Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Default Re: Bioshock Infinite

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Well, I'm going to have more free time on my hands this summer than usual, so I may just buy both Bioshock games and play them.
    Again, I'm not sure if it's because I pre-ordered but my PS3 copy came with Infinite AND Bioshock on the same disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    Again, I'm not sure if it's because I pre-ordered but my PS3 copy came with Infinite AND Bioshock on the same disc.

I ordered a copy off Amazon that came with both Bioshock and Infinite. Should I play Bioshock first or does it really matter?

NBA Superstar

I ordered a copy off Amazon that came with both Bioshock and Infinite. Should I play Bioshock first or does it really matter?
    I played Infinite first and aside from an Easter Egg that harkens back to the original at one point (that I was able to appreciate anyway because it merely requires you be familiar with the primary gist of the first game), I don't think there's much to lose from playing Infinite first.

I just finished Bioshock 1 a few weeks ago. Your gaming interests sound very similar to my own (GTA and RDR are some of the select few non-sports games in my catalog) and as previously alluded, I'm not a big sci-fi guy. So with that in mind, I must tell you Bioshock 1 felt way more sci-fi than Infinite. The first one is darker, bleaker, colder, creepier, fuller of zombie-like opposition, all of that.

Real deal Bioshock fans likely would have a lot to say in a "Bio 1 vs. Infinite debate" but as someone like you, I must say I very much preferred Infinite. I'd probably recommend playing that one first if you're not big into all the sci-fi stuff. I preferred Infinite's story, setting, atmosphere, controls, gameplay... just about everything aside from the inability to upgrade weapons with neat things added on like what could be done in the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I played Infinite first and aside from an Easter Egg that harkens back to the original at one point (that I was able to appreciate anyway because it merely requires you be familiar with the primary gist of the first game), I don't think there's much to lose from playing Infinite first.

I just finished Bioshock 1 a few weeks ago. Your gaming interests sound very similar to my own (GTA and RDR are some of the select few non-sports games in my catalog) and as previously alluded, I'm not a big sci-fi guy. So with that in mind, I must tell you Bioshock 1 felt way more sci-fi than Infinite. The first one is darker, bleaker, colder, creepier, fuller of zombie-like opposition, all of that.

Real deal Bioshock fans likely would have a lot to say in a "Bio 1 vs. Infinite debate" but as someone like you, I must say I very much preferred Infinite. I'd probably recommend playing that one first if you're not big into all the sci-fi stuff. I preferred Infinite's story, setting, atmosphere, controls, gameplay... just about everything aside from the inability to upgrade weapons with neat things added on like what could be done in the original.
    Yeah, I remember doing some reading on the original Bioshock when I was thinking about buying Infinite, and it looked a lot different than the trailers I saw for Infinite. I'll probably give it a go eventually but may not ever fully take to it. Kind of how I was with the Undead DLC that came with my copy of RDR. I mean I enjoyed it, but never felt compelled to keep coming back to it after I played it, the way I did with the actual game.

Just briefly going through the early stages if Infinite, and I'm enjoying it. It's taking me a little bit to get the controls down; RDR was the same way and that eventually became second nature. But I've already been killed a few times trying to find the girl.

This can be for you or others that've played it, but do you use your guns more or the spells (or whatever they're called) more?

NBA Superstar

Yeah, I remember doing some reading on the original Bioshock when I was thinking about buying Infinite, and it looked a lot different than the trailers I saw for Infinite. I'll probably give it a go eventually but may not ever fully take to it. Kind of how I was with the Undead DLC that came with my copy of RDR. I mean I enjoyed it, but never felt compelled to keep coming back to it after I played it, the way I did with the actual game.

Just briefly going through the early stages if Infinite, and I'm enjoying it. It's taking me a little bit to get the controls down; RDR was the same way and that eventually became second nature. But I've already been killed a few times trying to find the girl.

This can be for you or others that've played it, but do you use your guns more or the spells (or whatever they're called) more?
    Funny, I played The Undead Nightmare once and never came back.

Anyway, in Infinite, I definitely used weapons way more than vigors my first time through. In fact, I think I was still using Goldeneye logic, because I rolled with a machine gun and rpg for nearly the entire game. I ended up going back and playing through it again using all the different weapons until I unlocked their achievements.

