Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Default Re: Larry Bird's top 10 greatest game winners...

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    He had them on his team.

Great video though.
    No, he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    No, he didn't.
    Birds' Celtics were stacked as ****. Don't get me wrong. He one of the best ever and was one of the main reasons why they won, but he had McHale, DJ, Parish, etc. Heck the '86 Celtics, a team which most consider to be one of the GOAT teams, had 2 players averaging 25 PPG, and 3 others averaging over 15 PPG in the Playoffs. Everybody has great teams. You need it to win a championship.

Birds' Celtics were stacked as ****. Don't get me wrong. He one of the best ever and was one of the main reasons why they won, but he had McHale, DJ, Parish, etc. Heck the '86 Celtics, a team which most consider to be one of the GOAT teams, had 2 players averaging 25 PPG, and 3 others averaging over 15 PPG in the Playoffs. Everybody has great teams. You need it to win a championship.
    You stated that he had the greatest players in the conference playing with him, which is incorrect.

Zeke
    Dr. J
    Barkley
    Wilkins
    Bernard King
    Jordan
    Moses Malone

One could easily argue all of those players are better than any teammate Bird ever had, and those were just the players in the East.

While Lebron had the 2nd best player in the conference, along with another top 5 player in the conference.

You stated that he had the greatest players in the conference playing with him, which is incorrect.

Zeke
    Dr. J
    Barkley
    Wilkins
    Bernard King
    Jordan
    Moses Malone

One could easily argue all of those players are better than any teammate Bird ever had, and those were just the players in the East.

While Lebron had the 2nd best player in the conference, along with another top 5 player in the conference.
    Not sure I'd take Dominique or Bernard King over Kevin McHale.

Zeke
    Dr. J
    Barkley
    Wilkins
    Bernard King
    Jordan
    Moses Malone

LeBron had an injured Wade for 3 years. Who else did he have? He didn't have the Jordan's and the Malone's of this era on his team. If he teamed up with Wade in '09 and played with him till '11, then you'd have a point.

Don't even try to say that Bosh is one of the greatest players in the EC. That would just make you look stupid.

LeBron had an injured Wade for 3 years. Who else did he have? He didn't have the Jordan's and the Malone's of this era on his team. If he teamed up with Wade in '09 and played with him till '11, then you'd have a point.

Don't even try to say that Bosh is one of the greatest players in the EC. That would just make you look stupid.
    Sad to say, but when he teamed up with Bron, he most certainly was a top 5 player in the conference. It says a lot about how weak the east is, but it also says a lot about how people like you underrate Bosh.

Just because Bosh was relegated to spot up shooting in the Bron offense, that doesn't mean he isn't a top tier player.

I guess we'll all see this season.

Sad to say, but when he teamed up with Bron, he most certainly was a top 5 player in the conference. It says a lot about how weak the east is, but it also says a lot about how people like you underrate Bosh.

Bosh was a top 5 player? A top 5 player takes his team to the Playoffs only twice in 7 years?

Just because Bosh was relegated to spot up shooting in the Bron offense, that doesn't mean he isn't a top tier player.
    Another idiotic statement. BOSH said that he hates playing in the post. He DOESN'T want to play in the post anymore. He was never a post player in Toronto either. Most of his points came off of jumpers. You would know this if you actually watched the games, instead of the box-score. He definitely takes more 3 pointers, but that's part of his development as he wants to be a stretch 4/5 instead of playing in the paint. Since you love stats,

Shots at the Rim:

2010 - 35%
    2011 - 31%
    2012 - 38%
    2013 - 37%
    2014 - 35%

He also had 2 of his 3 best shooting/efficient seasons with the Heat.

I guess we'll all see this season.
    I hope he does well. Miami is making the Playoffs unless he goes back to being a 20/10 player and starts playing in the post.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

^ Bosh definitely played in the post. Posting up doesn't mean playing on the block. posting up in the high post is still a post up. Bosh's strength isn't with his back to the basket though but rather with face ups, which is why he scores a lot jump shots and not on baby hooks, layups or dunks. In Miami, he primarily became a screen setter and a pick and pop/spot up shooter.

Bosh was an equivalent to NY David Lee. An all-Star caliber player.

Bosh was a top 5 player? A top 5 player takes his team to the Playoffs only twice in 7 years?

Another idiotic statement. BOSH said that he hates playing in the post. He DOESN'T want to play in the post anymore. He was never a post player in Toronto either. Most of his points came off of jumpers. You would know this if you actually watched the games, instead of the box-score. He definitely takes more 3 pointers, but that's part of his development as he wants to be a stretch 4/5 instead of playing in the paint. Since you love stats,

Shots at the Rim:

2010 - 35%
    2011 - 31%
    2012 - 38%
    2013 - 37%
    2014 - 35%

He also had 2 of his 3 best shooting/efficient seasons with the Heat.

I hope he does well. Miami is making the Playoffs unless he goes back to being a 20/10 player and starts playing in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by 305Baller
    Bird beats LeBron in clutch stylings for sure. But is that enough?
    Peak Bird is right there with Peak Bron. Bron will most likely end up with a better career but peak for peak, really could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
    ^ Bosh definitely played in the post. Posting up doesn't mean playing on the block. posting up in the high post is still a post up. Bosh's strength isn't with his back to the basket though but rather with face ups, which is why he scores a lot jump shots and not on baby hooks, layups or dunks. In Miami, he primarily became a screen setter and a pick and pop/spot up shooter.

Bosh was an equivalent to NY David Lee. An all-Star caliber player.
    That was just to show that even in Toronto, he stayed out of the paint. We've got idiots here who say that LeBron relegated Bosh to a glorified 3pt shooter, which is just stupid. Also, I didn't say that he never posted up (should've worded my sentence properly in the previous post). It's just something which he doesn't do often. Neither with the Raptors nor the Heat.

OP just said Bosh was a top 5 player. Was just trying to point out that at no point in his career, was Bosh a superstar. Top 10? Sure, but no way in hell was he a top 5 player in the league before he came to the Heat.

That was just to show that even in Toronto, he stayed out of the paint. We've got idiots here who say that LeBron relegated Bosh to a glorified 3pt shooter, which is just stupid. Also, I didn't say that he never posted up (should've worded my sentence properly in the previous post). It's just something which he doesn't do often. Neither with the Raptors nor the Heat.

OP just said Bosh was a top 5 player. Was just trying to point out that at no point in his career, was Bosh a superstar. Top 10? Sure, but no way in hell was he a top 5 player in the league before he came to the Heat.
    I think he wrote top 5 in his conference, not in the L. But I wouldn't say he was either way, guess it's arguable though. His best seasons were what 09 and 10? I mean, there was Lebron, Wade, Dwight, KG was busted up but still legit and anchoring the Celtics, Pierce, Bogut was a defensive monster...I don't know. I still stand that he was another David Lee type player. It'd be hard pressed to say he belongs in that top tier of players even for the conference. Top 5 PF is a lot more feasible.

I also agree that Bosh wasn't a paint player. he scored in the paint from beating his man off the dribble but his game was never as a back to the basket. It's funny though, It's possible that bosh has a better midrange than lebron and Wade so it actually makes some sense that he was used so much as a spot up shooter. In toronto, his first step was pretty damn explosive for a PF. Had to respect his jumper and his drive.

What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?
    Conference*. He wasn't a top 5 player in the EC.