Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: WOJ: Spurs only team Aldridge is confident about currently.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Yea, but you know what...any team he goes to...he's going to spend some time at center each game.

Even on the Suns with Tyson. Tyson isn't playing 38 minutes a game or something.

And the league is trending, and will continue to, trend towards position-less basketball.

Some situations are better than others for this for LMA, but dude is playing some minutes each night at center regardless of where he goes...especially if he wants to win...it's one of the things that makes him as valuable as he is.

It's what I'm sure Riley is gonna try to sell him on....pairing him with Bosh....and being able to just destroy teams with that versatility on both ends.

If he really wants to win...he's gonna have to put in the hard work of banging a little, protecting the paint, and working his ass off on defense.

If he doesn't want to do that shit...he should just go back to the Blazers and take the money.
    LMA isnt versatile on defense at all like Bosh tho. Hell hes not even that good of a defender

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    The most important thing is the playoffs, and he'll spend 0 time at center during the playoffs.

People talking about the original 3 retiring totally forget kawhi is going to be on a joke of a contract once the cap goes up. EASY to get someone else if those guys bounce.
    This just isn't true....a lineup of Parker, Green, Leonard, Diaw, and LMA would definitely be used at times in the playoffs.

Now, you could say Diaw would technically be center or something, but there is just too much value going small when you have LMA and Green/Leonard on the perimeter.

He just is going to have to come to terms with part of what makes him so great is his versatility that would allow for something like that.

Do spurs really have cap for him or they doing S&T?

Well, it was the first time that the Raps were even in a situation like this. It was a long shot he would sign here, but I'm glad they pitch went well anyways.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

This just isn't true....a lineup of Parker, Green, Leonard, Diaw, and LMA would definitely be used at times in the playoffs.

Now, you could say Diaw would technically be center or something, but there is just too much value going small when you have LMA and Green/Leonard on the perimeter.

He just is going to have to come to terms with part of what makes him so great is his versatility that would allow for something like that.
    Yea I would have said Diaw would be, my point is he will not be relied upon as a center

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    LMA isnt versatile on defense at all like Bosh tho. Hell hes not even that good of a defender
    I know he's not Bosh on defense. I'm not claiming that....at all.

I'm saying that Bosh/LMA would be fine defensively if they worked at it and it would allow them to rape teams on the other end.

Bosh has already proven he can play quality defense at center...and any team that is trying to win a title is going to ask LMA to play a little time at center and work hard on defense.

Like I said above...if he doesn't want to do that...then don't go to legit contenders. Because that is what it is going to take.

The game is changing....not like LMA and a guy like Roy Hibbert is good together anymore like it would have been 2 years ago. They'd get run out of the gym by anyone going small.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

And if they are trotting out that lineup out there, they will get bounced in the first or second round.

That lineup has 1 3 point shooter on the floor, no interior defense, no points in the paint (LMA shoots more midrange jumpers and less efficiency than Dirk).....
    and get killed on the boards...

What made the Spurs successful was having good 3 point shooters as well as having bigs that could finish inside and rebound. No Duncan/Splitter in that group... no chance of staying with the Grizz/Clips/Rockets/Warriors....

Quote Originally Posted by jbryan1984
    Do spurs really have cap for him or they doing S&T?
    They cleared enough room, I believe.

Spurs are the only team I know will use him right and get him a ring. If he leaves I hope he goes there. Pop is a great coach. Duncan is about to retire soon. It's a good situation. I just wish we could get something back for losing a free agent that big.

Yea, but you know what...any team he goes to...he's going to spend some time at center each game.

Even on the Suns with Tyson. Tyson isn't playing 38 minutes a game or something.

That is why they have a young up-and-coming player in Alex Len to be out on the court for when Chandler is on the bench. The Suns I'm sure don't expect Chandler to exceed 30 minutes a game. Len showed this past season that he was more than capable.

If Aldridge wants to immediately compete for a championship, he should go to the Spurs.

If Aldridge wants to have the biggest payday, he should stay with Portland.

If Aldridge wants to be the star player on a team and never have to play center, he should go to Phoenix.

If Aldridge wants the most attention and marketing viability, he should go to the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    And if they are trotting out that lineup out there, they will get bounced in the first or second round.

That lineup has 1 3 point shooter on the floor, no interior defense, no points in the paint (LMA shoots more midrange jumpers and less efficiency than Dirk).....
    and get killed on the boards...

What made the Spurs successful was having good 3 point shooters as well as having bigs that could finish inside and rebound. No Duncan/Splitter in that group... no chance of staying with the Grizz/Clips/Rockets/Warriors....
    Uhhh...just no.

Leonard is a good 3 point shooter for starters....so I don't know what the **** you are talking about.