Also, the more you play, the easier it becomes to learn how to integrate vigors and combine them with one another (and with weapons).
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-23-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Funny, I played The Undead Nightmare once and never came back.

Anyway, in Infinite, I definitely used weapons way more than vigors my first time through. In fact, I think I was still using Goldeneye logics, because I rolled with a machine gun and rpg for nearly the game. I ended up going back and playing through it again using all the different weapons until I unlocked their achievements.

Also, the more you play, the easier it becomes to learn how to integrate vigors and combine them with one another (and with weapons).
    Thanks. And yeah, I think I played Undead Nightmare 2 or 3 different times, about 20-30 minutes each time; and probably a week or two in between. It just wasn't for me.

I played Infinite for about an hour this afternoon. I don't dislike it, and I was even semi-lukewarm about RDR and even GTA the first time I played them; but after I got going, I got pretty hooked. Since I didn't absolutely hate Infinite the first time, I'm sure I'll end up getting hooked.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I played Bioshock when it first came out and did another run through of it right after I beat Infinite and I think I enjoyed the Infinite experience more.

Things I liked more in Bioshock:
    - The plasmids were a better fit into the story and gameplay than the vigors were in BI. It made sense with everything that was happening in Rapture's society. The concept of vigors seemed a little shoehorned in.

- The Big Daddy encounters. There wasn't a single combat even in Infinite that was as good as these. Everything about it was awesome. The tension approaching them and them being so passive until you actually did something. Their relentless attack. The sad moment when you killed one with the little sister crying "Get up, Mr. Bubbles!". The closest thing you had to this in Infinite was Songbird and unfortunately, that was one part of the game that was totally underutilized.

Things I liked more in Infinite:
    - The story and characters. They were both much more personal and it worked better for me. While I liked the political angle and social commentary of Bioshock, nothing in that game got to me like the relationship of Booker and Elizabeth. It was even the little things like Elizabeth dancing in Battleship Bay after being freed. The reveals about them in the ending were perfect.

- The world of Columbia was more immersive than Rapture. Which says a lot about Infinite because Rapture was awesome. This might be a personal preference because the goal of Bioshock was to create a sense of isolation. I just thought that having the random people around naturally added to the atmosphere of the city, its social structure and history. The contrast between this city in the sunny sky decorated in bright colours with all the racism and oppression was effective.

- The overall combat was better and really, it should be given how many years separated the games. I liked the more open environments and the additional aspect the skyrails added.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    I played Bioshock when it first came out and did another run through of it right after I beat Infinite and I think I enjoyed the Infinite experience more.

Things I liked more in Bioshock:
    - The plasmids were a better fit into the story and gameplay than the vigors were in BI. It made sense with everything that was happening in Rapture's society. The concept of vigors seemed a little shoehorned in.

- The Big Daddy encounters. There wasn't a single combat even in Infinite that was as good as these. Everything about it was awesome. The tension approaching them and them being so passive until you actually did something. Their relentless attack. The sad moment when you killed one with the little sister crying "Get up, Mr. Bubbles!". The closest thing you had to this in Infinite was Songbird and unfortunately, that was one part of the game that was totally underutilized.

Things I liked more in Infinite:
    - The story and characters. They were both much more personal and it worked better for me. While I liked the political angle and social commentary of Bioshock, nothing in that game got to me like the relationship of Booker and Elizabeth. It was even the little things like Elizabeth dancing in Battleship Bay after being freed. The reveals about them in the ending were perfect.

- The world of Columbia was more immersive than Rapture. Which says a lot about Infinite because Rapture was awesome. This might be a personal preference because the goal of Bioshock was to create a sense of isolation. I just thought that having the random people around naturally added to the atmosphere of the city, its social structure and history. The contrast between this city in the sunny sky decorated in bright colours with all the racism and oppression was effective.

- The overall combat was better and really, it should be given how many years separated the games. I liked the more open environments and the additional aspect the skyrails added.
    Played for about another hour today. Thinking about going back and restarting, though, because my first go through yesterday (about an hour) I just kept running forward until I got stopped in a gun fight, or something else. Got too nervous, I guess, and thought more officers would come if I didn't keep going, so I never stopped to explore and look around. Found out today, though, that after I clear all the officers or whatever from a particular area, I can look around and find salts, silver eagles, etc.

