Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why is Oscar Robertson not a lock for top 10?????

Quote Originally Posted by INDI
    I have been guilty of leaving Oscar out of the top 10 for much of my "top ten" lists, but truthfully it should be impossible to do so. I know stats are not the full story but if stats were the only thing we judged careers upon, then Oscar would be the unanimous GOAT.

for example ONLY, I did a comparison to Lebron's career (since many are starting to consider him top ten alltime).

Oscar (career stats)

25.7 ppg, 9.5 apg, 7.5 rpg, .485 fg%, .838 ft%

Lebron

27.6 ppg, 6.9 apg, 7.3 rpg, .490 fg%, .747 ft%

egde goes to Oscar

Oscar (best season)

30.8 ppg, 11.4 apg, 12.1 rpg

Lebron

29.7 ppg, 8.6 apg, 7.3 rpg

edge goes to Oscar (probably the best statistical season of all-time)

Oscar (other stats)

1 championship, 1 mvp, 9 all nba firsts, 2 all nba second team, 3 all star mvp, R.O.Y,

6 seasons of 30+ ppg, 8 seasons of 10+ assts, 4 seasons of 10+ rpg

Lebron

1 championship, 4 mvp, 7 all nba first, 2 all nba second (i think), 2 all star mvp, R.O.Y

2 seasons of 30+ppg, 0 seasons of 10+ assts, 0 seasons of 10+ rpg

edge goes to Oscar.

The only knocks that you will ever hear about Oscar is that he only has 1 mvp and 1 championship. This is easily understandable playing in a era that boasted Russell, Wilt, and Jabbar, which happens to be the 3 greatest big men of alltime. Celtics with all of those hall of famers would be impossible for anybody to win consistently against.

the other knock is saying he couldnt do that in this ERA. He can't help when he was born and if it was easy enough to average a triple double then why has no one else from that era done it?????? (and Oscar came close to doing it 5 times!!!!).

I believe that overall Oscar should be a lock for the top 10, as much as I love hakeem there is no way he should be above the big O.

Stop it... just stop...

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by teddytwelvetoes
    If those Celtics teams had Wilt instead of Russell they wouldn't have won 11 chips in 13 years

That season where Oscar averaged a triple double Wilt averaged 50pts 25rbs in 48.5 minutes per game. Russ won MVP
    please stop posting idiot. They probably would have won more than 11 championships if Wilt was on the Celtics. Russell's whole starting lineup were all stars and great role players, while a friggin all star hall of famer in his prime (Havlicek) came off the bench.
    Last edited by MiseryCityTexas; 06-09-2013 at 05:11 PM.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Sorry, but I would put Oscar ahead of Kobe. Kobe has stats and numbers, but he's not even a top 10 player. Now some people just look at championships and accolades as the criteria for greatness. Not necessarily.

Gimme Worthy over LBJ. Nebraskanball's Avatar

And that's why I laugh at anyone that has Lebron in there top 10 right now. Complete morons.

Gimme Worthy over LBJ. Nebraskanball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Sorry, but I would put Oscar ahead of Kobe. Kobe has stats and numbers, but he's not even a top 10 player. Now some people just look at championships and accolades as the criteria for greatness. Not necessarily.
    It's championships + stats + accolades + impact + true skill = a players all time ranking.

Now a Cavs fan again

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraskanball
    And that's why I laugh at anyone that has Lebron in there top 10 right now. Complete morons.
    Anyone who doesn't believe LeBron is currently top 10 all-time and a virtual lock to finish at worst top 4-5 all-time is clinically insane. The game has never seen someone this versatile/dominant who excels at basically all aspects of the game.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho
    Duncan is definitively better than Hakeem.
    From a career aspect, certainly. And since all time ranking weighs heavy on career accomplishments, you can't really argue Duncan > Hakeem.

But, from an individual standpoint, Hakeem scored, defended, and passed just as well as Duncan. Also, Hakeem's peak > Duncan's peak.

-- Career --
    Hakeem: 22 PPG, 11 RPG, 3 APG, 3 BPG, 2 SPG, 51% FG.

Duncan: 20 PPG, 11 RPG, 3 APG, 2 BPG, 1 SPG, 51% FG.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by 2010splash
    Anyone who doesn't believe LeBron is currently top 10 all-time and a virtual lock to finish at worst top 4-5 all-time is clinically insane. The game has never seen someone this versatile/dominant who excels at basically all aspects of the game.
    You're the same person that said this Miami Heat team is Top 3 All Time. Needless to say, you're opinion is meaningless.

