Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: What makes Kobe Bryant better than Kevin Garnett

Quote Originally Posted by ballerz
    Would of been good to see KG on a decent team in his prime
    this

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Not sure what the opinions of those players are worth if they don't give Carmelo (by far the best shot maker with the game on the line the last 8 years in the NBA) 1 single vote.

LOL at Durant over Dirk as well.

Not sure how serious we can take a poll that ignores the best game winning shot maker of the era by a wide margin.

Of course Kobe is clutch, but not even close to the extent he gets credit for. And what happened against the Mavs?
    Terrible play in crunch time and he missed yet another playoff game winner. Now 7 of 25 on one metric and 6 of 23 on another metric for his career in the playoffs on game winning shots.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    I buy what you're selling. Had KG played on a different, more successful team, then yeah, he might have ranked above Kobe/Duncan/Shaq. But hey, that didn't happen.

I should also point out that Kevin's had flaws that Duncan and Kobe have proven not to have, mainly being go to scorers and being clutch.
    Doesn't that suggest a flaw in the way we rank players? We rank them based on their situation rather than how good they actually are?

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jack
    Doesn't that suggest a flaw in the way we rank players? We rank them based on their situation rather than how good they actually are?
    Yes.

Its a huge flaw. However, there is just no way we can rank KG over Kobe. Kobe HAS accomplished so much and we just simply don't know what KG could have done.

Which is a shame.

However, we need to stop putting so much emphasis on rings. We need to factor in more how these players played on how their teams performed based on circumstances and expectations.

It makes ranking players a lot harder, but it will lead to more sound rankings. And we also need to use stats more. Not pointless accolades like all-star selections, all-nba, and all-defense.

Kobe just tied KG/Jordan/Payton with the most first team all defense selections ever. Kobe does not belong in that group whatsoever. Its pathetic.

But thats what sucks when all time greats waste their primes on shit franchises. We have to play the "what if" game. And we simply don't know what KG would have done. We do know that Kobe has helped his teams win 5 titles and put up some of the most impressive games/numbers of all time.

So the edge goes to Kobe. Fair or not.....

Magic Johnson

Yes, it does. But it has to factor in somewhat, doesn't it?

It's one of many reasons I've warmed up to the idea of James, Wade, and Bosh teaming up in Miami. We'll know whether they were capable of winning a championship given the right pieces. Thankfully, we won't look back at their careers and say, "Damn, those are potentially top 15 players had they played on the right teams."

Note, I think LeBron's good enough to be top 15 regardless of whether he wins a championship or not.

It's one of many reasons I've warmed up to the idea of James, Wade, and Bosh teaming up in Miami. We'll know whether they were capable of winning a championship given the right pieces. Thankfully, we won't look back at their careers and say, "Damn, those are potentially top 15 players had they played on the right teams."

Note, I think LeBron's good enough to be top 15 regardless of whether he wins a championship or not.
    Great post.

There is nothing worse than having to play the "what if" game with great players.

That is why its impossible to rank KG over Kobe. We know Kobe accomplished great things with great teams. We think KG would have and saw some evidence, but not enough because his prime was wasted.

Now there is no excuse for Lebron and Wade. They either win multiple titles together and solidify their place in history, or they go the path of stockton and malone so to speak.

I love it. We don't have to wonder "what if"......

I'm not saying there's a way to fix it, because rankings should be based on something concrete, rather than speculation.

What's even more annoying is people using these career rankings, and its respective criteria, to suggest one player is CURRENTLY better than another. Doesn't make sense either but that's the way it goes I guess.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Great post.

There is nothing worse than having to play the "what if" game with great players.

That is why its impossible to rank KG over Kobe. We know Kobe accomplished great things with great teams. We think KG would have and saw some evidence, but not enough because his prime was wasted.

Now there is no excuse for Lebron and Wade. They either win multiple titles together and solidify their place in history, or they go the path of stockton and malone so to speak.

I love it. We don't have to wonder "what if"......
    Over the past few years I've begun to think Garnett would have been ranked higher than Kobe, Duncan, AND Shaq had he played on a championship caliber team for more than a year in Minny. He impacts the game in so many ways, despite clearly being out of his prime. I'd put him up there with only Bird and Jordan as far as intangibles go.

Magic Johnson

I'm not saying there's a way to fix it, because rankings should be based on something concrete, rather than speculation.

What's even more annoying is people using these career rankings, and its respective criteria, to suggest one player is CURRENTLY better than another. Doesn't make sense either but that's the way it goes I guess.
    There should definitely be a clear line between better player and better career. There isn't, though; at least not on here.

Over the past few years I've begun to think Garnett would have been ranked higher than Kobe, Duncan, AND Shaq had he played on a championship caliber team for more than a year in Minny. He impacts the game in so many ways, despite clearly being out of his prime. I'd put him up there with only Bird and Jordan as far as intangibles go.
    Its really a shame. I think the range for KG could have been huge. By that, I mean that KG might have been considered a top 5 player of all time in perfect circumstances.............but is now generally regarded in that 15 to 20 range. Which is still great of course because his level of play and impact was so great.

We'll just never know. Its a travesty too. The guy was just so versatile and was truly the epitome of a team player. Even at age 35 he's still arguably the best overall defensive player in the league.

I just really wonder what a guy like KG could have accomplished if he played with a quality squad and another elite player like pierce his entire prime.

Would have been crazy to watch.

Banned

People get the notion that KG isn't clutch. He is. Sometimes he doesn't show it on the offensive side, but he is one of the greatest clutch players on the defensive side to ever play the game.

Oh and Kobe only has better career achievements and scoring (due to hoisting up more shots) than Garnett. Garnett is far and away, a better player.

Well ranking a player, luck does come to play. It's not your fault when you got a shit team around you all the time.
    It's just based on their surrondings, the situation they are in. Had Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett switched places, we would be thinking the opposite of each player today. Had KG came to the Lakers, yeah we would see him different too. But these what if games are just stupid.

But right now, Kobe has a better career resume, like it or not.

If Kevin Garnett has 3 rings, 1 regular MVP and 3 Finals MVP however, I might rank him above Kobe, maybe even Tim depending on the situation.

Dunking on everybody in the park

a prime Kevin Garnett has at least as much impact on the court as a prime Kobe Bryant.

People are blinded because Kobe Bryant is a Laker and has more rings (rings argument = end of debate for stupid people)

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Killbot
    People get the notion that KG isn't clutch. He is. Sometimes he doesn't show it on the offensive side, but he is one of the greatest clutch players on the defensive side to ever play the game.

Oh and Kobe only has better career achievements and scoring (due to hoisting up more shots) than Garnett. Garnett is far and away, a better player.

Good High School Starter

in 20 years no one will give a shit about garnett, but kobes name will forever be relevant. Joining the super exclusive club that includes wilt, russel,dr.j, bird, magic, jordan, shaq.