I have gotten a lot more comfortable with mixing using my guns and vigors. You'd probably think I'm still pretty bad if you watched me, but I got through quite a few battles today with only getting killed one time. Maybe it's the bright and sunny atmosphere in an old-timey world, but the vigors do feel a bit out of place; even knowing the entire game is based in a land floating in the sky they still seem a bit off. I suck at using them correctly, too, so that may have something to do with it. I think I've successfully set a fireball trap once and a crow's nest trap once. Every other time I end up throwing them somewhere so far off target, they never come into play.

A few questions:

1.) The voxophones...how important are those? Because, in my haste of just running, shooting, and running some more the first portion of the game, I'm pretty sure I missed some of them. I mean they're pretty much just more story/background and not actually crucial to advancing in the game, right? I'm not going to miss something if I don't get them and and listen to them am I?

2.) Hours wise, how long did take you to beat the game? I've probably played about 2 hours total, and still haven't gotten to Elizabeth. I just got through the part where you get on Comstock's zeppelin, set it on fire and escaped, and called it quits at the gate to Monument Island. That's where Elizabeth is so two things: 1.) Does it still take a little while to find her and 2.) After I find her there's still more to the game, right?

I know I could find this stuff by just looking it up, but I'm afraid it'll consist of me reading through a walkthrough, and I don't want to that because it kind of ruins the element of surprise that's there the first time you go through a game.
    Last edited by KG215; 05-25-2013 at 03:33 AM.

if i order from amazon does it still come with the original bioshock???

Quote Originally Posted by talkingconch
    if i order from amazon does it still come with the original bioshock???
    I ordered my from Amazon and it came with Bioshock, but it's not an automatic thing. You have to look for the right one.

NBA Superstar

Played for about another hour today. Thinking about going back and restarting, though, because my first go through yesterday (about an hour) I just kept running forward until I got stopped in a gun fight, or something else. Got too nervous, I guess, and thought more officers would come if I didn't keep going, so I never stopped to explore and look around. Found out today, though, that after I clear all the officers or whatever from a particular area, I can look around and find salts, silver eagles, etc.

I have gotten a lot more comfortable with mixing using my guns and vigors. You'd probably think I'm still pretty bad if you watched me, but I got through quite a few battles today with only getting killed one time. Maybe it's the bright and sunny atmosphere in an old-timey world, but the vigors do feel a bit out of place; even knowing the entire game is based in a land floating in the sky they still seem a bit off. I suck at using them correctly, too, so that may have something to do with it. I think I've successfully set a fireball trap once and a crow's nest trap once. Every other time I end up throwing them somewhere so far off target, they never come into play.

A few questions:

1.) The voxophones...how important are those? Because, in my haste of just running, shooting, and running some more the first portion of the game, I'm pretty sure I missed some of them. I mean they're pretty much just more story/background and not actually crucial to advancing in the game, right? I'm not going to miss something if I don't get them and and listen to them am I?

2.) Hours wise, how long did take you to beat the game? I've probably played about 2 hours total, and still haven't gotten to Elizabeth. I just got through the part where you get on Comstock's zeppelin, set it on fire and escaped, and called it quits at the gate to Monument Island. That's where Elizabeth is so two things: 1.) Does it still take a little while to find her and 2.) After I find her there's still more to the game, right?

I know I could find this stuff by just looking it up, but I'm afraid it'll consist of me reading through a walkthrough, and I don't want to that because it kind of ruins the element of surprise that's there the first time you go through a game.
    I'll say one of the things I convinced myself to do upon starting Infinite was to let myself get lost in the world, so to speak. I think that's half the fun. I didn't want to try to get to the end as soon as possible, because I think that nullifies a lot of the things the game does so well. In fact, it took me a while just to walk to and through the lighthouse at the beginning. I figured if I was going to break down and give this game a shot, I might as well try to maximize the experience.

So I don't know if that means you should start over or anything, but I felt examining the environment, discovering things, and letting the game come to you really paid off with this title. It almost got to the point where, when the game finally jumps off at the fair, I was kind of disappointed to say goodbye to the established atmosphere. If nothing else, looking around your environment will lead to the aforementioned discovery of everything from money, health, weapons, and upgrades (the last of which can be quite beneficial). The enemies are not the "always-re-spawning" type so once the fight music wraps up, you're usually free to look about your area without much of an issue, though that doesn't mean you might not come across two unsuspecting soldiers in the bathroom from time to time.

