Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Arrow What does clutch mean to you?

I am one of the few that consider clutch being far more than making or missing a shot. Clutch to me is doing the correct thing in pressure situations. Getting a steal, rebound, block, assist etc etc are all clutch if done in crunch time. I even go so far as to not harping on a make or a miss to not matter too much. I think it's not clutch to take a fadeaway jumper over 2 or 3 defenders when you have open teammates in position to hit a wide open shot that you know they can make.

Help this old fart understand what you guys consider clutch.

Default Re: What does clutch mean to you?

Clutch to me is making the best play possible on the biggest stage, under the brightest lights, whether it be making the game-winner or hitting your open PF who's a great midrange shooter to hit the game winner.

Clutch is making tough shots down the stretch that lead to your teams victory

You can't be clutch in a loss

You can't choke in a win

There is no such thing as a "clutch pass", that's something made up by LeBron fans, LeBron isn't clutch when he passes. The guy who he passes too and makes the shot is clutch

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Simply taking over when the game is on the line, both offensively and defensively.

I remember Wade has one play against the Bulls where Heat was down 2 and Wade got the steal and hit a game winning 3. That was the definition of clutch.

Banned

The Beard

Stepping up when everyone expects you to, when everyone is looking at you, by making the right play(s). Clutch plays aren't just made late in the 4th or OT. LeBron's game 6 in Boston for instance was insanely clutch. Not just the media, not just the fans, but the whole country was watching him.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Being clutch is about making the right play, whether it's a shot or a pass.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

This thread should prove that clutch isn't even a thing. If something doesn't have a definition, it can't be measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Demitri98
    Clutch to me is making the best play possible on the biggest stage, under the brightest lights, whether it be making the game-winner or hitting your open PF who's a great midrange shooter to hit the game winner.
    Or your center closing out and contesting a wide open shot without fouling. Insanely clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    Clutch is making tough shots down the stretch that lead to your teams victory

You can't be clutch in a loss

You can't choke in a win

There is no such thing as a "clutch pass", that's something made up by LeBron fans, LeBron isn't clutch when he passes. The guy who he passes too and makes the shot is clutch
    If I go down and out my team up by one with 5 seconds left on the clock then that's clutch. If you go down and score and your team wins, my shot was still clutch.

A clutch pass is putting it right on the money. Those last second passes by Rondo in years past should show you. If he wasn't clutch, those passes wouldn't be as accurate. Follow me?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    Simply taking over when the game is on the line, both offensively and defensively.

I remember Wade has one play against the Bulls where Heat was down 2 and Wade got the steal and hit a game winning 3. That was the definition of clutch.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    Stepping up when everyone expects you to, when everyone is looking at you, by making the right play(s). Clutch plays aren't just made late in the 4th or OT. LeBron's game 6 in Boston for instance was insanely clutch. Not just the media, not just the fans, but the whole country was watching him.
    I totally agree. I feel games aren't won or lost in 1 quarter.

A better word than "clutch" is "anti-Kobe". It makes sure that when you are discussing things like this everyone is on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    This thread should prove that clutch isn't even a thing. If something doesn't have a definition, it can't be measured.
    Nah it's something that can't be measured. I don't consider a player more clutch or not as clutch than other players for the most part.

Clutch: the left pedal of a car with a manual transmission. ****ing clutch.

Anyway, passes, blocks, steals, rebounds, defense, can all be clutch. Anyone who thinks only scoring can be clutch is dumb and probably doesn't play basketball IRL.

Clutch steal is self-explanatory. See Tayshaun Prince for clutch block. See Bosh in game 6 for a godly clutch rebound and clutch block. There are clutch charges and saves too.

If you make a winning play in crunch time, that is clutch.