Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FIBA ball

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: FIBA ball

So hows the Molten GL7 ball going? still liking it?

I went to the shops to get a good indoor basketball, I was torn up between Spalding TF-1000 (cheapest out of the 3), Spalding NBA Game Ball (similar price as GL7) and the Molten GL7 (similar price to the Spalding NBA).
    Ended up getting the Spalding NBA Game Ball because I think it's better made than the Molten GL7 and I think the Spalding felt better in my hands.

The Spalding TF-1000 was sweet, it was the game ball when I was playing other school in high school but I wanted to try something different.

EDIT :- Oh by the way I like the look of the 8-panel basketballs better.
    Last edited by Ives; 09-24-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Saw a basketball once

Ives,
    Did you think that the GL7 was a little slicker that the NBA Official Ball?

I ended up getting the GL7 just to be different. It did feel cheap when I first felt the ball. Although the bounce was very very good. Also as I play with the ball more, the ball is a little slick at first but then it starts to get a little sticky as my hands get sweaty.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

Honestly, I haven't gotten to use it yet. It does feel slicker though. But once football ends here I'll be able to workout in the school gym and shoot around between the students gym classes, so i'll have a better assessment then.

Learning to shoot layups

The GL7 did feel a little bit slicker than the Spalding NBA game ball... but after a few months of regular use, I would imagine that they would feel similar. By the time your GL7 ball is worn-in, you'd get used to its feel. Both balls are great... either way you can't lose. It's a matter of preference I'd say.

Finally got a chance to shoot around with the GL7 the other day.

I would say overall I like it.
    It is a bit slicker than composite obviously that has been stated. However, I have in between hands. I can palm a composite without problem, pure leather, not so well to do so in a gam, but I ain't dunking anytime soon.

I don't think the slickness affects handling much, I would say the bounce of the ball does more...definately a different bounce feel, will take some getting used to.

I feel I can shoot this, and the older leather balls better since I don't get it "stuck" in my hands, which happens often with the composite balls when I shoot.

I would say this ball gets an A- grade from me. Little deduction for the bounce and overall slickness.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ABPrints
    Finally got a chance to shoot around with the GL7 the other day.

I would say overall I like it.
    It is a bit slicker than composite obviously that has been stated. However, I have in between hands. I can palm a composite without problem, pure leather, not so well to do so in a gam, but I ain't dunking anytime soon.

I don't think the slickness affects handling much, I would say the bounce of the ball does more...definately a different bounce feel, will take some getting used to.

I feel I can shoot this, and the older leather balls better since I don't get it "stuck" in my hands, which happens often with the composite balls when I shoot.

I would say this ball gets an A- grade from me. Little deduction for the bounce and overall slickness.
    FIBA ball sucks imo...You cant really tell how much until you play for real with it. When everyone is sweating the ball becomes very slippery and it screws up my release sometimes. I would say it one of the worst balls I have used in an organized game but it does look cool

Learning to shoot layups

Hmm should I gamble and get myself the Molten GL7 ball?

Why oh why do they have to put that creme panels on the ball. Imo it makes it look like a toy rather than a proper basketball. :)

This picture looks good tho...

Oh man I dont know. :)
    Last edited by Ives; 10-02-2008 at 02:55 AM.

If you are unsure and are used to playing with composite, get the GF7 I would think. I have not used the GF7, but would probably be a better option based on others views here.

I like the creme panels, plus I think it adds a little visual to see rotation of the ball if you are just shooting around and practicing.

Saw a basketball once

OoOOoOO!! The Molten balls!! I really want one!! I thought they were more expensive than $70??

Learning to shoot layups

Last night I played some ball with the Molten GF7 ball. I totally hated it... it feels light, it bounces too high, feels like a cheap toy basketball. (sorry if anyone likes the GF7). :)

Spalding ball for me all the way... but --sigh-- a ball is a ball right? :/

EDIT :- Anyone that has played with Molten GL7 ball, do you think they feel much different that Spalding balls?
    Last edited by Ives; 10-28-2008 at 02:05 AM.

Saw a basketball once

On the topic of balls, I recently bought the Nike Jordan ST ball. I was wondering if it is alrite to use this ball outside because im not sure whether the composite leather will get eaten by the concrete.

Learning to shoot layups

I personally dont have one of those Jordan Shooting ball... but the composite leather seems soft and I think it'll wear out quick when used outdoor.

I just got a GF7... and holy sh*t was it a big change. I went from a Nike Trifecta to the Molten GF7.

Like Younggrease said, the GF7 is WAY more slippery - so much so that I tossed up a lot of airballs (due to the ball slipping out of my hands during the release) before getting used to it. The first time I tried one of the slicker Molten balls, I hated it because they'd just slip out your hands easily once sweat got on them.

But it's been good for my shooting form - I've had to pay special attention to my finger positioning, keeping my elbow and hand in line, and getting the ball at the right position before my release. Whereas with the old ball, I could get away with a nonperfect form because it wasn't slick at all. Once sweat gets on the GF7, you gotta be careful.

Overall, I like it - it's forced me to improve my form and ball control. And the way I see it, if you're used to practicing with a slicker/more slippery ball, things can only get better when you use one with more grip. Should come in handy once our season starts again.

And jezz66, I wouldn't recommend wasting a Jordan ball on concrete. Well, if it's relatively smooth concrete you could get away with it. But on asphalt, it's going to get ripped up after a few months.

where can i get the molten gf7?? or do they not make them anymore??? if not does anyone know or used the molten gm7 and know if its a good ball?? for outdoor.
    heres the ball : http://www.amazon.com/Molten-Officia.../dp/B001E15UWC

Quote Originally Posted by Canes
    where can i get the molten gf7?? or do they not make them anymore??? if not does anyone know or used the molten gm7 and know if its a good ball?? for outdoor.
    heres the ball : http://www.amazon.com/Molten-Officia.../dp/B001E15UWC

anyone?