Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Orlando Dwight

7-time NBA All-Star

Default Orlando Dwight

With all of these ignorant threads about Dwight, I feel it necessary to create my own. Anyone who actually WATCHED Dwight in Orlando knows these things, but here are some things that will prove this is NOT the same Dwight that averaged 23/14 in Orlando. He could create his shot, and he had to in Orlando. Can he right now? I don't know. He's nowhere near the athlete he was on a consistent basis, he's not playing as hard, and his coach is not putting him in a position to succeed, unlike Stan Van Gundy who was a fine coach, actually a better coach than his brother Jeff, and much better than Pringles.

Here are 2 ordinary games for 2011 Dwight where you can see him regularly creating his own shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaBfW...ex=197#t=1m09s

Some more from the same game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaBfW...ex=197#t=1m40s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaBfW...ex=197#t=2m05s

Not an unusual game for him by any stretch. And here's another game that was also by no stretch unusual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga1b8...ex=198#t=1m04s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga1b8...ex=198#t=1m11s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga1b8...ex=198#t=1m28s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga1b8...ex=198#t=2m00s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga1b8...ex=198#t=2m49s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga1b8...ex=198#t=3m00s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga1b8...ex=198#t=3m27s

Just 2 games...and by no means were they his best.

You can't average 23/14 by being spoonfed, especially without an above average playmaker. But that's just offense, his defense has been nowhere near where it was. He's consistently late on his rotations, so while he's among the leaders in blocks, this is not the Orlando Dwight defensively.

I question how long some of you kids have watched basketball, or how many teams you watch, because if you think Dwight could have the success he did in Orlando, and perform the way he has this year while being the same player, then you clearly don't know the game.

Oh, and D'Antoni does deserve a lot of blame. I watched him in NY, and the guy is a moron, don't try to dispute it. When he doesn't have a roster with one of the best PG ever in his prime running everything, he's clueless. Dwight's problems right now go beyond the coach, but he'd be better with just about any coach, and so would the Lakers.

Default Re: Orlando Dwight

good job, he can take someone 1 v 1 while all the other players are out beyond the 3 point line... to bad he cant do the same with the lakers, who dont have the same perimeter shooters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NagLLJ6ZuTw

Not sure what the fuss is about. He will be back to his self one day

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by selrahc
    good job, he can take someone 1 v 1 while all the other players are out beyond the 3 point line... to bad he cant do the same with the lakers, who dont have the same perimeter shooters.
    Nice argument, asshole, really well thought out. That will really change my outlook.

Dwight Howard held Steve Francis back

NBA rookie of the year

You don't have to be so condescending, Shaq. You're as big an idiot as anyone else here.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    You don't have to be so condescending, Shaq. You're as big an idiot as anyone else here.
    I may be an idiot, I don't know, but judging by the idiots I see spewing misinformed garbage I must be a relative genius.

I HATE revionist history. Some people try to pretend that Dwight could never do anything offensively, and that just shows ignorance. Frankly, I'm tired of it. Normally, I wouldn't have the energy, but I've had my pint of Jack and 6 pack of Heinekens so I'm ready for the trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I may be an idiot, I don't know, but judging by the idiots I see spewing misinformed garbage I must be a relative genius.

I HATE revionist history. Some people try to pretend that Dwight could never do anything offensively, and that just shows ignorance. Frankly, I'm tired of it. Normally, I wouldn't have the energy, but I've had my pint of Jack and 6 pack of Heinekens so I'm ready for the trolls.
    he never could do anything offensively... if i had his body and athleticism I would be averaging 35 ppg

7-time NBA All-Star

he never could do anything offensively... if i had his body and athleticism I would be averaging 35 ppg
    But you don't know have his body, and I seriously doubt you could average 35 with any body. Why don't you bring an argument with substance? Are you capable? I seriously doubt it, so prove me wrong. And if you don't care, then fuck off.

Oh, and obviously he could do something offensively considering the way he was producing in Orlando. And if he couldn't, well then his current play wouldn't be such a letdown.

