Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I always get props for my speed in football and basketball, but my 40's time never correlate to that.

Same here. I played safety with a bit of corner and other things and could run with anybody on the field. But id always be middle of the pack on my 40 times.

Coach would lie though. Always trying to make his key players out to be more than we were. My senior year I was listed 6'5'' 225 and in the season guide had it say I benched like 350 with a 4'4 40. At best I was benching 310 and im not even 100% sure im 6'3'' without shoes. Closer to 3 than 2 if im not though. And I was about 210 then.

I doubt anyone on our team was as big or athletic as we were listed.

Local High School Star

ht: 5'9"
    weight:170 lbs
    vertical leap: 38 from a standstill, about 43 with an approach
    max bench: I have no idea now...probably 230? Highest was 275 in high school, 6 years ago but I'm still in shape.
    standing reach: 7'4"
    wingspan: 6'0"
    40 yard dash: Not sure, but I'd guess high 4's. Not that fast on the straight run.

lol: smh:

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchCityReturns
    max bench: I have no idea now...probably 230? Highest was 275 in high school, 6 years ago but I'm still in shape.
    40 yard dash: Not sure, but I'd guess high 4's. Not that fast on the straight run.
    how did u get those hops? were u natrually born with it?

Superstar

nice ups clutch. did you get on any kind of workout or program or is it just natural?

I am obsessed with demonizing Kobe

That is very similar to mine.

Height: 5'8
    Weight: 175
    Vertical: 36-40 with an approach
    Max Bench: 305
    Standing reach: no clue
    Wingspan: no clue
    40 yard dash: no clue

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by mhsbasketball
    how did u get those hops? were u natrually born with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by hotsizzle
    nice ups clutch. did you get on any kind of workout or program or is it just natural?
    Thanks.

Basically natural. I've been able to hang on the rim since about 6th grade, which at that age is a big deal for someone who was about 5'6". When I got to high school and was on the basketball team I never really worked on my legs that much...basically just calf raises on a machine like this one.

I did do a pretty tough workout on it though. I'll explain it if you want the details.

Outside of that, I've never done a program or jumpsoles or anything like that. Plus, I haven't even done the calf raises since high school (6 years ago) and that picture of me jumping is from the last 6 months or so. So mostly natural, I would say. Lucky me

Superstar

Thanks.

Basically natural. I've been able to hang on the rim since about 6th grade, which at that age is a big deal for someone who was about 5'6". When I got to high school and was on the basketball team I never really worked on my legs that much...basically just calf raises on a machine like this one.

I did do a pretty tough workout on it though. I'll explain it if you want the details.

Outside of that, I've never done a program or jumpsoles or anything like that. Plus, I haven't even done the calf raises since high school (6 years ago) and that picture of me jumping is from the last 6 months or so. So mostly natural, I would say. Lucky me
    6th grade and 5'6" i used to workout on those calf machines although not very religously though. i got no where near 43 but i was considered as someone with hops. was at 32 in hs, then i really wanted to dunk bad so i got this program thats supposed to add 14 inches (its a 28 week program)...i did it for the first 8 weeks...and was able to put it down after that so I stopped kind of a mistake cuz i could have been higher but at least i've never lost those inches i gained

btw, being 6th grade at 5'6", you should have grew alot more than 3 inches. dont mean anything by it but just surprising cuz it seems you never hit that point where you just surge into a growth spurt

Local High School Star

btw, being 6th grade at 5'6", you should have grew alot more than 3 inches. dont mean anything by it but just surprising cuz it seems you never hit that point where you just surge into a growth spurt
    Trust me, I know

I hit 5'6" in 6th or 7th grade, and was probably about 5'8" in 8th grade. I was exclusively a post player in junior high. Worked from the right block/baseline with my back to the basket, tried to emulate the dream shake (it was decent for my age lol) and stuff like that. Never handled the ball, never shot 3's. My jumper actually looked like a mix of Drexler and Bird, except not good.

When I got to high school I played post on my freshman team but was still only 5'9". Then at the end of my freshman year one of the assistant coaches joked with me "When are you gonna grow? You're not gonna be able to play post on varsity, so you better come back taller after the summer...either that or learn how to play shooting guard".

Well, when summer came it wasn't much of a joke anymore because I didn't grow...at all. I decided I better work on my outside game, and that's basically all I did. I ended up on JV for a year and got used to the new role, and then in my junior year I made varsity and actually lead the Houston area in 3pt% for most of the year. My shot went from Drexler and Bird (and not going in the basket) to a mix of Mike Miller and Kobe Bryant. Night and day really.

Anyway, I'm rambling on. The point is yes, I stopped growing really early and abruptly. It sucks, but oh well...I adjusted well. What's funny is that when I was younger my pediatrician told me that I was projected to be 6'3". I remember being all sad about it because that wasn't tall enough to play shooting guard in the NBA Boy was I stupid...I'd kill to be 6'3" now.
    Last edited by ClutchCityReturns; 01-21-2007 at 07:33 AM.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Lot of people stop growing early. Im not a bit taller than I was at mid 15. Kinda annoying but not too bad. I could dunk at 14 and dunk on a regular basis at 15 and expected to be about Jordan height at 18. Nope. Still 6'3''. One step vertical or on the run I imagine I was in the very low 40 inch range. If I kept that up and grew to about 6'6'' id have enjoyed my Jordan like glides to the rim over helpless defenders.

But no. Had to settle for poor mans Baron Davis "Sneak one in now and then" facials on opponents. And as a 2 footed jumper didnt have too much gliding. Lacked range. So I could go high over someone but none of that Dr.J majestic gliding ****.

Lot of people I knew who couldnt dunk wished they could dunk like me and all I wished was that I could dunk like Doc, MJ, and Drexler. The great one foot jumpers. Me stuck as a wannabe Jason Richardson with a non fluid windmill and 360 that was more a 200 and something.

Oh well.

Superstar

Trust me, I know

I hit 5'6" in 6th or 7th grade, and was probably about 5'8" in 8th grade. I was exclusively a post player in junior high. Worked from the right block/baseline with my back to the basket, tried to emulate the dream shake (it was decent for my age lol) and stuff like that. Never handled the ball, never shot 3's. My jumper actually looked like a mix of Drexler and Bird, except not good.

When I got to high school I played post on my freshman team but was still only 5'9". Then at the end of my freshman year one of the assistant coaches joked with me "When are you gonna grow? You're not gonna be able to play post on varsity, so you better come back taller after the summer...either that or learn how to play shooting guard".

Well, when summer came it wasn't much of a joke anymore because I didn't grow...at all. I decided I better work on my outside game, and that's basically all I did. I ended up on JV for a year and got used to the new role, and then in my junior year I made varsity and actually lead the Houston area in 3pt% for most of the year. My shot went from Drexler and Bird to a mix of Mike Miller and Kobe Bryant. Night and day really.

Anyway, I'm rambling on. The point is yes, I stopped growing really early and abruptly. It sucks, but oh well...I adjusted well. What's funny is that when I was younger my pediatrician told me that I was projected to be 6'3". I remember being all sad about it because that wasn't tall enough to play shooting guard in the NBA Boy was I stupid...I'd kill to be 6'3" now.
    damn, that'd break my heart. you probably hit your growth spurt hella early. how tall are your parents?

I was always short all my life and i thought i'd stay short. Luckily I hit a growth spurt in the summer between my junior and senior yr... took me from 5'6" to 5'10". I thought I'd grow more than that but only grew about 2 more inches. i havent given up on growing yet though...wasnt it dennis rodman that grew 9 inches in a yr when he was like 17 or something??? some players also grew a few inches in college

haha 6'3" SG is very possible in the NBA though

Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Lot of people stop growing early. Im not a bit taller than I was at mid 15. Kinda annoying but not too bad. I could dunk at 14 and dunk on a regular basis at 15 and expected to be about Jordan height at 18. Nope. Still 6'3''. One step vertical or on the run I imagine I was in the very low 40 inch range. If I kept that up and grew to about 6'6'' id have enjoyed my Jordan like glides to the rim over helpless defenders.

But no. Had to settle for poor mans Baron Davis "Sneak one in now and then" facials on opponents. And as a 2 footed jumper didnt have too much gliding. Lacked range. So I could go high over someone but none of that Dr.J majestic gliding ****.

Lot of people I knew who couldnt dunk wished they could dunk like me and all I wished was that I could dunk like Doc, MJ, and Drexler. The great one foot jumpers. Me stuck as a wannabe Jason Richardson with a non fluid windmill and 360 that was more a 200 and something.

Oh well.
    yea whats up with that? im a 2 footed jumper also and people tell me to try jumping off one foot and i'll elevate higher but no matter what, it doent feel comfortable at all...is it something someone can get used to or is it just natural instinct???

Good college starter LakersDynasty's Avatar

That's nothing unusual. I was 5'9 at the end of 8th grade and only grew 2 inches after that, at the time I thought I would be around 6'2 especially since I was in the best shape of my life, exercising a lot, eating right and playing basketball pretty much every day, oh well. I did start lifting weights for about 2 years in high school so I'm sure that's partially responsible for me not growing as much as I thought I would. My uncle was 21 when he went to the army and was 5'5 at the time and came back at age 23 and was 5'10. Guess everyone is different in that regard, it's much more consistent with females though.

Local High School Star

damn, that'd break my heart. you probably hit your growth spurt hella early. how tall are your parents?

I was always short all my life and i thought i'd stay short. Luckily I hit a growth spurt in the summer between my junior and senior yr... took me from 5'6" to 5'10". I thought I'd grow more than that but only grew about 2 more inches. i havent given up on growing yet though...wasnt it dennis rodman that grew 9 inches in a yr when he was like 17 or something??? some players also grew a few inches in college

haha 6'3" SG is very possible in the NBA though
    My mom is about 5'7" and my dad is about 6'1". Both my sisters are decently tall for girls (both about 5'7") so I figured 6'3" was a realistic possibility. Wrong lol.

Well I figure if other people read this thread they might want to know the workout for the calf raise machine (we called it the supercat but I'm not sure if everyone else does. So here's what I did...

There was about 400lbs of weight on the machine. I'd start at 200 and do a set of 50 quick raises. Next was 25 medium speed raises at 300. Then came the hard stuff. 400lbs (all the weight), 25 raises with a hitch in the middle. Basically I went halfway up, paused, and then went the rest of the way. Much harder that way. After that I would stretch them out real good, usually let someone else use the machine for a bit, and then go for my last set...also known as "murder". 400lbs, 25 raises, hitch in the middle, and holding at the top. But not just any kind of holding lol. Whatever # rep I was on, I held for that long. So the first rep was "1...down", second was "1, 2...down", 10th was "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10...down", and so on. By the 25th rep I'd held for a total of 325 seconds, or 5 1/2 minutes basically. On top of that I would hold on the last one until I couldn't take it anymore. It took a lot of willpower because at that point my legs were always shaking uncontrollably.

It burned a little bit afterward Plus I'd have broken blood vessels all over my shoulders from the padding, which was about as soft as, oh I don't know...granite? Towels did little to help.

Of course if anybody plans on doing that workout, it'd probably be wise to start at lower weights and go up from there. The idea is that you want to do the last 2 sets on the most weight you possibly can.

Local High School Star

yea whats up with that? im a 2 footed jumper also and people tell me to try jumping off one foot and i'll elevate higher but no matter what, it doent feel comfortable at all...is it something someone can get used to or is it just natural instinct???
    If I can palm the ball really well, I can dunk off 1 foot. Otherwise it's just not gonna happen. I don't feel anywhere near the same explosion I get from 2 footed jumps.

Superstar

My mom is about 5'7" and my dad is about 6'1". Both my sisters are decently tall for girls (both about 5'7") so I figured 6'3" was a realistic possibility. Wrong lol.

Well I figure if other people read this thread they might want to know the workout for the calf raise machine (we called it the supercat but I'm not sure if everyone else does. So here's what I did...

There was about 400lbs of weight on the machine. I'd start at 200 and do a set of 50 quick raises. Next was 25 medium speed raises at 300. Then came the hard stuff. 400lbs (all the weight), 25 raises with a hitch in the middle. Basically I went halfway up, paused, and then went the rest of the way. Much harder that way. After that I would stretch them out real good, usually let someone else use the machine for a bit, and then go for my last set...also known as "murder". 400lbs, 25 raises, hitch in the middle, and holding at the top. But not just any kind of holding lol. Whatever # rep I was on, I held for that long. So the first rep was "1...down", second was "1, 2...down", 10th was "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10...down", and so on. By the 25th rep I'd held for a total of 325 seconds, or 5 1/2 minutes basically. On top of that I would hold on the last one until I couldn't take it anymore. It took a lot of willpower because at that point my legs were always shaking uncontrollably.

It burned a little bit afterward Plus I'd have broken blood vessels all over my shoulders from the padding, which was about as soft as, oh I don't know...granite? Towels did little to help.

Of course if anybody plans on doing that workout, it'd probably be wise to start at lower weights and go up from there. The idea is that you want to do the last 2 sets on the most weight you possibly can.
    that is some insane sh!t