In fact, Parker and Diaw can not just be left open either. Good luck just leaving those guys wide open...teams would not do that.

And I'm not saying they trot that lineup out there like that is the lineup they play most often.

I'm saying that the Spurs would ask LMA to be on the court when they go smaller. It just makes a lot of sense....they are going to ask him to try his ass off on defense because if they can defend (already have two elite perimeter defenders in that group) that lineup can cause nightmare matchup problems.

Versatility is important here.

What is that team doing when the Warriors go uber small? They gonna run Duncan out there and hope Draymond Green misses wide open 3 after wide open 3?

No, they'll have to match...at least in some way...or they'd be toast.

That is the whole point of why the Spurs make so much sense for LMA. They can play against any style. They can play big or small...fast or slow. They can play LMA all the way out at the 3 point line on offense if need be.

You don't just pick 1 style and stay with it no matter what.

What made the Warriors so great, in large part, was their ability to play every style well and play both sides at an elite level.

If the Warriors couldn't go small...they might have lost the title to a scrub Cavs team.

Versatility is key...and LMA better realize he's gonna have to man up and play some center if he wants to win it all on the Spurs...and really any team that is legit contending.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 07-02-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    That is why they have a young up-and-coming player in Alex Len to be out on the court for when Chandler is on the bench. The Suns I'm sure don't expect Chandler to exceed 30 minutes a game. Len showed this past season that he was more than capable.

If Aldridge wants to immediately compete for a championship, he should go to the Spurs.

If Aldridge wants to have the biggest payday, he should stay with Portland.

If Aldridge wants to be the star player on a team and never have to play center, he should go to Phoenix.

If Aldridge wants the most attention and marketing viability, he should go to the Lakers.
    Agreed on all fronts.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

Uhhh...just no.

Leonard is a good 3 point shooter for starters....so I don't know what the **** you are talking about.

In fact, Parker and Diaw can not just be left open either. Good luck just leaving those guys wide open...teams would not do that.

And I'm not saying they trot that lineup out there like that is the lineup they play most often.

I'm saying that the Spurs would ask LMA to be on the court when they go smaller. It just makes a lot of sense....they are going to ask him to try his ass off on defense because if they can defend (already have two elite perimeter defenders in that group) that lineup can cause nightmare matchup problems.

Versatility is important here.

What is that team doing when the Warriors go uber small? They gonna run Duncan out there and hope Draymond Green misses wide open 3 after wide open 3?

No, they'll have to match...at least in some way...or they'd be toast.
    And again... trotting out that lineup for basically 20 minutes a night? Because Duncan isn't playing 40 minutes... it will mean the Spurs are a second round exit at best.

And Diaw and Parker are not good 3 point shooters. Forget percentages. Neither shoot enough from range for it to matter. Parker shoots 32% for his career on **1** attempt a game. Diaw is a career 34% shooter on **1** attempt a game.

That lineup is going to have spacing problems. Big time. Throw in the lack of interior defense, and rebounding? It will be a disaster.
    Last edited by Locked_Up_Tonight; 07-02-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    And again... trotting out that lineup for basically 20 minutes a night? Because Duncan isn't playing 40 minutes... it will mean the Spurs are a second round exit at best.

And Diaw and Parker are not good 3 point shooters. Forget percentages. Neither shoot enough from range for it to matter. Parker shoots 32% for his career on **1** attempt a game. Diaw is a career 34% shooter on **2** attempts a game.

That lineup is going to have spacing problems. Big time. Throw in the lack of interior defense, and rebounding? It will be a disaster.
    It's not going to have spacing issues. The issues would be on defense.

You aren't giving nearly enough credit to Leonard/LMA just as offensive weapons on their own there.

I never said Parker or Diaw were great 3 point shooters. I said you can't just leave them wide open at the 3 point line. It doesn't matter how many they've taken in the past or percentages. They aren't physically inept...they can shoot the ball well enough to draw attention at the line if need be.

The whole point would be about giving Leonard or LMA space to operate on offense in the wing post (which is a really good option against teams going small)...while being able to match up defensively and not get pick and rolled to death with a slow big on the court.

Spacing issues? No. Diaw, Leonard, and LMA can all play in the post/wing post and shoot 3's if they are open. They can play pick and roll with Parker as well...they can run action weak side or spot up green or run him off a million screens as well.

Spacing issues with literally every one of those guys being able to make open 3's and 2 of them being reliable 3 point shooters...with 3 of them comfortable on the post/wing post? Just no.

They'd simply have to go with some version of a lineup with LMA playing the big or they won't be able to play against teams going small.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 07-02-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Very good NBA starter

I'll believe his commitment to the Spurs when I see it official

edit: in other words, not getting my hopes up