Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Blu Ray

Default Re: HBO: Talking Funny (Chris Rock, Seinfeld, Gervais, Louis C.K.)

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    No he said every 5 years he has a new show. 10-20 new minutes a year.
    i haven't watched it yet, but i heard that stuff from something else

How Do U Like Me Mfer?

Did they say something funny that make you laugh?

I check the schedule and it says come on this wed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundress
    Did they say something funny that make you laugh?

I check the schedule and it says come on this wed again.
    Nope, only stuff that was funny was them recalling some of their old stand-up bits. Nothing new.

Funniest part was the song title "Sitting on a cock cause I'm gay"

Banned

the show isnt a comedy routine.. its merely a 40 minute conversation about their experience of stand up comedy..

its good for what it is, just dont go into it searching for laughs.. its more like self-driven interviews..
    Last edited by ZeN; 04-24-2011 at 02:05 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I finally caught this last night. I thought it was great.

I love them all talking about each other's style's and presentations. Jerry did one of Louis' jokes, and they all agreed that he somehow made it Seinfeldian just in that quick retelling.

Louis' observation about how Rock literally continues to repeat, and flat out drill home the premise he's working on is totally his own mechanism, and it allows him to meander on topic because he makes damn sure the audience knows what the premise is.

And Ricky Gervais' comment about how Louis puts on this presentation that his life is really falling apart when he does the material, and it makes the jokes feel genuine. Then Jerry does the same joke and it feels like it's an observation he's making about someone else, because that's his mechanism. But the joke still works.

The part about staying in the bit was really insightfull.

I found it interesting how deferential they all were to Jerry, it seemed like because his material is so pure. He does observational stuff that can seem so mundane and everyday that it seems like they as comedians view it as almost he makes it work by being that much more technically proficient.

It was a great show. Funny and insightfull at the same time.

I like Ricky Gervais, but he came across as a **** in this show.

Especially that one moment where Seinfeld made a funny joke with "does he do the whistle?". Chris Rock and Louis CK start genuinely laughing and Ricky Gervais starts laughing only after he sees them laughing, but he laughs the loudest and totally makes the joke unfunny again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    I like Ricky Gervais, but he came across as a **** in this show.

Especially that one moment where Seinfeld made a funny joke with "does he do the whistle?". Chris Rock and Louis CK start genuinely laughing and Ricky Gervais starts laughing only after he sees them laughing, but he laughs the loudest and totally makes the joke unfunny again.
    I don't know man, "does he do the whistle" pretty much capped off the night...it was ****ing brilliant

Ricky is known for laughing like that, and I don't blame him. It was a moment of genius.

Yeah, I almost always feel like Ricky Gervais oversells stuff, but it's just his natural reaction, he's not really selling material. But because of that instinct, and the crowd he was with, there were a few moments when he was a little over the top.

Ricky also had some moments where he seemed to walk over some material.

Rock seemed like the blandest out of the group. But some of that may have just been him being defferential. And it's also pretty well known that he's a material student. He may not be as good off the cuff as some of these other guys.

The real genius of the "does he do the whistle" line, is that that whole bit is so far from who Jerry is as a comedian, yet he completely played into the bit, to the point where he ended up getting the best joke out of it, even though he never once got dirty with it.

I thought the stuff about his Superman Joke that had the F Word in it was a great observation about the use of cursing in comedy though. How even he admitted the joke didn't work as well without it. And even showing an understanding of why. And when he gets his riled up Jerry voice going, it's basically replacing points where swearing would normally be put it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Thorpe, I'd love to talk to you about this... But I'm in class. I'll respond later today.

Yeah, I could see this being something I could discuss for a while. I recorded it and can't wait to watch it again.

How Do U Like Me Mfer?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I finally caught this last night. I thought it was great.

I love them all talking about each other's style's and presentations. Jerry did one of Louis' jokes, and they all agreed that he somehow made it Seinfeldian just in that quick retelling.

Louis' observation about how Rock literally continues to repeat, and flat out drill home the premise he's working on is totally his own mechanism, and it allows him to meander on topic because he makes damn sure the audience knows what the premise is.

And Ricky Gervais' comment about how Louis puts on this presentation that his life is really falling apart when he does the material, and it makes the jokes feel genuine. Then Jerry does the same joke and it feels like it's an observation he's making about someone else, because that's his mechanism. But the joke still works.

The part about staying in the bit was really insightfull.

I found it interesting how deferential they all were to Jerry, it seemed like because his material is so pure. He does observational stuff that can seem so mundane and everyday that it seems like they as comedians view it as almost he makes it work by being that much more technically proficient.

It was a great show. Funny and insightfull at the same time.

Yesterday? It says come on Wed so I put DVR on it caue I missed it.

Good read, I can't wait to watch til this wed.

Yesterday? It says come on Wed so I put DVR on it caue I missed it.

Good read, I can't wait to watch til this wed.

Yeah, it was on one of the HBOs last night at 11, and then again later in the night.

I watched Game of Thrones, The Killing, and then was going to go to sleep, but but my TV cut off because of the recording which I set a few days ago, and when I noticed it, I figured I'd just stay up the extra hour and watch it while it recorded.

Good night of TV.

I was pretty surprised HBO didn't have it available on demand.

How Do U Like Me Mfer?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Yeah, it was on one of the HBOs last night at 11, and then again later in the night.

I watched Game of Thrones, The Killing, and then was going to go to sleep, but but my TV cut off because of the recording which I set a few days ago, and when I noticed it, I figured I'd just stay up the extra hour and watch it while it recorded.

Good night of TV.

I was pretty surprised HBO didn't have it available on demand.

I have DirecTV so what do you have?

It didn't say tonight so only on this wed.

I have DirecTV so what do you have?

It didn't say tonight so only on this wed.

I have ATnT. But I'm sure the HBO schedules are the same for all the services. But I may have an HBO or two that you don't. I really don't remember which HBO it was on. But I do know it was on twice last night. Once at 11 when I watched it, and again I believe at 2am, probably a West coast feed.

I like them but Ricky and Louis killed it for me. Anytime Chris Rock tried to talk, they'd talk over him and wouldn't stfu. It got annoying. There needs to be a host.

You can see Chris Rock isn't respected by these guys.