Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Are people blind?

Today's game is based on open shots... How is it current basketball fans can't acknowledge this?

That's how the Spurs won this year, is it not?... Today's spacing allows teams to move the ball to get open shots.

It always amazes me that people don't seem to be capable of noticing how much more contested the shots were in previous eras compared to today's spacing era.

And how is shooting a higher proportion of open shots not going to be an easy adjustment for players in previous eras, when they had the skill necessary to take contested shots as a standard?

Last edited by 3ball; 09-10-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Default Re: Are people blind?

Any game in professional leagues are based on the psychology level of the team, imho.

Willingness to sacrifice for each other transfers to playing good defense and not being selfish, AND being selfish at right moments.

Local High School Star Dr Seuss's Avatar

way to simplify it.

how does a team get open shots, ball movement. so you can just as easily say games are based and won through ball movement. my point being that good, smart basketball is what wins game and will continue to do so.

Individual superstardom will get you W's but its going to be hard to base a team strictly around that

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Seuss

Individual superstardom will get you W's but its going to be hard to base a team strictly around that
    The superstardom style of play you allude to, where you are taking your man and scoring ON defender(s) as a standard, is harder than today's open shots obtained through ball movement.

So the adjustment for players in previous eras that are accustomed to scoring ON a defender, to a brand of basketball that gets them more open shots, cannot be harder than the adjustment today's players would have of going from open shots to contested ones.
    Last edited by 3ball; 09-10-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Yeah lets get rid of the 3 point line and force defenders to play man D.

Basketball would be soooooo much better.

Love it

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Yeah lets get rid of the 3 point line and force defenders to play man D.

Basketball would be soooooo much better.

Love it
    You guys misinterpret my posts as something else..

The point of my posts are that we need to be more logical in comparing players over different eras.

It's obvious to anyone not blind that today's game is about open shots (that's how the Spurs won the championship), while players in previous eras had to take more contested shots.

So for players in previous eras that were accustomed to scoring ON a defender, the adjustment to today's brand of basketball that gets them more open shots, cannot be harder than the adjustment today's players would have of going from open shots to more contested ones.

Now where did I say I wanted to go back to before the 3-point line???... that is you misinterpreting my posts - all i'm saying is the bolded above...

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    You guys misinterpret my posts as something else..

The point of my posts are that we need to be more logical in comparing players over different eras.

It's obvious to anyone not blind that today's game is about open shots (that's how the Spurs won the championship), while players in previous eras had to take more contested shots.

So for players in previous eras that were accustomed to scoring ON a defender, the adjustment to today's brand of basketball that gets them more open shots cannot be harder than the adjustment today's players would have of going from open shots to more contested ones.

Now where did I say I wanted to go back to before the 3-point line???... that is you misinterpreting my posts - all i'm saying is the bolded above..
    Basketball is about open shots.

It's just a little harder to win going 1-on-1 in todays game, and that's ok. I think most people who really enjoy basketball enjoy team basketball.

You are correct though. Lots of guys are only in the league today to shoot 3's and bust their ass on D. Those guys have existed as long as the 3 point line has existed. You are right though, we look for those guys and value prospects who have those traits. Guys like that would be less valuable before the 3 point line, and less valuable before they removed illegal D.

It's just like how lumbering, post-up bigs are less valued today. Marginal-level guys who's major skill is post-up scoring are not making it in the league today, like a guy who could only shoot open shots would have had trouble in different basketball-climates. The balance of effectiveness changes over the years as rule changes go into effect and coaches build off the coaching theory of their predecessors.

It's ugly ass B.Walton

You do realize that getting open shots like the Spurs do is an artform in itself right? Your point is moot. Superstars still attract as much coverage on their field goal attempts as superstars from yesteryear, if not more. Role players still get disrespected and shoot a ton of open shots.

Plus, people have been saying "the mid-range is a lost art" since the early 00s when tough, contested shots in congestion were at their most common because of the level of defense at the time.

You're acting as if every made basket back in the days was a contested 17-footer. The Spurs won with open shots and ball movement without a single great shot creator. However, they had 3 slashing threats in TP/Manu/Leonard, enough post skill on offense for it to be an effective part of their gameplan in Duncan and Diaw and a willing mid-range shooter in Parker. And of course a bevy of what else, three point shooting.

You know other teams that won with a lot of ball movement? Open shots and shit? Showtime Lakers. 11 Mavs who won with Dirk powering their incredible display of shooting the basketball...Walton's Blazers won a title the ball-movement, open-shot happy way...Russell's Celtics tried to get up as many clean looks as the 48 min timer allowed..and they won 11 titles. In essence, you need to stop with this agenda stuff.

You're clearly a knowledgable poster and I think you do have a firm grasp of how NBA basketball works. But you try to tilt what you see so that it fits your perception of the old times and especially MJ's era (lol expansion) being better

Today's game is based on open shots... How is it current basketball fans can't acknowledge this?

You are correct. I haven't seen a contested shot since '99.

Why do you continue making the same topics over and over? We get it. Today's game sucks. Anything else you have to offer?

That's how the Spurs won this year, is it not?... Today's spacing allows teams to move the ball to get open shots.

It always amazes me that people don't seem to be capable of noticing how much more contested the shots were in previous eras compared to today's spacing era.

And how is shooting a higher proportion of open shots not going to be an easy adjustment for players in previous eras, when they had the skill necessary to take contested shots as a standard?

This year, the Spurs actually shot better on contested jumpers than open ones in the Finals. From stats.nba.com:

contested: 111/204 (.544); uncontested: 80/158 (.509)

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    This year, the Spurs actually shot better on contested jumpers than open ones in the Finals. From stats.nba.com:

Nah you're lying. I haven't seen anyone make a contested jumper since 1999

Today's players can't make contested jumpers. And every single position is devoid of talent compared to the 90s. Don't you know ANYTHING fpliii?

lol

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    But you try to tilt what you see so that it fits your perception of the old times and especially MJ's era (lol expansion) being better
    That's his sole purpose for being on ISH.