Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Default Re: Doc Rivers Talks about Ray leaving. Interesting stuff

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    You completely disregarding Allen doing job on Bryant all those times. He was a great defender, and that impact was dealt. I mean... What exactly are you implying? That he wasn't as good defender as he could due to poor dedication, or that on Celtics he didn't defend up to his abilities?? Or something else...??
    I am not disregarding anything. Ray was a good defender, but he wasn't what he could've been. He's got great foot speed and instincts, but he was never an elite defender. I don't I'm implying as much as I'm directly saying: Ray wasn't as a great as a defender as he could've been. He's not a liability on defense, but he wasn't a tremendous asset either. He could've been an All-Defense 1st teamer in my opinion.

I love Ray, but I'm just saying like it is.

Pelican Brief

I think the move was beneficial to both squads. Boston was able to find replacements for Ray. Miami got the best long range shooter of all time.

The only thing that gets me is the last press Boston put on for Ray. Just seemed like your ex is walking out of the door into the arms of your rival and you already have other women coming in and you start asking her to stay not that bad but still

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Does this make sense? Ray knows his role on Boston is not going to differ from his future role in Miami.

I think its just more about ray putting himself in a better position to win a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Losing Ray = gaining Lee. Win.
    Yup. Lee + Terry + Bradley (when he returns) >>>> old Ray Allen with ankle and attitude issues.

NBA rookie of the year

I like how Doc doesn't mention the agreed apon trade to Memphis, which is by all means the primary reason Ray Allen is a Heatle.

They phased him out, he tested free agency and sought out the best oppritunity for him and his family, that being Miami. That's all there is to it, really.

Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

Celtics loss is the Heat's gain.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Ray has always had this little streak to him. Never been a fan. Guy gets this rep for being such a great worker. Too bad he never worked on creating a handle or getting to the rim. He had the talent to be a more impactful player. But, guy just sat back taking pot shots at other players because of his short comings. It is arguable that Rondo is better than Ray Allen has ever been in his entire career.

Just no...

and ray in his bucks and sonics days had plenty of handle... As a sonics fan I can tell you that in his first full yr here he actually ran point for us the majority of the time...dude could handle and could score with the best of them

I love rondo but call me when rondo is able to be a franchise player for a decade and that can take a bunch of scrubs to the playoffs and 50 wins (seattle 05) and not have 3 hall of famers to help him

we'll see how rondo does then

NBA rookie of the year

:
    Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Ray has always had this little streak to him. Never been a fan. Guy gets this rep for being such a great worker. Too bad he never worked on creating a handle or getting to the rim. He had the talent to be a more impactful player. But, guy just sat back taking pot shots at other players because of his short comings. It is arguable that Rondo is better than Ray Allen has ever been in his entire career.

Almost sounds like Ray wasn't playing team ball. It was absolutely the right thing for Rondo to lead the team. This team was being told they were too old and they were 1 game away from the finals (that may have been a different out come had they been healthy). Oh well Boston fans, you lost him but you gained Jason Terry so, you won.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Losing Ray = gaining Lee. Win.
    I've seen Celtics fans saying this about every free agent shooting guard they've been linked to.

I know Ray's older, but he still scares me at the end of games as much as anyone. I'll take what he's proven over what Lee and Young promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston C's
    [/B]

Just no...

and ray in his bucks and sonics days had plenty of handle... As a sonics fan I can tell you that in his first full yr here he actually ran point for us the majority of the time...dude could handle and could score with the best of them

I love rondo but call me when rondo is able to be a franchise player for a decade and that can take a bunch of scrubs to the playoffs and 50 wins (seattle 05) and not have 3 hall of famers to help him

we'll see how rondo does then
    Ray Allen is as much of a franchise player as Melo is...you aren't winning anything with them as #1.

Saw a basketball once

Ray Allen used to penetrate way more before he got sort of a reduced roll in the Celtics.

Remember the basics of basketball, if your a good shooter then you can penetrate with ease with a fake.

And we all agree that Ray Allen is one hell of a good shooter (still).

Banned

The Celtics ended up getting Courtney Lee and Jason Terry for Ray Allen so everything turned out alright for the Celtics.

Ray really isn't as nice or classy of a guy that everyone thinks he is either.

Ray Allen was never a good defender by the way. He was just average or maybe above average on that end but nothing more than that. I expect his defense to be even worse though since he won't have KG protect him in the interior and make up his mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    You completely disregarding Allen doing job on Bryant all those times. He was a great defender, and that impact was dealt. I mean... What exactly are you implying? That he wasn't as good defender as he could due to poor dedication, or that on Celtics he didn't defend up to his abilities?? Or something else...??
    Maybe it is just me but I thought when Ray was guarding Kobe in the 2008 Finals, Kobe got whatever he wanted. It was Posey and Pierce that gave him a much tougher time than Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    I like how Doc doesn't mention the agreed apon trade to Memphis, which is by all means the primary reason Ray Allen is a Heatle.

They phased him out, he tested free agency and sought out the best oppritunity for him and his family, that being Miami. That's all there is to it, really.

Pierce was also been in a discussion of being traded to other team and yet we haven't heard any single word from him about it or any complaints coming from him.

If there's someone who has the right to act the way Ray did (If that is the true reason), it's Pierce.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by dbugz
    If there's someone who has the right to act the way Ray did (If that is the true reason), it's Pierce.
    No doubt. You could tell like 2 seasons ago Pierce had trouble delegating to Rondo, but eventually it smoothed itself out.

Ray is seeming more like a baby with every article coming out about this.

Doc made a really interesting point though, about how it's easier to change teams for a smaller role than to have it taken away from you. It's a weird pride thing.

Come on though, Lee + Terry > Ray