Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    "The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Default Re: Melo his future....

I just wanna throw out there that I find it hilariously hypocritical when peolpe rip Melo for all his "shortcomings" regarding winning and then bring up guys like Kevin Love and CP3. Because we all know how much they've won in the NBA throughout their careers.

And remind me again what Rondo won pre big three.
    Last edited by franchize; 01-02-2014 at 02:37 AM.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    I just wanna throw out there that I find it hilariously hypocritical when peolpe rip Melo for all his "shortcomings" regarding winning and then bring up guys like Kevin Love and CP3. Because we all know how much they've won in the NBA throughout their careers.

And remind me again what Rondo won pre big three.
    So just say he isnt worth 25 plus Mill...

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    So just say he isnt worth 25 plus Mill...
    Why would i say something I don't agree with. I think he's an elite player. Therefore I am ok with us paying him a max contract. Period.

Krust Kingz

Why would i say something I don't agree with. I think he's an elite player. Therefore I am ok with us paying him a max contract. Period.
    Obviously elite and any surperlatives you use outside him shooting just doesnt cut it. Nothing you described warrants 25 mill plus. This post has been sitting here for a while and if no one on an open forum has any legitimate or logical reasons to give this guy that much money its a bad deal. Provided he opts out.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

The issue though is, even the elite's dont make that money, even though I dont feel he's elite....he's a notch below.

The elite's truly carry their clubs regardless of talent, and they carry the weight of key positions on the court including their own.

Melo has been blessed with having decent teams his whole career, and he's received solid credit for being the best player on those teams.

But a truly elite doesnt tote a record this bad in their prime regardless of talent.

Even that pretty terrible Lakers squad Kobe was a part of some years back was 24-19 to start their season.....they lost games later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    The issue though is, even the elite's dont make that money, even though I dont feel he's elite....he's a notch below.

The elite's truly carry their clubs regardless of talent, and they carry the weight of key positions on the court including their own.

Melo has been blessed with having decent teams his whole career, and he's received solid credit for being the best player on those teams.

But a truly elite doesnt tote a record this bad in their prime regardless of talent.

Even that pretty terrible Lakers squad Kobe was a part of some years back was 24-19 to start their season.....they lost games later in the season.
    Like who?

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Like who?
    Apparently not Melo.

but I'm of belief that if the best player doesnt make max...no one should.

Krust Kingz

Like who?
    He already listed players he believes are better than Melo...

I listed the criteria that a Max player should hit. For some organizations they dont have to hit all those to you they dont have to hit none but to me they should.

If you dont have a real franchise player but you pay him like one its almost impossible to build a real team around them because they will eat the cap trying to find people to cover up everything he doesnt do. That's when you get stuck with a Joe Johnson for example.

Not airballing my layups anymore

You guys are all way more experienced than me but I reckon you are too black and white with Melo. I actually think it's really close as to whether he deserves a max deal. He is undoubtedly an elite scorer when in the mood. I always remember what Spoelstra said after the series we lost two seasons ago "I don't know how you stop that guy". He also averages almost 9rpg when he tries and is a proven clutch finisher. If that were the full story there would be no question but of course he is perennially inefficient. For me, that is hard to judge in his time with the Knicks, it could be he's just an inefficient scorer. But it could also be that he's surrounded by trash on a poorly coached team that relies heavily on him taking a lot of bad shots to score.

My feeling is that he has shown enough to warrant a max deal IF it was on a team that had the front office, coaching and cap space/assets to properly build around him. Of course we are currently 0/3 there. But if they started moving what assets we have now in preparation for the cap space we'll have in 2015 and found the right coach maybe it's doable.

Default Facts Only

Just thought I'd point this out. Did a little trip down memory lane here:

Carmelo Anthony played on a 54 win team with 8 players who are no longer on NBA teams now (Barron, Camby, Jones, Richardson, Kidd, Wallace, Thomas, White) and 3 players who play 10 minutes or less on their new teams (Novak, Brewer, Copeland). So yea...how doesn't he make players better?

Krust Kingz

Default Re: Facts Only

Carmelo Anthony played on a 54 win team with 8 players who are no longer on NBA teams now (Barron, Camby, Jones, Richardson, Kidd, Wallace, Thomas, White) and 3 players who play 10 minutes or less on their new teams (Novak, Brewer, Copeland). So yea...how doesn't he make players better?
    None of those players were major role players besides copeland. And Copeland went to a talented team...

Not like he upped there value and they fell off in another place

Decent college freshman MellowYellow's Avatar

Only 2 guys that are definitely better than Melo, everyone else is debatable. If you only consider Durant and Lebron max players then I guess Melo isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    None of those players were major role players besides copeland. And Copeland went to a talented team...

Not like he upped there value and they fell off in another place
    All but maybe one of those players started for us. Jason Kidd was our starting SG. And regardless, the fact still remains. You can't up the value of people who shouldn't have been in the league anyway. Prigioni, Copeland, Novak, some would even say JR all cashed in because of last season.

Only 2 guys that are definitely better than Melo, everyone else is debatable. If you only consider Durant and Lebron max players then I guess Melo isn't one.
    I agree with this. To take it a step further, not even LeBron or Durant would make this team a contender. It's a roster and coaching staff that was just thrown together without any rhyme or reason.
    Last edited by franchize; 01-19-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by MellowYellow
    Knickcity already listed quite a few players already. Still no one has said what qualifies him as a max player, what he brings to the table.

they were actually brought in to make melo better