Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
DuMa
Canned
 
DuMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,508
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

Shaq changed a lot of the rules in the NBA.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #17
fpliii
sahelanthropus
 
fpliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,974
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

HM: The Big O (free agency)
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
Jameerthefear
Paid shill
 
Jameerthefear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Swimming in cash
Posts: 38,815
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
LeBron is going to go down as one of the top 5 as well. Dude has changed the way young basketball players want to play. He's changed it from that "Be like Mike" mode to a "Team player, pass over shot"
no, that's not true.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
LongLiveTheKing
Top 3 Family
 
LongLiveTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,915
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerspng
He's changed it for the negative. His approach to the game is to play for the stats. he's a PER era player, only take high% shots not because they're the best for the team, but because they keep my fantasy stats higher. He's the opposite of Magic, Magic played team ball for the team's good. Lebron plays ball dominant force feed team ball for his personal glory. I don't get how people can't see it. Lebron's as selfish as any "chucker" in the game.
It's not like kids even know what all those stats are? And casual fans know Lebron isn't selfish. Lol @ he does it for personal glory.
LongLiveTheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #20
lakerspng
Local High School Star
 
lakerspng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,714
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing
It's not like kids even know what all those stats are? And casual fans know Lebron isn't selfish. Lol @ he does it for personal glory.

He's a great player, an all time great, but he has a terrible approach to the game. He is a stat padder and a glory hound. Doesn't make him bad by any means, but you can't deny it. Every tendency he has on the court is to make himself look better. He's a stat junkie and so are a ton of young players coming up. It's a bad trend in the league.
lakerspng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty
 
Scholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Swaggy P's Palace
Posts: 9,413
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

Oh, God. I make a thread about who I think are the most influential players & within 2 pages, it becomes another LeBron thread.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
SamuraiSWISH
Coach
 
SamuraiSWISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,477
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecBaller
Jordan
Iverson
Dr.J
The trinity of most influential players, both in play, athletics, swagger, demeanor, and style. Anyone else stated is a blatant lie.
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #23
Orlando Magic
Very good NBA starter
 
Orlando Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,726
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

Wilt.... enough said.

Jordan... enough said.

Magic... co-carried an era.

Bird... co-carried an era.

Shaq... rule changes and goal redesign.

/thread for non faggots who know a damn thing.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #24
Doranku
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Doranku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,474
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
Wilt.... enough said.

Jordan... enough said.

Magic... co-carried an era.

Bird... co-carried an era.

Shaq... rule changes and goal redesign.

/thread for non faggots who know a damn thing.

I would put Magic/Bird together and include Dr. J.
Doranku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
#number6ix#
WHITESIDE
 
#number6ix#'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pinewood, FL
Posts: 3,501
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

I think dr.j should be #2 on the list... Watching his documentary I never realized his profound effect on the nba, I mean I knew he was a beast but the guy pretty much saved the nba...

Not to mention his overall influence on the youth at the time including MJ who patterned parts of his game after Dr.j...

Add to the fact that his games were televised which is a advantage over wilt because the early portion of his career cannot even be seen
#number6ix# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #26
Sharmer
Brotherhood of Red
 
Sharmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Embrace the Dark Side
Posts: 1,952
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

Yao and Lin for bringing in the rice eaters.
Sharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #27
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls
 
La Frescobaldi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,891
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

Quote:
Originally Posted by #number6ix#
I think dr.j should be #2 on the list... Watching his documentary I never realized his profound effect on the nba, I mean I knew he was a beast but the guy pretty much saved the nba...

Not to mention his overall influence on the youth at the time including MJ who patterned parts of his game after Dr.j...

Add to the fact that his games were televised which is a advantage over wilt because the early portion of his career cannot even be seen

I was so glad to see that myself, and although I disagree about Doc saving the NBA.... he sure was a direct injection of energy and excitement.
But there is a lot of myth about the 70s being a bad era too. Yeah ticket sales were off after the stars of the '60s retired & there were problems with drugs etc. but it was a great time for the NBA too! In some ways the 70s has been my favorite so far - stars galore, great team play, and the league was real balanced.
TV itself had a lot to do with ticket sales in those days. They didn't have a lot of 'blackout' rules and so forth

But Erving was the real thing for sure, along with the just slightly lesser flash guys like Gervin, D Thompson, Adrian Dantley and Spencer Haywood pounding down low, John Havlicek flashing transition, Earl the Pearl... not that they rate up in this list but they are just below it really
La Frescobaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
secund2nun
Kobe= 1st round loser
 
secund2nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,300
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerspng
He's changed it for the negative. His approach to the game is to play for the stats. he's a PER era player, only take high% shots not because they're the best for the team, but because they keep my fantasy stats higher. He's the opposite of Magic, Magic played team ball for the team's good. Lebron plays ball dominant force feed team ball for his personal glory. I don't get how people can't see it. Lebron's as selfish as any "chucker" in the game.

Kobe influenced the game with his shot jacking. He paved the way for me first selfish players like Jennings who put I above team and base their games on low efficient shots. Keep being delusional and and making excuses for Lebron's superior scoring ability that has high efficiency.

High efficiency shots should be what teams are based on, not low efficiency idiot shots like contested fadeaways that Kobe promotes and has negatively influenced the game with.

Last edited by secund2nun : 08-03-2013 at 08:10 PM.
secund2nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #29
secund2nun
Kobe= 1st round loser
 
secund2nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,300
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

There are 2 types of influences. The first is how they influenced the rules and strategies. Dominant forces like Wilt influenced the rules and strategies because of they were so dominant teams had to change their way to defend against him.

However because of his rare physical talents which cannot be taught, Wilt did not really influence many player's games (2nd type of influence) as much as other players who had skills that can actually be learned like Hakeem. Hakeem has influenced fellow players a lot more than Wilt and Shaq. Dirk has also influenced players greatly, promoting the stretch PF model.
secund2nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #30
Fresh Kid
NBA lottery pick
 
Fresh Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: long island, NY
Posts: 5,139
Default Re: Top 5 Most Influential Players in NBA History

Jordan, Dr j., magic, Iverson and Frazier/ewing
Fresh Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

2019 FIBA World Cup

Team USA Basketball

NBA free agency

NBA free agents list

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy