Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Could Kobe have led the 01 Sixers to a title against the Lakers?

Kobe that year was easily the best player in the Playoffs considering what he averaged against the Western Conference (32/7/6 in 11 straight wins, around 10 ppg in 4th quarter average).

Who do the 01 Lakers have to defend Kobe?? Spurs had the best defense in the league and Kobe CRUSHED them, he was dunking on the twin towers like it was nothing, no one could stop him from getting to the rim at that point, the only game of the Playoffs Kobe wasn't on his game was Game 1 of the Finals...

If AI could win 1 game in the Finals with that cast, Kobe could do much more, possibly even win the series.

Kobe was a better offensive player than AI and was much better on the defensive end at that time...I don't see how he couldn't have won the series given he has a DPOY big, some decent role players and Larry Brown...

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    He didn't just score more points. AI scored 11 more points a game on similar efficiency. They're pretty close in other statistical categories, so not sure why there's a debate? He was clearly better than Kobe that series.

Kobe was HORRIBLE in the Game 1 loss while AI was at his best, but you look at Kobe's production in the next 4 games vs AI's

Kobe

27/9/6 on 44% shooting, 21 FGA, 20.9 GmSc

AI

33/6/3 on 39,7% shooting, 30.3 FGA, 16.9 GmSc

wow, AI must be a much better player than Kobe because he took 9 more shots to average 6 more points..

Kobe individually outplayed Iverson in 4 out of 5 games, better numbers all-around (scoring efficiency, rebounding, passing, defense)
    Last edited by ImKobe; 08-19-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Kobe fans stay cherry-picking.

OK so we gotta remove Kobe's first 2 or 3 years, then 2005 and post 2013. Now look...Kobe GOAT!!

OK so we gotta remove Kobe's first 2 or 3 years, then 2005 and post 2013. Now look...Kobe GOAT!!
    Ok, so Kobe being the better player in 4 out of 5 games doesn't make him a better player throughout the series? Averages hide how horrible AI was his remaining 4 games (30 FGA to 3 assists a game )

Am I wrong or was Kobe guarding AI in game one, got lit the **** up, and then Lue had to be put on him?

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Kobe was a better offensive player than AI and was much better on the defensive end at that time...I don't see how he couldn't have won the series given he has a DPOY big, some decent role players and Larry Brown...
    The same defensive big that was having this happen to him....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vma7PlO6kFI

Kobe may or may not outplay A.I in 2001, the disparity would not be like what we see in the vid below.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Am I wrong or was Kobe guarding AI in game one, got lit the **** up, and then Lue had to be put on him?
    no one could stop AI in Game 1, they were double/triple-teaming him and he was still making them, Kobe has defended AI rather well in his career, even kept him scoreless for an entire half in 2000.

But scoring 48 on 18/41 shooting isn't that great to begin with.

Sigh... let's go on a limb and say that Kobe on the Sixers would have put up 35ppg against LA. Which, by the way, would be better than any finals performance in his career, but let's play devils advocate. Iverson is going to go off for 30+ too, so whatever numbers Kobe puts up is very likely to be neutralized by whatever Iverson produces. The role players aren't majorly in one team or the other's favor. So then....what is the main difference? The huge disparity in production at the center position.

National High School Star

Interesting question actually.

Eric Snow
    Kobe Bryant
    Aaron McKie
    Tyrone Hill
    Dikembe Mutombo

That'd actually be a pretty decent game. I'd say AI would have a tougher time going against the trio of Snow, Bryant, McKie with Mutombo in the back than he did against the Lakers.

Alternatively, Kobe would of just had his way with the Lakers defenders. Also, I think he is a bit better of a player with a big man than AI is (and Deke averaged like 17 and 12 or something that series). I think the Sixers could double Shaq more effectively since they have a significantly taller, stronger, better defender in Kobe on the wings.

It would be very interesting. Prolly still Lakers 4-2, but honestly could see it going the other way too. That year Kobe was at his absolute physical prime. He could of easily dropped 38+ ppg if he was given 100% green light for an entire series like AI was.

Banned

easly

He didn't just score more points. AI scored 11 more points a game on similar efficiency. They're pretty close in other statistical categories, so not sure why there's a debate? He was clearly better than Kobe that series.

It's rather pathetic isn't it?
    I'd want to do this with Lebron and Jordan and Shaq and see how their already staggering numbers somehow, some way, IMPROVE.

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Interesting question actually.

Eric Snow
    Kobe Bryant
    Aaron McKie
    Tyrone Hill
    Dikembe Mutombo

That'd actually be a pretty decent game. I'd say AI would have a tougher time going against the trio of Snow, Bryant, McKie with Mutombo in the back than he did against the Lakers.

Alternatively, Kobe would of just had his way with the Lakers defenders. Also, I think he is a bit better of a player with a big man than AI is (and Deke averaged like 17 and 12 or something that series). I think the Sixers could double Shaq more effectively since they have a significantly taller, stronger, better defender in Kobe on the wings.

It would be very interesting. Prolly still Lakers 4-2, but honestly could see it going the other way too. That year Kobe was at his absolute physical prime. He could of easily dropped 38+ ppg if he was given 100% green light for an entire series like AI was.
    Thank you, finally a poster who actually evaluates every-thing instead of these simpletons thinking it's as simple as taking AI's production and assuming he'd do the exact same thing playing with Shaquille and taking Kobe's production and assuming he'd struggle the same way against George & Fox as he did against Mutombo, Snow & McKie.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    He was. You're spot on here. Similar to the Gilbert Arenas game in 07 when Kobe asked to switch onto him and Arenas proceeded to put up 16 points on Kobe in a 5 minutes stretch, before taking a bow in front of the staples center crowd, having just annihilated the number one star on their team on his own turf.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    easly
    Was going through some old threads and found a few hillsrious posts from your old days. Please revert to the days of old when you would make everyone fall down with laughter rather than the current trite Kobe shtick. You're one of the funniest posters on this site. As is that African poster who makes up his own analytical formulae and who's name escapes me at the moment, unfortunately.