Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
97 bulls
NBA Superstar
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,683
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Wade just completed his 3rd consecutive season of averaging over a block per game.

It's the first time a guard has accomplished that in almost 40 years.

so obviously that's something jordan was never able to accomplish.
See, this again is a classic example of only looking at stats. But not taking the respective eras into account. Wade doesn't have to worry about illegal defense. So he can roam alot more than back in jordans day. Its a concept that im sure pro wade fans will refuse to acknowledge cuz the truth isn't really important. Just agendas
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
Ikill
i be killah swag
 
Ikill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,442
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
See, this again is a classic example of only looking at stats. But not taking the respective eras into account. Wade doesn't have to worry about illegal defense. So he can roam alot more than back in jordans day. Its a concept that im sure pro wade fans will refuse to acknowledge cuz the truth isn't really important. Just agendas
be serious your a Wade hater
Ikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
Hank
Heatles = Dynasty
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Listening to the Heatles
Posts: 1,524
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
See, this again is a classic example of only looking at stats. But not taking the respective eras into account. Wade doesn't have to worry about illegal defense. So he can roam alot more than back in jordans day. Its a concept that im sure pro wade fans will refuse to acknowledge cuz the truth isn't really important. Just agendas

And you're a classic example of someone who doesn't look objectively at everything involving different eras.

in the same NBA.com story I read on Wade leveraging his 3rd consecutive season of having that blk average, they showed why guards used to harness a lot more blocks back in Jordan's era compared to today.

What Wade is doing is even more impressive considering all of that. Because it's less the norm now compared to back in those other eras.. for a variety of reasons they mentioned.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #19
97 bulls
NBA Superstar
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,683
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
And you're a classic example of someone who doesn't look objectively at everything involving different eras.

in the same NBA.com story I read on Wade leveraging his 3rd consecutive season of having that blk average, they showed why guards used to harness a lot more blocks back in Jordan's era compared to today.

What Wade is doing is even more impressive considering all of that. Because it's less the norm now compared to back in those other eras.. for a variety of reasons they mentioned.
Really? Name some of the reasons they gave.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
97 bulls
NBA Superstar
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,683
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikill
be serious your a Wade hater
Lol why are you accusing me of being a wade hater? Cuz I try to be subjective. And look at situations as opposed to just stats?

What im doing is no different than in any other situation in life. For instance. A $1000 isn't worth nearly as much now as it was back in the 80s. So if a guy says he made a$ 1000 dollars back then, that's like the equivalent to 1500 to 2000 today. its all relative to the terms and conditions.

Im sure you don't believe that wilt chamberlain would be able to avg 50 ppg in this era right?
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #21
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 18,629
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

Wade is my fav player and he's great at blocking shots, but MJ was simply better. Not a whole lot better, just better.

Aside from the physical attributes, MJ was able to know how and when to block and jump. He'd block shots while contorting his body to avoid a foul, jump up to block a shot with one hand and then while in mid air change his body angle and block with the other. His timing was so impeccable that he'd jump before the offensive player even set up for a shot (re-read), hang in the air and block it cleanly.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #22
Boston C's
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,752
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
Doctor Rivers,
Is Dwyane Wade the greatest human being of all time?
also, do you expect him to cure cancer this summer?

LMAOOOOOO.... greatest post i have seen today
Boston C's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #23
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 38,883
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

Guess no one has heard of George Gervin?

He avg 1.6, twice, 1.5. Over 1 block for 7 seasons, and 1 season at .9 blocks.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #24
Kobe24Clutch
Banned
 
Kobe24Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lebron's Hairline.
Posts: 813
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
Doctor Rivers,
Is Dwyane Wade the greatest human being of all time?
also, do you expect him to cure cancer this summer?

Doctor Rivers = On wade's dick.
Kobe24Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #25
Boston C's
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,752
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Guess no one has heard of George Gervin?

He avg 1.6, twice, 1.5. Over 1 block for 7 seasons, and 1 season at .9 blocks.

some well deserved love for the iceman
Boston C's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #26
sh0wtime
.
 
sh0wtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,579
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

At his size probably, much of that has to do with his ridicilous wingspan, he is 6'4" and has just about almost the same wingspan as most 6'9"-6'11" forwards/centers, 1 inch or a half shorter than Lebron's wingspan for example.

But then you have to also remember that blocks & steals were not recorded back in the days. I'm sure the likes of Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor (6'4-6'5) or even some smaller guys would had many more blocks than Wade.

But as a guard, you could say its George Gervin and after him Michael Jordan, Dwyane Wade.

Last edited by sh0wtime : 06-07-2011 at 08:25 PM.
sh0wtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
asdf1990
College star
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,046
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
Doctor Rivers,
Is Dwyane Wade the greatest human being of all time?
also, do you expect him to cure cancer this summer?

Relax he is good but only Jordan could cure cancer.
asdf1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #28
PP34Deuce
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,114
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

This is hard....MJ was the master of the Block steal. dude would block a guys shot and palm the ball in his hand for the steal.

Kept theball in play 80 percent of the time.
PP34Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #29
OldSchoolBBall
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,120
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

He's behind at least MJ imo. Zone helps his numbers because he gets to hang around plays (especially in and near the lane) a lot more than Jordan was ever able to under man-to-man rules. Wade doesn't have to stick to his man closely and can track plays and hang around plays longer due to zone rules, leading to more blocks and more block opportunities. Wade under man to man rules would average .8-1.0 bpg annually with high seasons of 1.2-1.3 bpg. Jordan under zone rules would be at 1.2-1.4 bpg annually, with high seasons of 1.6-1.8 bpg.

He's a fantastic shotblocker, though.
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #30
detroitdogg
Dunking on everybody in the park
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 696
Default Re: Is Dwyane Wade the greatest shot blocking guard in league history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
He's behind at least MJ imo. Zone helps his numbers because he gets to hang around plays (especially in and near the lane) a lot more than Jordan was ever able to under man-to-man rules. Wade doesn't have to stick to his man closely and can track plays and hang around plays longer due to zone rules, leading to more blocks and more block opportunities. Wade under man to man rules would average .8-1.0 bpg annually with high seasons of 1.2-1.3 bpg. Jordan under zone rules would be at 1.2-1.4 bpg annually, with high seasons of 1.6-1.8 bpg.

He's a fantastic shotblocker, though.
You knoe bout 40% of Wades blocks comes off his man, matter of fact, you could say that Wade is the most versitile shotblocker to ever play the game, and im talkin all positions. How you ask, cause Wade gets his blocks evey way possible, over the last 8 years he leads all players and positions in blocked jumpshots, bigs dont block many jumpers. Im willing to bet he is top 10 in man to man blocks for all positions considering most bigs get theirs off help, and im willing to bet that he leads all players in fastbreak blocks, dude is pound for pound the best shotblocker to ever play the game really, theres not much disputing it.
detroitdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

2019 FIBA World Cup

Team USA Basketball

NBA free agency

NBA free agents list

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy