Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar thoughts on Sterling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Accusing someone of 'hating' while also labelling them 'sad and pathetic and clinically depressed' - hypocrite much?

If i were suffering through clinical depression then you'd be hating pretty hard right now.

Dresta, you've been accused of being miserable by more than a number of people. i don't really care to follow your posts, but i don't think i've ever seen one single funny or happy post from you. seems like everything from you is on the bitter and angry side like you mad every single moment. it's like you wake up every morning with a fat stick up your ass and it stays there the whole day, 24/7. it must suck to live like that.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Freedom of Speech only refers to the government prosecuting him. Please tell me how any of that shit applies here? Your bosses can INDEED fire you for your words.

If employers could fire their employee's for comments made in their own home's, the courts would be filled with unfair dismissal lawsuits.

Freedom if speech doesn't just arise out of 1st amendment. Sixty years of case law in the supreme court, when individuals have fought gov't and institutions to preserve freedom of speech.

The constitution only says that freedom of speech must be not infringed by the gov't it doesn't say that gov't can't punish.
    Last edited by Sharmer; 05-01-2014 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fandarko
    If we disregard for a moment the whole race/racism issue conditionned by the prevalence of black players in the NBA and the marketing implications this whole affair has for the league and single out the mere fact a guy was taped by his girlfriend and ratted to the government (because here the media/NBA are clearly acting as a part thereof), there is no difference between it and people snitching other people (including their family members) for saying bad things about Stalin and Communism and reporting them to the secret police to be sent to a camp in Siberia for 20 years. This was 70-80 years ago.

Now, Sterling is not going to Siberia, but the nature of the whole thing reminds of the show trials in the USSR in the 30's, with Silver announced that he may not attend another NBA game in his life and the rest, with nobody daring to publicly say anything that would contradict the official narrative, etc.

Sterling might be a scumbag, but I somehow believe he's not the only one among the owners. Had he said what he said publicly, the repercussions would somehow seem more appropriate. This thing with his golddigging GF setting him up is incredible, it's as if people are forced into accepting subconsciously it's ok that one's private comments and thoughts are released in public, if they are deemed by the establishment to be politically incorrect.

What's the difference between the thought police in "1984" and this? There is none, the technology today makes it more easier to snitch on people and report them to the Party...

You make some very good points. Gov't and private business attacking freedom of speech is not a new concept.

Contrary to the ignorant, freedom of speech does not just arise out of constitution, but out of a number of supreme court rulings. The problem is main stream media does not cover any of the attacks on freedom of speech or major supreme court rulings.