Pacers - Granger
    Sixers - Bynum
    Magic - no howard
    Hawks - no joe jhonson
    cleveland - irving

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Breaking News: Kyrie Irving out 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    RBA, great as Irving is, you can't deny that he seems fairly fragile, franchise playing it safe or not. I get playing it safe, but missed what, like 25 games in his year at Duke? 15 games last year. A dozen or so this year now at least. This has to be a legitimate concern.
    I don't really think so, no. It isn't just about number of games missed. It is about the injuries which were sustained and the reasons the player was held out.

At Duke - Probably the most significant injury of his career, which isn't saying much. It was essentially mild turf toe. I believe it later came out that he was advised not to come back until the tournament as to not impact his draft stock, since he was already considered the consensus No. 1 pick.

Last year - Missed a few games due to a concussion and a couple more from the flu. Then, he hurt his shoulder toward the end of the season when the franchise was pretty clearly in "let's try out some D-Leaguers to see if we can find some gems and try to get Anthony Davis" mode. There isn't a doubt in my mind he would have come back sooner if he would have been needed. Same goes for Varejao, who was held out for the entire year with an injury that probably should have only been 4-6 weeks or so.

I think management and doctors thought, "We've seen how good Kyrie is, he's played 50+ games in this ridiculously condensed season... let's put him to bed for the year."

He did come back toward the end of the season, but barely played any minutes when he did. The strategy was pretty obvious.

This year - Has had a couple of minor hand injuries. The first one meant missing meaningless Summer League. He was completely ready for training camp.

Now this one, I gave my thoughts above. I think management and doctors are being extra-cautious. I sort of even doubt he'll be out a full four weeks. Docs said he'll be re-evaluated after two weeks. I wouldn't be shocked if it was more like a 2-3 week injury.

So, he had:

*mild turf toe with no recurrence
    *concussion with no recurrence
    *mild shoulder injury with no recurrence
    *a couple of finger injuries and we'll see how he recovers

To me, that doesn't equate to injury prone. That equates to playing for an extremely cautious franchise still in the infancy of a re-build and protecting its franchise player at all costs. His first serious injury will be the day I begin to worry. This isn't it.

My two cents.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 11-20-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

RIP my fantasy team

it really hit me when i woke up this morning

donald sloan, dion waiters& boobie gibson now comprise our pg rotation

edit: tristan hurt his face in some way, he'll have to play with a mask, so we will have two big men wearing masks.

should be fun

i dont think you can accuse irving of being injury prone, but maybe a little soft
    Last edited by chips93; 11-20-2012 at 07:31 AM.

The cavs are expert tankers

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    Kyrie has been pretty injury proned in his basketball career thus far. From Duke on to the pros now...

Yep, not a good sign at all. Cavs are really going to suck these next 4 weeks.

He shouldn't be out at all. I still played basketball with two broken fingers.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Which player in this draft would best fit in for the Cavs?

just read this pretty staggering stat about irvings impact on the cavs offense

When he's on the court the Cavs are scoring 108.3 points per 100 possessions, per baskteball-reference, and when Irving is on the bench, the Cavs generate just 81.6 points per 100 possessions. Irving is basically the whole show for Cleveland and now it's on hiatus.
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/11/...land-cavaliers

this could get ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    Well then suit up son. The Cavs need ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    How? When I broke a finger, I couldn't play for almost 2 months and I was wearing cast for like month and a half. Broke it pretty bad tho...

Decent college freshman

the guy has a fragile build like steph curry, they both gonna have an injury plagued career imo

Quote Originally Posted by jamal99
    How? When I broke a finger, I couldn't play for almost 2 months and I was wearing cast for like month and a half. Broke it pretty bad tho...

Actually my fingers were broken and dislocated.

After the doctors numbed it and put it back in place, I used sports tape(on top of the finger cast) and wrapped the two fingers together. So my index finger, thumb, and pinky finger were used to shoot the ball.

Breaking fingers don't even hurt. Didn't Kobe play with broken fingers?
    Last edited by Dictator; 11-20-2012 at 08:16 PM.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    the guy has a fragile build like steph curry, they both gonna have an injury plagued career imo
    He's actually built nothing like Steph Curry. And, I fail to see how his "build" contributed to a fractured index finger. Or his hand injury in the offseason. Or his toe injury at Duke.

If anything, it seems he has trouble with the small appendages.

Banned

I've seen players play with much worse injuries and the same injury as his but it make sense the season was lost from the beginning and they need 1 more solid lottery pick to start it up. He might also not react to pains from injury well either but we'll see. Also get that kid some milk or whatever cavs last superstar was drinking lol
    Last edited by Pacers4ever; 11-20-2012 at 08:16 PM.