Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Marc Gasol vs Pau

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    marc did not have the luxury of playing alongside bryant. Kobe is the most underrated bballl player on this board bar none
    Or most overrated depending on which threads you read.

NBA All-star

During the 2 rings run the Kobe/Pau pick and roll really caused the opposing teams trouble. Which I don't think Marc could play that role as well as Pau.

I thought about giving Marc the edge on the rebounding category, but then I realized that Pau was a rebounding machine himself during his prime.

Overall, Pau IS the better player of the two.

I will say that because Marc has the size advantage down low, if he hasn't reached his prime, his prime would most likely be his consistency down low. Where Pau would utilize his different skills to counter different bigs, Marc could simply outbruise them, ala mini Shaq style.

I would say Marc is definelty more consistent in a sense that his play doesn't deviate too much from his Avg's BUT, ppl seem to forget Pau's been banged up + playing PF alongside Drew+Dwight and hasn't been in his comfort spot for last 5 years or so PLUS playing for shit coaches who didn't use him properly.

I fully expect Pau next year to resume to his 18-20/9-11/3 Form with KB back.

Good High School Starter AussieG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by COnDEMnED
    Pau was a more technical offensive player, Marc is more of a defensive bruiser. Both are great, Pau was better in his prime, Marc is currently better.
    Pau was good with the Lakers beside Kobe.. otherwise he sucked. I don't mean stats wise, because he was always good stats wise.

Pau had some strengths like finesse off the dribble.. shooting, post game etc.

But he has always had MASSIVE weaknesses.

Marc has very little weaknesses. Marc isn't as good as Pau was in terms of scoring, but is better in pretty much every other way.

Pau wilted in the playoffs with the Grizz. Never won a game. 0-12. And that's not even the thing.. the thing is that he didn't even PLAY WELL during those games. Maybe one or two of the games at home but 10 of those games he was hopeless.

Where as Marc hasn't ever had that problem. Marc has always been PHYSICAL and HARD.. and a good defender. Marc has always handled pressure well. Marc wasn't as good of a scoring option.. but he is ALMOST as good..

But has always had a very well rounded game. He isn't a number 1 or even number 2 option.. but still overall a much better player IMO. Especially when it comes to defense.. physical player and attitude.

It's not a fair comparison in some ways because Pau had J Will and the pressure of a franchise that had never had success. Marc has had Conley and a team that won their first playoff game. They got rid of that pressure VERY quickly. They won the first playoff game in SA and then went on to win the series.. and the pressure was gone. Then they almost beat OKC. Pau couldn't even win one single game.

What's Conley got to do it with? It's huge.. and I bet I'm the first one to mention it in this topic. Conley has been able to hang with and stay level with guards like Parker, Chris Paul and Westbrook and win games or series matched up against these guys. J Will would get murdered and destroyed by guards like this, and that'd make it harder for Pau.

They have played on different teams.. but I've never complained about Marc as a Grizzlies fan.. and Pau has always drawn criticism.. because he has always had massive weaknesses in his game. To simplify it.. Pau = girly and Marc = a man.

Would never have imagined that it could be like that back in 2004 or 2005.. but it happened all the same. Pau had a few good years with Kobe in LA.. where he patched up a lot of weakness but Marc has been consistently good with very little weaknesses the whole time.

And I should also mention.. that I already thought Marc was better than Pau.. before the Grizz had ever won a playoff game, just based off of how he would play. Once they started winning playoff games.. it sealed it. And now after the last season or two..

There is very little doubt. But we all have our opinions.
    Last edited by AussieG; 05-01-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Good High School Starter AussieG's Avatar

Both Marc Gasol and Conley are the sort of players that you look at them on paper and think they are average but then they get into the playoffs.. and not only win games but series. They win series even when they don't have homecourt advantage and even when they lose they put up a fight. The Spurs sweep last season was the only exception but the last 3 years or so has been a good run.

They are fundamental in the same way that Tim Duncan is fundamental.

Marc for Defense
    Pau for Offense

Dunking on everybody in the park

Marc is tougher but Pau at his peak is still the better player, you can't argue with 2 rings