Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Biased Troll

Default Why keeping Eric Bledsoe made this trade GREAT for the Clippers

First of all, I was one of the people saying that giving up Gordon AND Minny #1 was too much for Paul, and it should only be one or the other, plus the rest of the assets. But this was assuming Bledsoe would be included as one of those other assets.

We heard a couple days ago that Bledsoe was actually the hang up for the Clippers on the initial deal. What's the big deal about about Bledsoe, you akxs? Here's the deal:

The Clippers would not be able to afford Paul and Gordon anyway. DJ now makes 11m/yr. Caron Butler is signed for 8m/yr. Paul makes 17m next year. Blake will be a 30% max player. Those four alone (once Griffin is extended) would account for roughly 50 million dollars in cap space. Tack on Mo Williams' contract? 58 million. The rest of the filler combined will probably bring it up to 65 million.

Eric Gordon is due for a big contract. He's not takin half his market value to stay with the Clips, even with Paul there. So he's gone anyway if you bring in Paul. The tax starts lower and gets stiffer after this season I believe, and you'd have big-spending owners who wouldnt be willing to pay 70+ for even this team. The Donald is definitely doing no such thing. As it is, Mo Williams is not long for this team.

What does Bledsoe do? It allows the Clippers to pay Paul the max, Blake the max, Jordan 11m, Butler 8m, and still have a GOOD rotation guard on a cheap contract. As a sixth man combo guard, Blesoe has serious potential to be effective. His game isn't too unlike Gordon's, in fact. Bledsoe plays better off the ball than with it anyway, he'll make a great compliment to Paul. So basically, he can do 3/4 of Gordon's job, for about 1/8 the pricetag.

Paul < Gordon, Bledsoe, Minny pick
    Paul + Bledsoe > Gordon + Minny pick.

It's just math. They're not keeping and paying a team stacked full of expensive talent. That's an unavoidable fact. Bledsoe gives them a talented guy on a cheap deal which allows them to pay the other guys. Keeping Gordon and Paul with Blake, DJ, and Caron wasn't happen4ing. This gets you Paul and a jr. version of Gordon basically. That's what makes it a good trade for the Clippers. Kaman and Aminu don't matter.
    Last edited by FourthTenor; 12-14-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Default Re: Why keeping Eric Bledsoe made this trade GREAT for the Clippers

Mmmmmmmm ok. Thanks for the +1.

Optimistic way of looking at things, I like it!

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by JGXEN
    Mmmmmmmm ok. Thanks for the +1.
    I bet you look like your avatar in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor
    I bet you look like your avatar in real life.

Biased Troll

Of course, if they would've held off on signing Caron Buter - which I didn't like to begin with (bc of the contract numbers) - then holding on to Gordon instead of Bledsoe might have been feasible.

But as it is, with the two excessive contracts already given out DJ and Butler, the Clippers had to choose two of the three between Paul, Blake, and Gordon.

I give props to Olshey for how he's handling this. People are underrating the tight-fistedness of Donald Sterling. He'll spend a little more on a team that's got Griffin and Paul on it, but he's still not gonna throw the balance sheet out entirely the way other owners probably would. I guarantee Olshey is operating under stricter financial parameters than most of us think. By getting Billups they can now move Mo, move Gordon, and basically pay Paul 17 million, Billups 2 million, and Bledsoe 3 million, Foye 4 million. Thus he keeps his notoriously frugal boss, Donald Tokowitz, appeased while still fielding the best guard rotation in the league!

That's pretty deft. I give the dude some props.
    Last edited by FourthTenor; 12-14-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Biased Troll

Now what they really need to get is a Kurt Thomas/Marcus Camby type veteran guy to protect the paint when DJ is catchin a breather or in foul trouble. They've got a decent stretch 4 in the rotation in Cookie, they just gotta add a defensive-minded veteran hustle player to complete the main rotation. Wish we coulda nabbed Turiaf from the Knicks or KT before he went to the Blazers. But alas, we couldnt make moves until we knew Kaman was definitely gone.

Who is left out there that could fit the bill?

I like your logic but Bledsoe doesnt have the size to be a combo guard in this league. He is strictly PG sized.

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

This actually makes sense, the Clipps are built like a superior college team right now with a super athletic center, a deadly pick and roll combo and a slasher wing. Bledsoe also played off ball to John Wall at Kentucky so hes actually used to it.

So you admit minny 1st pick unprotected and eric gordon was too much to give up. But not that much considering Eric Bledsoe wasnt included?

What is this damage control? What is this let me hide my true feelings?

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    I like your logic but Bledsoe doesnt have the size to be a combo guard in this league. He is strictly PG sized.

Au contraire, mon frere....

Bledsoe is built like a tank, just the way Gordon is. He also has a wingspan longer than most other NBA players his height. He was actually one of the best rebounders at the guard position last year (whereas Gordon is near last) and he can definitely check most 2s. He also was near the top in blocks among pg's, and good with steals as well. He's strong, has good length, and crazy hops.

Sure, a tall SG who also has great post-up skills, like Kobe, would give him trouble, but really how many of those are there in the league? He can easily match up on a nightly basis with the likes of Landry Fields, DeMar DeRozan, Jason Richardson, JR Smiff, OJ Mayo and basically most starting caliber two guards.

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    So you admit minny 1st pick unprotected and eric gordon was too much to give up. But not that much considering Eric Bledsoe wasnt included?

What is this damage control? What is this let me hide my true feelings?

Huh?

What????

What are you even talking about gobb. I literally don't actually understand what you're saying or implying or attempting to get across.

Didn't your mother teach you? "If you don't have something relevant to say... you probably watch the 6ers"

Go be 100% jelly JELL in someone elses thread!

Go on! Gitt!

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Unless he has the skillset of Iverson there is no way he flirts with being a 2 guard

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Unless he has the skillset of Iverson there is no way he flirts with being a 2 guard
    Keeping Eric Bledsone while giving up Minny 1st rd pick in 2012 AND Eric JORDAN was a win for LA. What dont you understand mang?

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor
    Au contraire, mon frere....

Bledsoe is built like a tank, just the way Gordon is. He also has a wingspan longer than most other NBA players his height. He was actually one of the best rebounders at the guard position last year (whereas Gordon is near last) and he can definitely check most 2s. He also was near the top in blocks among pg's, and good with steals as well. He's strong, has good length, and crazy hops.

Sure, a tall SG who also has great post-up skills, like Kobe, would give him trouble, but really how many of those are there in the league? He can easily match up on a nightly basis with the likes of Landry Fields, DeMar DeRozan, Jason Richardson, JR Smiff, OJ Mayo and basically most starting caliber two guards.
    maybe the league is going that way into a small 2guard trend but still bledsoe would be better off developed as a PG rather than a SG. his playmaking ability is a lot better than his shooting ability right now.