Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Luol Deng responds to Hawks' "African" comments.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,5805179.story

[QUOTE]Miami Heat forward Luol Deng released the following statement Tuesday:

"HE HAS A LITTLE AFRICAN IN HIM"

"These words were recently used to describe me. It would ordinarily make any African parent proud to hear their child recognized for their heritage.

"I'm proud to say I actually have a lot of African in me, not just "a little". For my entire life, my identity has been a source of pride and strength. Among my family and friends, in my country of South Sudan and across the broader continent of Africa, I can think of no greater privilege than to do what I love for a living while also representing my heritage on the highest stage. Unfortunately, the comment about my heritage was not made with the same respect and appreciation.

"Concerning my free agency, the focus should purely have been on my professionalism and my ability as an athlete. Every person should have the right to be treated with respect and evaluated as an individual, rather than be reduced to a stereotype. I am saddened and disappointed that this way of thinking still exists today. I am even more disturbed that it was shared so freely in a business setting.

"However, there is comfort in knowing that there are people who aren't comfortable with it and have the courage to speak up. In the same way a generalization should not define a group of people, the attitude of a few should not define a whole organization or league.

"Ultimately, I

Default Re: Luol Deng responds to Hawks' "African" comments.

Deng set to hit a game-winning jumper to eliminate the Cavs from the playoffs.

He should tape a picture of Ferry to his locker and stare at it before every game for motivation.

Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

My instinct is to be pissed off that our whole society is getting so worked over name calling and naughty language, But I guess it's a good sign that we don't have any serious problems to worry about so we can spend our lives fretting about peoples feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy
    My instinct is to be pissed off that our whole society is getting so worked over name calling and naughty language, But I guess it's a good sign that we don't have any serious problems to worry about so we can spend our lives fretting about peoples feelings.

Let's say Ferry doesn't leave or get fired. Do you honestly think people would want to play for him?

This, like Sterling, like Ray Rice is about business, perception, and bad PR.

Everything comes down to $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by MostHated305
    Let's say Ferry doesn't leave or get fired. Do you honestly think people would want to play for him?

Goran Dragic has a little Euro in him. He's shifty and tricky.

^I hope I have offended everyone

Banned

steve nash has a little african in him

and?

africa = a place... not a race of people

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

I caught exactly zero racist vibes from Ferry's comments and I'm generally sensitive about that kind of stuff. This is yet another media manufactured controversy to whip up the masses into a frenzy over something that really doesn't warrant it.

I'm really starting to despise the 24-hour news cycle that needs a constant flow of these kinds of stories so everyone can get on their holier than thou high horse and pretend Danny Ferry is a racist.

That means you're just going to let the media dictate how sports are governed.

They know now that they can take any minuscule controversy and blow it out of proportion for ratings and page clicks. If the league just ignored the offended-hype, eventually stuff like this would stop being news.

I mean, this dude preemptively quit rather than deal with the incoming media shitstorm that accompanies any mildly distasteful thing said by a white man....IN PRIVATE!
    Somebody tap Isiah Thomas' phone and we'll see how long it takes for him to say something about crackers.

Good High School Starter dreamwarrior's Avatar

Danny Ferry was only repeating what he was reading in a scouting report. I liked Ferry as a player. Always wanted him to succeed. But he sucked in Cleveland and he's sucked even worse in Atlanta. He just doesn't belong in the league at any position. The guy should be coaching a high school team or something. But he's getting called out for simply not being offended by the scouting report and that is just ridiculous. What about all the people who heard/read the report and didn't say anything for months? Should they all be fired too because they weren't offended by it?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I caught exactly zero racist vibes from Ferry's comments and I'm generally sensitive about that kind of stuff. This is yet another media manufactured controversy to whip up the masses into a frenzy over something that really doesn't warrant it.

I'm really starting to despise the 24-hour news cycle that needs a constant flow of these kinds of stories so everyone can get on their holier than thou high horse and pretend Danny Ferry is a racist.

exactly, I wonder how much he paid his publicist to right this.

That Duke education at work

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Glad you're waking up to this.

Just like Ferguson and Trayvon Martin are manufactured stories just to stir up society for profit.

Very good NBA starter

I'm 100% sure you haven't read the whole quote.