You're the one that's clinically insane if you think that 1 championship + 1 FMVP is grand enough to have Lebron in the Top 10 GOAT list. After another championship this season, I'd put him in there at #10 over Hakeem. But until then, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho
    Duncan is definitively better than Hakeem.
    Hakeem was a better player than Duncan, so no.

Now a Cavs fan again

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    You're the same person that said this Miami Heat team is Top 3 All Time. Needless to say, you're opinion is meaningless.

You're the one that's clinically insane if you think that 1 championship + 1 FMVP is grand enough to have Lebron in the Top 10 GOAT list. After another championship this season, I'd put him in there at #10 over Hakeem. But until then, no.
    If they win the title, sure. 66 wins, 27 wins in a row, 37 of the last 39 in the regular season, led by imo a top-2 peak player ever (27/8/7, 56.5 FG%, 64.0 TS%, legendary defense) whose all-around stats and efficiency are basically unmatched (only Jordan compares). It’s not that outrageous of a claim. The ’92 Bulls are close to being a top 3 team ever and had plenty of resistance in the playoffs. Except nobody will take issue with calling the ’92 Bulls a top 3 team ever since they played in the 90’s.

And LeBron has already passed Hakeem. Are you high? What the hell does Hakeem have over LeBron besides one more championship? LeBron has 4x as many MVP’s and has made his peers look like nothing. Hakeem has 1 MVP.

You think that a guy who belongs in a category that only Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, and Russell belong to isn’t even top 10 all-time? Goodness, this board sometimes is just too much. Always good for a laugh.

Do you think Wilt Chamberlain is merely #10 all-time? Because after this season, he and LeBron will be identical in the MVP’s/titles categories.

If they win the title, sure. 66 wins, 27 wins in a row, 37 of the last 39 in the regular season, led by imo a top-2 peak player ever (27/8/7, 56.5 FG%, 64.0 TS%, legendary defense) whose all-around stats and efficiency are basically unmatched (only Jordan compares). It’s not that outrageous of a claim. The ’92 Bulls are close to being a top 3 team ever and had plenty of resistance in the playoffs. Except nobody will take issue with calling the ’92 Bulls a top 3 team ever since they played in the 90’s.
    That '92 Bulls team had fewer holes and the East was a lot tougher then than it was this year. The Heat are not a top 3 all-time. Off the top of my head, the '67 76ers, '86 Celtics, '87 Lakers, '72 Lakers, '92 or '96 Bulls (maybe both), either Bad Boy Pistons team, '83 76ers, and '01 Lakers are better.

And LeBron has already passed Hakeem. Are you high? What the hell does Hakeem have over LeBron besides one more championship? LeBron has 4x as many MVP’s and has made his peers look like nothing. Hakeem has 1 MVP.
    You can argue Hakeem, at his best, was every bit as good and impactful as current LeBron. And the stats back that up before you go into your "but the stats don't show that" tirade; because you're the same person that says prime/peak Kareem's stats don't compare to LeBron's.
    Last edited by KG215; 06-09-2013 at 06:21 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

ILeBron has 4x as many MVP’s and has made his peers look like nothing. .
    Haha.. Compared to Hakeems peers... Prime Jordan Barkley malone Robinson bird magic to young Durant, Dwight, rose, wade, old Kobe/duncan/dirk/KG, Lebron's peers HAVE been nothing.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Stop it... just stop...

Stop what? Everything listed there goes to Oscar.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Pretty simple. He wasn't a winner. He won only one championship, and even then he wasn't the finals MVP. How can you put someone like that in the top 10, especially if he only has 1 MVP? The answer is you can't

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by keep-itreal
    because he played in a water down era, played against a bunch of stiff unathletic white man.
    Please show me all the other players that averaged a triple double, or even approached one, all while maintaining efficiency and PPG. If it is ERA SPECIFIC then there would be more than a select handful of all-time greats that were able to approach those numbers.

However, since there ARE only a handful, that clearly points towards ability and skill. And with no time machine invented/possible, all we can really look towards is a players' ability relative to his peers. It is very clear that Oscar was clearly better than all but one or two of his peers, and significantly better at that.