The voxophones are pretty well done in the sense that they can truly enrich the story and fill in blanks, but you're not going to be at a complete loss if you miss some. The ones most integral to the storyline are pretty much placed directly in your path. Still, they almost all have something worthwhile to offer in terms of piecing together the story. I'd recommend looking for them. There's also a trophy/achievement for finding all of them.

Regarding the length of the game, I think it depends how you're playing it. If you're running from spot to spot, not searching or discovery anything, and just looking for gun action, it's still a pretty lengthy game. And if you actually proceed at a slower pace, basking in your surroundings and discovering all their fun little ins and outs, the time will obviously increase. If you're two hours into the game, you still have a lonnnnggg way to go. I mean that in the best sense though. There's still a lot of great stuff left.

If I had to guess, with combing my environment (I was worried about not having enough money for things so I was even searching trash cans), I have to think the game took me 25-30 glorious hours. I'm terrible at keeping track of that stuff though so maybe it was 20-25, or 15-20, ha.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-25-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

My playthrough took about 17-18 hours (going by my playtime on Steam). This was on the hard difficulty and I tried to explore as much as I could. It was a VERY thorough playthrough. I did miss a couple voxophones though.

Some of the later voxophones reveal some pretty big elements of the story. They're not essential to the gameplay in any way but the later ones especially you should try to get to understand the big picture.

Yeah, I played another couple of hours today and combed through every area very closely, getting everything I could find. Spent most of that time just searching the different rooms in the tower on my way to Elizabeth, and the part on the beaches where you have to catch back up to Elizabeth and find her again.

Got mildly boring, though, since after you find Elizabeth it's a lot of walking/running around and picking-up stuff like money, ammo, and stuff to refill my health and salts bars. The lead-up to Elizabeth in the tower was really interesting, even though there weren't any battles or anything. Searching the beaches, arcade, and promenade felt kind of monotonous, though.

NBA Superstar

Yeah, I played another couple of hours today and combed through every area very closely, getting everything I could find. Spent most of that time just searching the different rooms in the tower on my way to Elizabeth, and the part on the beaches where you have to catch back up to Elizabeth and find her again.

Got mildly boring, though, since after you find Elizabeth it's a lot of walking/running around and picking-up stuff like money, ammo, and stuff to refill my health and salts bars. The lead-up to Elizabeth in the tower was really interesting, even though there weren't any battles or anything. Searching the beaches, arcade, and promenade felt kind of monotonous, though.
    Yeah, maybe it's just a matter of finding a happy medium. Perhaps not necessarily blazing through everything, but then not coming to a crawl. I trust you've found your groove, yes?

Yeah, maybe it's just a matter of finding a happy medium. Perhaps not necessarily blazing through everything, but then not coming to a crawl. I trust you've found your groove, yes?
    Yeah, the last two days I've really immersed myself in the game. I was only able to play for about 2-3 hours total the couple of days before that, so I got a little behind. Sat down yesterday, though, and played 3 or 4 straight hours (without even realizing it) and did the same thing this afternoon. I just got to the part where you get to Comstock House, Elizabeth's fingerprints get rejected, and you have to find Lady Comstock's crypt. The pace has really picked up, which I like, but I'm also a little jumpier because I feel like I'm going to get shot at every time I turn a new corner.

Some of the recent battles were just brutal, even on normal setting (well, at least they were for someone like me who doesn't play these type of games very often). The one where there's like 2 or 3 Firemen and a Mechanized Patriot, along with all the Vox took me 2 or 3 tries. Then the one where you're in the elevator and on your way to Emporia, but it gets hit by something and stops....that one took me awhile. Think there was another Mechanized Patriot, a Fireman, and a Handyman. The tears really help but I get panicky sometimes and forget to open one that can help me like a Mosquito or turret.

I'm a sniper rifle person, and usually go with the repeater or carbine as my second gun. But I'm much more comfortable sitting back, finding my bearings, and picking off enemies from a distance. I really only mix in vigors if someone surprise attacks me from behind, but usually I try to get up on a balcony or rooftop if there's a freight-hook available, so it's usually not an issue.

The darker, Apocalyptic setting in Emporia isn't really my thing, but I'm so hooked on the game and getting to the end now, it doesn't really bother me. If the game had started off this way, I probably would've only come back to it a few more times before being completely done with it.