever was needed. Bird probably had the better shooting eye, and Magic was more athletic (especially once Bird's back started giving him trouble), but in general, they were almost interchangeable as players - in fact, Magic would "play Bird" and vice versa in scrimmages when they were preparing to play against each other.

Last edited by Sound and Fury : 08-08-2006 at 01:04 PM.
Sound and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #39
GothamKnight
I usually hit open layups
 
GothamKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound and Fury
Boy, this topic got derailed quickly.

I actually thought Bill Simmons made a great point in the article where he compared Larry Legend to Big Papi - when you become an NBA icon, it's like climbing Mount Everest. You get to the top of the mountain with everyone else, and that's it. You can't climb MORE of Everest than the whole thing.

IMO, there are eight players that sit atop the "Everest" of the NBA and are in the All-Time Greats section. In no particular order:

Wilt, Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Russell, West, Robertson.

You can make a pretty good argument for ANY of these players being "the" greatest of all time, but that's just silly - they're all transcendent talents but their games were different enough that they can't be compared apples-to-apples. How do you compare Jordan - a slashing two guard - to Russell, a defensive anchor in the middle? Answer? You can't. You simply say that they were all incredible talents and leave it at that.

So to the original poster's question, I don't put Jordan "first" but if you want to single him out from the other seven guys, fine - the other seven are all tied for second place.

Shaq should be up there
GothamKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #40
cks9505
Learning to shoot layups
 
cks9505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 55
Default

Depends on how you view the question.
If you ase this on accomplishments you have to say Bill Russell
If you base it on talent, I don't think anyone is touching Lebron James right now
cks9505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #41
Sound and Fury
Verbosity Incarnate
 
Sound and Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamKnight
Shaq should be up there
No, he shouln't (and I like Shaq). Shaq had the size for physical dominance, but had nowhere near the skill and drive that the others had. (Even Wilt, who was physically dominant, had an incredible amount of skill - remember, when criticized for not being anything but a scorer, he said, "fine, I'll lead the league in assists next season" - and then did it).

If you implanted Jordan's will to win and work ethic in Shaq's body, Shaq would probably be on the list - but Shaq has interests outside of basketball and is not all-consumed with winning. Fair or not, the perception is that Shaq squandered his talent and just coasted through his career on raw ability, which is why most people won't put him on the GOAT list. Hakeem is probably "in line" before Shaq is.

My knock on Shaq is not that he wasn't dominant, but that he made no effort to improve, while the rest of the guys I named did, which made them progressively MORE dominant. That's the difference (to me, anyway).
Sound and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #42
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Wilt, Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Russell, West, Robertson.
Shaq
Quote:
Shaq had the size for physical dominance, but had nowhere near the skill and drive that the others had.

So does Jason Collins.
Quote:
If you implanted Jordan's will to win and work ethic in Shaq's body, Shaq would probably be on the list - but Shaq has interests outside of basketball and is not all-consumed with winning. Fair or not, the perception is that Shaq squandered his talent and just coasted through his career on raw ability, which is why most people won't put him on the GOAT list. Hakeem is probably "in line" before Shaq is.


You look to mcuh into the medias pespective of it, Magic had other interest rather then the NBA , he liked to party just as much as the next guy. I'm not saying Shaq is better then any of those guys on you're list but there can def. be a argument made that this man deserves to be up there. 4 rings , 1 MVP , 9 con. fg % best in the NBA , 10 plus all-star appeareances, 20pts or more whole career, 10 rebs or more except last year.
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #43
K*O*B*E
Saw a basketball once
 
K*O*B*E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 43
Default

Magic is the best complete basketball talent ever to grace a basketball court point blank period. centers are like line men in the NFL they should never be consired the best because they duties are so limited wilt did not have any ballhandling duties he didn't face any one equal with his size the best player he faced was not even a true center compared to him. but it has to be magic
K*O*B*E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #44
The Mamba
I rule the local playground
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K*O*B*E
Magic is the best complete basketball talent ever to grace a basketball court point blank period. centers are like line men in the NFL they should never be consired the best because they duties are so limited wilt did not have any ballhandling duties he didn't face any one equal with his size the best player he faced was not even a true center compared to him. but it has to be magic
Magic didn't play much defense, though. But he is definetely up there. Amazing talent.
The Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #45
JtotheIzzo
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wolviapolis
Posts: 14,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K*O*B*E
Magic is the best complete basketball talent ever to grace a basketball court point blank period. centers are like line men in the NFL they should never be consired the best because they duties are so limited wilt did not have any ballhandling duties he didn't face any one equal with his size the best player he faced was not even a true center compared to him. but it has to be magic

you're a complete idiot and no one should ever take anything you say seriously again because of that statement.

Wilt a lineman????Falkin hell dude have you lost your mind? has wankin to Kobe pullout posters made you blind?

Look at his stats, tell me ANY lineman in history that has ever dominated like that.

Forget about all his scoring records, the guy averaged 23 rebounds for his CAREER.

BTW. the best complete player has to have a jumpshot, and Macgic aint got one.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

2019 FIBA World Cup

Team USA Basketball

NBA free agency

NBA free agents list

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy