Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 2002 WCF Game 6 - Every 4th Quarter Foul

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41

And I think that is commonly accepted in the sports world.
    Doesn't necessarily mean the concept (or game in this instance) can't be re-examined.

Most of the sports-world thought Dirk was a choker and/or soft player before winning it all this past season. I've seen you disagree with that notion VEHEMENTLY, providing cold-hard facts that say otherwise. What's the difference?

And I think that is commonly accepted in the sports world.

No it's not, this isnt the Black Sox scandal for crying out loud

On that Kobe elbow, Bibby grabs him around the waist first, that should have been a foul on Bibby.

Gotta love how the haters have NOTHING to say

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

There is a level of frustration that comes from playing a tough team and getting jobbed by the refs as well.
    THIS is what it all stems from. The Lakers were the two time defending champs.. a sort of evil empire.. the big dogs. Regular fans outside of LA and fans in general across all sports tend to always route for the underdog.. and ESPECIALLY when the underdog has the champs on the ropes. Of course there will be a level of frustration when the team you want to lose wins.. and especially so if they got a bunch of calls go their way. But bad calls and bs happen all the time in the NBA.

I remember a HUGE momentum turner in this years Finals.. The Heat were down 2 points I believe with 1 minute left in the 4th Q of a pivotal game 5 in Dallas. Lebron scored a bucket on the fastbreak that was recalled and he was issued an offensive foul.. but 95% of the time, Lebron gets that call in HIS favor. Not saying the game was rigged, but that call was the turning point in the series.. and it was not consistent with what we have seen called for Lebron his whole career.

The entire sports world just didn't wake up after that game in outrage because of some "Laker Hate" or anything.....even LA beat writers and fans were willing to admit something just wasn't right about that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Doesn't necessarily mean the concept (or game in this instance) can't be re-examined.

Most of the sports-world thought Dirk was a choker and/or soft player before winning it all this past season. I've seen you disagree with that notion VEHEMENTLY, providing cold-hard facts that say otherwise. What's the difference?
    Exactly.. people didn't just wake up one morning and decide that Dirk was a choker. There were a few select plays and chokejobs he had that gave him that image.. much like Kobe's elbow hitting Bibby being called a foul on Bibby. All it takes are a few polarizing plays to have the media sensationalize something that isn't necessarily true as a 'fact'.

Just posted this to another board.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Holy Random's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    On that Kobe elbow, Bibby grabs him around the waist first, that should have been a foul on Bibby.
    God you are a complete ****ing moron

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Random
    God you are a complete ****ing moron
    I love your avatar!

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Holy Random's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    I love your avatar!
    I made a full gif a while back and then thought it would be perfect for an avy.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    THIS is what it all stems from. The Lakers were the two time defending champs.. a sort of evil empire.. the big dogs. Regular fans outside of LA and fans in general across all sports tend to always route for the underdog.. and ESPECIALLY when the underdog has the champs on the ropes. Of course there will be a level of frustration when the team you want to lose wins.. and especially so if they got a bunch of calls go their way. But bad calls and bs happen all the time in the NBA.

I remember a HUGE momentum turner in this years Finals.. The Heat were down 2 points I believe with 1 minute left in the 4th Q of a pivotal game 5 in Dallas. Lebron scored a bucket on the fastbreak that was recalled and he was issued an offensive foul.. but 95% of the time, Lebron gets that call in HIS favor. Not saying the game was rigged, but that call was the turning point in the series.. and it was not consistent with what we have seen called for Lebron his whole career.

Exactly.. people didn't just wake up one morning and decide that Dirk was a choker. There were a few select plays and chokejobs he had that gave him that image.. much like Kobe's elbow hitting Bibby being called a foul on Bibby. All it takes are a few polarizing plays to have the media sensationalize something that isn't necessarily true as a 'fact'.
    this has nothing to do with dirk.

its about a lakers game that has one of the worst and most one sided reffed games of all time.

lol at bring dirk into it....

Quote Originally Posted by catch24

there are no cold hard facts here. i count 5 bs calls....and just the way the game was reffed was a joke in that 4th qtr.

much like game 7 in the finals in 10....most of those were fouls by the letter of the law....but most of those weren't called the first 3 qtrs...which is why stuff like this has to be experienced more in the moment to get an accurate read

posting isolated plays is fine, but it doesn't give you the entire picture.

this has nothing to do with dirk.

its about a lakers game that has one of the worst and most one sided reffed games of all time.
    No.. it's about how you can declare all of the media calling dirk a choker for years bullshit, but turn around and act like the media couldn't be wrong in how the depicted game 6 in 02.

Saying people didn't one day wake up and all of a sudden make this up can be used to describe both scenarios. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that that series as a whole was reffed evenly with both sides getting the benefit of the whistle in different games.. just like how there is plenty of evidence of Dirk being clutch outside of his few horrific meltdowns.

No.. it's about how you can declare all of the media calling dirk a choker for years bullshit, but turn around and act like the media couldn't be wrong in how the depicted game 6 in 02.

Saying people didn't one day wake up and all of a sudden make this up can be used to describe both scenarios. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that that series as a whole was reffed evenly with both sides getting the benefit of the whistle in different games.. just like how there is plenty of evidence of Dirk being clutch outside of his few horrific meltdowns.
    are you serious? its not even remotely the same thing....

Dirk did choke at times....there is evidence of that. I never disputed that. I said labeling him a choker because of a couple poor moments is silly. totally different.

My issue with that is that every player has "choked"....like your boy kobe. he's choked plenty of times. lol

That game was just a simple screw job by the refs. Same with game 5 in 06 finals.....were most of the fouls in that game called properly? I bet, but it was the huge nature of the refs involvement that allowed the game to get out of control like it did with Wade just flopping all over the place and getting every call while the Mavs couldn't get a call.

Was it rigged? I have no idea.

The reason the term "rigged" comes up in the kings/lakers series is because it forced a game 7 and because donaghy talked about it.

And if you can't understand the difference in calling dirk a "choker"...when he's actually one of the most clutch players compared to calling a game "rigged"....that any way you slice it...it was a one sided reffed game

Again, totally different.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 08-24-2011 at 11:44 PM.

are you serious? its not even remotely the same thing....

Dirk did choke at times....there is evidence of that. I never disputed that. I said labeling him a choker because of a couple poor moments is silly. totally different.
    And acting like this whole series was rigged for the Lakers to win or that the refs had an agenda to keep LA in it and to win it in the end because of ONE quarter in ONE game is silly as well.

Dont act like people think of this whole scandal as a one game thing.. most see the whole series as rigged from the start because of a few 'poor moments' from the refs in one of the games.

And acting like this whole series was rigged for the Lakers to win or that the refs had an agenda to keep LA in it and to win it in the end because of ONE quarter in ONE game is silly as well.

Dont act like people think of this whole scandal as a one game thing.. most see the whole series as rigged from the start because of a few 'poor moments' from the refs in one of the games.
    I didn't say that. I said that game. I already talked about how the Kings got a lot of help in game 5.

Most see it that way because the Kings were the better team. They should have won the series. Partly their fault for blowing some key moments and game 7....and partly the refs fault in my opinion for not staying consistent and favoring the Lakers more.

The series is another topic. This is about game 6. Chazzy sees only 1 bad call. I see around 5 or so. Some of those calls simply were not fouls leading up the 4th qtr and some just aren't fouls at all.