But you don't know have his body, and I seriously doubt you could average 35 with any body. Why don't you bring an argument with substance? Are you capable? I seriously doubt it, so prove me wrong. And if you don't care, then fuck off.

Oh, and obviously he could do something offensively considering the way he was producing in Orlando. And if he couldn't, well then his current play wouldn't be such a letdown.
    in that first video, all dwight howard does is a little hesitation where he is basically faking a spin move, then throw up a hook shot on single coverage jason collins, on every single play... that is not really showing off his offensive skill when he does one move every time. i could do that on jason collins even without dwight howards body

7-time NBA All-Star

in that first video, all dwight howard does is a little hesitation where he is basically faking a spin move, then throw up a hook shot on single coverage jason collins, on every single play... that is not really showing off his offensive skill when he does one move every time. i could do that on jason collins even without dwight howards body
    First of all, you couldn't do that without Dwight's body. Maybe you could execute the moves, but you wouldn't average 23/14 on 59%. More importantly, I never claimed he was Hakeem, I claimed he could create shots in the post, and he did. Are you going to dispute that?

First of all, you couldn't do that without Dwight's body. Maybe you could execute the moves, but you wouldn't average 23/14 on 59%. More importantly, I never claimed he was Hakeem, I claimed he could create shots in the post, and he did. Are you going to dispute that?
    he did it with jason collins defending him

thats like saying jose calderon is an elite point guard because he owned steve nash

NBA rookie of the year

Dwight's been getting ripped for his offensive game for years. And he's never been a Hakeem or Duncan when creating his own shots. He certainly looks a lot worse now, but I think he actually peaked a couple of years ago, as far as this offensive slide into uselessness we're seeing.

I think his lack of fundamentals (he has really bad hands for stuff like the pick and roll, and has no clue what to do with the ball in traffic), the lack of the Lakers to implement a system that caters perfectly to his game (they don't have the shooters), his back injury/lost athleticism, and the fact that apparently he's an immature bag of shit is all conspiring against him and the Lakers. Plus he and Kobe obviously don't get along, but that seems to be a recurring theme with Kobe.

Nice posts, ShaqAttack.

I've seen your other posts regarding your frustration of people bagging on Dwight's game. I didn't need the history lesson, off course, because I've seen enough of Dwight's game to know he can be potent offensively. I've seen him destroy my team in a 5 game playoff series because of how dominant he was in the paint. And that was when his post game wasn't nearly as polished in 2010-11.

The 2 things that are obviously hindering his game is 1) Not being used in the right situations 2) The back issues.

My guess is that he should just leave this team in the off season because I think he wants an easier look towards a championship, which is why that whole circus in Orlando happened.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    Dwight's been getting ripped for his offensive game for years. And he's never been a Hakeem or Duncan when creating his own shots. He certainly looks a lot worse now, but I think he actually peaked a couple of years ago, as far as this offensive slide into uselessness we're seeing.

I think his lack of fundamentals (he has really bad hands for stuff like the pick and roll, and has no clue what to do with the ball in traffic), the lack of the Lakers to implement a system that caters perfectly to his game (they don't have the shooters), his back injury/lost athleticism, and the fact that apparently he's an immature bag of shit is all conspiring against him and the Lakers. Plus he and Kobe obviously don't get along, but that seems to be a recurring theme with Kobe.
    I agree that he peaked in 2011, it's unfortunate, but I don't see him topping his play then, and I had VERY high hopes for him. I don't blame Kobe, though. It's a combination of his back surgery, his effort and D'Antoni's TERRIBLE coaching. You're a Knick fan, right? You remember how bad D'Antoni was?

he did it with jason collins defending him

thats like saying jose calderon is an elite point guard because he owned steve nash
    Typical ignorance. 1 on 1 match ups are all that matters. By the way, Jason Collins was a fine post defender. And does Calderon play like an elite player consistently? Well, Dwight did in Orlando.